POLL: Dillian Whyte vs Alexander Povetkin, who wins?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by truth_teller, Aug 10, 2020.

Dillian Whyte vs Alexander Povetkin, who wins?

Poll closed Aug 22, 2020.
  1. Whyte by KO

37.7%
  2. Whyte by unanimous decision

18.5%
  3. Povetkin by KO

28.5%
  4. Povetkin by unanimous decision

1.5%
  5. Whyte by split decision

10.0%
  6. Povetkin by split decision

3.1%
  7. Draw

0.8%
  1. RightLeftCombo

RightLeftCombo Active Member Full Member

Feb 21, 2019
    Povetkin's 40 and past his best. I expect Whyte to win.

2. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Whyte looked poor vs 40 year old Wach. However, Wach has a better chin than Vetkin.

pacas likes this.
  3. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Povetkin by stoppage

truth_teller and CST80 like this.
  4. Power_tek

Power_tek Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Completely agree with him putting to much into his left and leaving himself open he almost does a 360 sometimes, but the awkward disjointedness is a strength he is a rough house and that’s why he is a nightmare for anyone he will grip you up and try to graze a hole in your head with his eyebrow lol

5. piprules

piprules Active Member Full Member

May 11, 2019
    Whyte should be able to beat an old Povetkin, although now he is off the peds he didn’t look great last fight. I think if Povetkin was the same fighter he was 6 years ago he would win easy.

BCS8 likes this.
  6. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    My Gambling Head, I'm going with Whyte by decision, in a boring fight, yeah I'm sorry for my lack of enthusiasm.

But..

My Gut, I have this gut feeling Povetkin might just land something big early, Whyte is normally is a slow starter, Povetkin is a real danger early, so it's not out of the question in my opinion and Povetkin can really punch.

Do I go with my head or my gut?

truth_teller and BCS8 like this.
  7. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    No one in the HW division has a KO HL reel like Sasha Povetkin, not only brutal KOs but sublime combination punching too

This is what real ''Maximum violence'' looks like

This content is protected

Hunter jumps on Povetkin within seconds of the opening bell catching him clean and hurting him badly with huge flush right hands, but despite being 40 y/o and having been involved in more wars than an army Povetkin bites down on his gum shield and weathers the storm and then proceeds to claw his way back into the fight against the much younger and fresher Hunter

Then in the 11th Hunter hurts him badly again after catching him clean with a sequence of huge right hands, but once again even though he's way past his best, fatigued, in the twilight of his career and on 40 y/o tired legs Povetkin bites down on his shield and grits his teeth and remarkably not only survives the assault but he manages to take the final round IMO.

Povetkin's last four outings

The then #1 ranked three belt unified king AJ in England who has huge advantages in weight, height, reach and youth on him

Hughie Fury in England who is slick and awkward as hell and stylistically the kind of fighter who I wouldn't be looking to put a senior citizen in against if they were my charge

The streaking and avoided danger man Michael ''The Bounty'' Hunter over in Saudi who again is one of the last fighters in the division a senior citizen who has been in as many wars as Povetkin should be thinking about squaring off against what with Hunter possessing that CW Level speed, boxing ability, youth tenacity and power. Hell, the hungry young lions in the division who are in their primes want no part of The Bounty Hunter for goodness sake and I'm talking about top 5 guys too.

The huge punching Whyte in England who in addition to being much younger, fresher, heavier, and the longer man, like Povetkin, also possess one of the most savage left hooks in the game.

He was 39 y/o when he fought AJ
    A month shy of his 40th birthday when he fought Hughie
    40 when he fought The Bounty Hunter
    And he'll turn 41 two weeks after the Whyte fight

And he also fought Price in England in his previous fight to the AJ one too

''That man (Sasha Povetkin) is a real warrior''

-- Tyson ''The Gypsy King'' Fury

8. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    agreed,. Whyte lacks accuracy and fluidity in putting his punchers together... he has improved.. but still lacks a lot

however... he is a box fighter and is effective with certain combinations like doubling or trippling the jab or his body combinations or his three piece combo with uppercut

whyte has terrible footwork as well it annoys me that he misses so much big shots its like wasted energy

but yeah he has enough in his arsenal to get the job done against most top level boxers... that jab of his is a game changer.... he uses it so well to :

score points
    Disrupt opponent rhythm
    Damage
    Set up shots

It's Ovah likes this.
  9. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Yes, he's effective with certain combinations which it looks like he drills relentlessly in the gym, but take him off script and his style badly deteriorates. He's basically a street fighter at heart who's been taught to box and understands the benefits of doing so, but whose basic impulses constantly threaten to come to the fore when he's put under pressure or hurt. So long as he keeps that side of him in check (and to his credit he's a lot better at doing this than in the past) he's a pretty effective meat and potatoes boxer with a lot of grit and a huge left hand.

That should be enough to take care of this ring-worn version of Povetkin, but I actually hope he doesn't hurt Povetkin early or that dog is going to come out of him again and that gives Sasha a chance. Whyte's best chance of victory lies in breaking Povetkin down and letting the KO come naturally, not in forcing it on a guy who can make him pay for any sloppy mistakes he'll no doubt make gunning for the stoppage. His jab will definitely be key here, as will his superior size and mauling in close to stifle Pov's combinations.

His footwork is terrible true, but so long as he stays on the backfoot, keeps pumping the jab and tying up when Povetkin comes close I don't think that'll be such a huge factor here.

10. Veys9

Veys9 Let's go Champ! Full Member

Aug 30, 2018
    How do you guys think will the fight go on? Especially, do you think Whyte will do some dirty fighting, leaning on povetkin, pushing on the ropes, headbutt like against Parker? Because Povetkin will probably fight like he always does, but Whyte is less consistent in that one.

Against Parker we saw dirty fighting.
    Against Chisora we saw a patient Whyte.
    Against Rivas he went to full distance and played it safe.
    Against Wach he had some weird jab going on and was too heavy.

11. Southpawology

Southpawology Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Clearly Povetkin is getting raped on the cards after 12 rounds

let’s all be honest here

12. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    I personally agree with a lot of the votes here that it is Whyte by a controversial split decision here.

I think Povetkin possibly edges it on the cards, but gets robbed because Whyte is the "home" fighter destined for greater things and another title shot.

13. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Povetkin always seems to finish fights strong. He doesn't really fade.
    Whyte however seems to be the opposite.

Serge likes this.
  14. sjp17

sjp17 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 22, 2011

15. KernowWarrior

KernowWarrior Bob Fitzsimmons much bigger brother. Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    This is last chance saloon for Povetkin so he will as always give his all plus that little bit more.

Whyte has his boxing faults, however i see a fit and focused Whyte winning, and i hope he does so.

UnleashtheFURY likes this.