Picture of Sonny Liston and Rocky Marciano

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by The Undefeated Lachbuster, Apr 14, 2019.

1. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    He's ranked #37 in the world, higher than Stiverne, Schwarz, Price, Dubois, Arreola, etc

2. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    There's something more than pure fan boyism going on here. Protecting the plate like this, to this degree of actual self delusion, really speaks to deeper, more profound motivations.

JC40, Clean & Crisp, mcvey and 3 others like this.
  3. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Oh don't even pretend that you dont know that Marciano had back and family issues at that age, not to mention Al Weill

He was growing into a shell of himself, Liston aged MUCH better. Not to mention chin has no correlation with deterioration with age, outside brain damage. Usually a fighter's will and defense suffers

Bonecrusher likes this.
  4. Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher Lineal Champion Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Me personally I’m equal a fan of Rocky and Sonny. I was responding honestly that it surprised me that they looked relatively the same size in that picture. Nothing more nothing less. I have ZERO agenda.

5. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Everyone says they're "training their best" in preparation for an upcoming bout. What do you expect them to say?

Charles was very worn indeed when he challenged Marciano. Let's not pretend otherwise. And Matthews was a light-heavy.

mcvey, mrkoolkevin and Bonecrusher like this.
  6. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Oh the age excuse now.....

The facts are Liston's chin was cracked something rotten by a much smaller fighter.

If you can't handle that fact then that's your problem.

7. Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher Lineal Champion Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Rocky and Sonny both had fantastic chins.
    Rocky was flashed a couple times but was never in danger of being stopped.
    Sonny took a hell of a shot, but I’m guessing if you’re assuming the Ali fight was on the level he had some dog in him for those 2 fights.
    I don’t count the KO loss to Martin as a black mark. That one feels comparable to like say Holyfield was stopped by Toney. They were old (shopworn)

Glass City Cobra and SeanK like this.
  8. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    When he was probably on the other side of 40. How someone can even pretend to be objective while referring to the match is astounding.

Do you want to tell which deficiencies Trevor Berbick revealed in Ali?

9. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    They have a cruiser weight division now. Look there

10. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Never saw that third pic nice

11. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Different Rocky, same story.

This content is protected

Pat M likes this.
  12. barberboy2

barberboy2 Member Full Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Charles was the number 1 contender shop worn or not.

13. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    In street terms they are around the same size, yeah. Both pretty big guys.
    In boxing terms, Liston has a distinct and definite size advantage.

KuRuPT likes this.
  14. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Nobody needs to pretend anything. Charles passes the eye test as a great fighter on film against Rocky.

Charles was a legitimate threat to the title when Marciano fought him. There was miles still left on the clock going into their fight. Ezzard was coming off excellent wins over Wallace and Satterfeild. You won’t find a highlight reel of Charles that don’t include stunning sequences from those most recent bouts before he fought Rocky.

If Ezzard was some faded has been how come he was still knocking out contenders and climbing the rankings?

where is Charles slipping? Without getting knocked out, Johnson and Walcott are the only film we have of Charles losing before facing Marciano. I don’t think Charles looks any worse in competitive fights being outpointed by Walcott and Johnson than he did outpointing maxim as champion. He looked better against Louis for sure but not necessarily against maxim.

This was a good era with a lot of good fighters. Walcott, Charles, Marciano, Moore, Johnson, Louis, Valdez, Baker, Satterfeild...

15. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Clearly Rocky is standing on stilts.
    He should be half Listons size.
    He was 5”11 for crying out loud.