Picture of Sonny Liston and Rocky Marciano

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by The Undefeated Lachbuster, Apr 14, 2019.

1. SolomonDeedes

SolomonDeedes Active Member Full Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Except that Williams wasn't on anything like that schedule. He'd fought twice that year - once in March, once in June.

But it wasn't, was it? Even if we take Viscusi's comments to the press at face value, his claim was that "if we get lucky" the Satterfield fight might lead to fights against better known contenders. He never suggested that it was by itself a route to a title shot.

Even Viscusi admitted that he wished Williams had time to prepare properly and described the move as a "gamble" which he'd taken as a favour to the promoter. This could not be further from a carefully planned career move.

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I don't favour anybody I just like all the facts to be presented.
    ps Satterfield was just about as muscular as a man can be under 190lbs and he hit like a train.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    It surprises me because usually you are all for 20-30lb heavier guys with knockout records smashing smaller guys to smithereens..

Very interesting.. hmm.

4. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Nope, I'm for quality over size in many cases,[I pick Dempsey to beat many bigger men ,] but when the ability is equal I go for the bigger guy,all things being equal.

5. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Omg someone got a black eye from a boxing fight? They must be terrible! Please educate us some more.

6. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007

I have not seen this photo. Rocky was a fighter's fighter, he fought with no fear. Intimidation was Liston's weapon, but it would not count here.

At 230LBS Rocky would be too slow. The aggressive crouch style requires conditioning. Best guess Liston out classes Rocky for 2-3 rounds with his jab and lands solid, but Rocky gets Liston's respect during the process. I thought Liston was taller, not by munch in this photo.

7. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Marty Marshall? Liston is impressive but he only fought one puncher ( Cleveland Williams ) , who busted him up one time in a short fight.

Liston's resolve and durability vs. a puncher is untested in the mid to late rounds. Rocky would test it. I favor Liston to win, however.

8. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Yes I did and when Leotis decided he wanted to take Sonny out he went inside Sonny's reach with a short right hand that froze Sonny then followed up with a 2 punch combo that had Sonny out cold for several minutes.....

choklab likes this.
  9. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    you don’t think normally, that a guy like Bob, given that Satterfield had won only one of his previous three fights, had been knocked flat on his back umpteen times, sometimes by men with just 11 fight records, he is at all at risk from a 29lb heavier 6’3” powerhouse with a 33-1 knockout record? That he really fits into your criteria here?

10. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    You neglected to mention, that Martin stayed on the outside the entire not boxing Liston hardy Marciano's style. Sonny was also not out cold for several minutes. It was approximately 50 seconds.

Using the Martin fight tells me all I need to know about you and your agenda against Liston but at least get the facts right. You're almost as bad as Choklab who claimed Liston was knocked out by a single punch. An out and out Lie.

11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I find it totally unsurprising that a 20year s old late replacement should be kod by an extremely hard hitting fighter who was ranked number nine in the world.Does that answer your question?

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    DeJohn and Valdes were punchers.

13. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Layne was 193 lbs and still soft in the belly. Louis was a 37 years old man fighting because he was deeply in debt.
    Ali fought 38men over 200lbs, and the following over 220lbs.
    Sabedong 225lbs
    Chuvalo 221lbs
    Lewis 223.5lbs
    Foreman 220lbs
    Wepner 225lbs
    Bugner230lbs
    Mathis 256lbs

Any 6 feet nine 250lbs heavyweights around in Ali's era?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  14. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    It's pretty incredible the weight people want to put on Sonny Liston's loss to Marty Marshall. Liston had had just seven fights, was up against a much more experienced spoiler and dropped a decision. People go on, and on, and on about it.

Yet you hear nothing about Billy Conn's loss to Eberle, Henry Armstrong's loss to Greenfield, Kid Tunero's loss to Rodriguez, Midget Wolgast's loss to White...because people know that those fights just don't mean that much.

Imagine someone going "oooo well I can't see Midget Wolgast beating Roman Gonzalez because, you know, White beat him that time" :lol: Just wouldn't happen.

Part of the heavyweight disease I guess.

Carry on, weirdos.

15. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think it was less about the fact that he lost (whilst developing) and moreso about the fact that he was knocked out? Showing that Liston had a hurtable chin

At least that's what I've gleaned from occasionally popping in to check on this monster