Pinklon Thomas Vs Gene Tunney??

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Aug 12, 2021.

1. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Not happening. Pinklon is black. No way the Marine climbs into a ring with Pinklon waiting inside for him.

2. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Tunney by UD,,much better boxer

RockyJim likes this.
  3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I imagine he would have steeled himself to it, if it was the only way he could get a title shot.

4. FrankinDallas

Jul 24, 2004
    Well then Pinkie starches him late. No Long Count to save his precious butt this time.

5. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    More realistically, what if he had got a shot at Spinks?

6. Tomatron

Tomatron Member Full Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Took an all time great to really trouble Tunney, every time anyone Thomas stepped up in opposition he got beat and primarily badly.

Tunney points, jabs, spoils and ties him up all night.

RockyJim likes this.
  7. FrankinDallas

Jul 24, 2004
    Leon? He could get outboxed, although he had a crazy style but Tunney could have figure him out.
    Michael on the other had was a fundamentally better boxer and I believe beats Tunney. Genie just can't run around on his
    bicycle like he did against dead legs Dempsey; The Spinks Jinx (and Pinklon) catch up to him eventually and drop
    him like Jack did.

That combo that Dempsey dropped on Tunney was beautiful. You actually need to slow it down to see all the punches he threw
    and how they landed on Genie's chin.

White Bomber likes this.
  8. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    I was thinking about this:

This content is protected

1. This content is protected
    2. Larry Holmes
    3. Tim Witherspoon
    4. Tony Tubbs
    5. Greg Page
    6. Gerrie Coetzee
    7. Trevor Berbick
    8. Carl Williams
    9. Mike Weaver
    10. Michael Dokes

choklab likes this.
  9. FrankinDallas

Jul 24, 2004
    Pinklon was my man back in the day. He had serious drug problems, which hurt his career. When we talk about "Thomas vs Tunney" I'm comparing a non-coke head Thomas in the ring and not the shell that fought Tyson, Holyfield, Morrison.He had some very good wins: Mike Weaver, Ratliff, Tillis, Witherspoon to name a few.

Fergy and janitor like this.
  10. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Thomas was an excellent fighter. Tyson says that in one of his books.
    If Thomas hadn't lost his way with the white stuff then he'd have beaten Berbick.
    Still loses to Tyson but maybe actually wins a round or two before being Ko d.
    And as much as I respect Gene, Pinky had the tools, attributes and chin to get him a decision.

11. FrankinDallas

Jul 24, 2004
    I agree with djanders, old and respected poster, who said above that Tunney was overrated. I agree. Greb, a much smaller man, beat him up
    without mercy in their first match, and did very well in other matches with him until Tunney got bigger and better and Greb lost an eye. Let's be honest here: Dempsey should have won by KO.
    He was fighting in a weak time for HW's....a good technician, very Mayeatheresque running abilities and hard to hit. But in any other age before his time and later, he would have been LWH champ maybe but not HW. Louis mauls him. Rocky obliterates him. Modern HW's (good one) would have no trouble finding him an KOing him.

Fergy likes this.
  12. Indefatigable

Indefatigable Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 6, 2021
    What is all this racist bull**** from you. There was never any proof of Gene being a racist. Actually the opposite. He treated everyone the same. I love you people who are the real racists trying to paint others with your brush and defiling a great man's good n a me.

louis54 likes this.
  13. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    No he was not, what are you talking about ?!
    Spinks was 6.1 feet tall, Tunney was 6 feet.
    Spinks weighed around 200 lbs for the first Holmes fight, 205 lbs for the second one and 212 lbs for the Tyson fight.
    Tunney was 190 lbs for the both Dempsey fights.

14. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Yea, sure, keep on dreaming.

15. FrankinDallas

Jul 24, 2004
    I didn't say he was racist. I didn't mention the word. I just specifically said he wouldn't fight a black man because he never did fight one in his entire career. That's a fact. If he never got in the ring with an African American, it stands to reason that he wouldn't fight Pinklon.
    Simple logic here.