Poll: How good was Primo Carnera?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by reznick, May 24, 2017.

How good was he?

1. He was a fraud bum.

7.9%
  2. He was a fraud journeyman

16.9%
  3. He was a good fighter

65.2%
  4. He was an ATG

3.4%
  5. He was an elite great

6.7%
  1. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Perhaps the man that we should really be comparing Fury to is Jack Sharkey?

A man who had an ungodly talent, but was extremely mentally unstable.

The difference is, that Fury has the luxury of taking years out and becoming obese, while Sharkey had to maintain some sort of activity when he had a breakdown!

BitPlayerVesti and choklab like this.
  2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Loughran is an all time great light heavweight who possessed one of the finest left jabs ever.What he wasnt was any kind of a puncher,he never stopped a heavyweight of any quality,in fact he only stopped a couple who were ham and eggers.

Loughran fought the best available? Did he? Nearly 200 fights and not one black fighter among them! GTF!

I dont like Fury but the very idea that Loughran, a punchless light heavweight is stopping him is absurd.BTW no need for the silly personal insults, keep them for those who appreciate them ,I do not.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  3. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    doc emmet mcvey brown is not a silly insult, its a reference to the fact you've time travelled in your De Lorean to see the future Fury and know his complete resume, so that you can compare final Fury with final Loughran. A silly insult would be...butthead, for example.

I didnt actually know Loughran drew the colour line, so thanks for that.

I'd love to be called Doc Emmet Gee. 1.21 gigawatts!

4. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I'm comparing the Fury that I have seen with the Carnera that I have seen and, on that basis I pick Fury to win with confidence. You may call me Mcvey or M which is easier.Have you taken Herol Graham's name? I saw him fight a few times

5. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Primo couldn't beat Jack Sharkey if they fought 100 times. Maybe if Sharkey had a heart attack during the fight. It amazes me that people buy that result. Jack Sharkey could fight. Carnera was a bill of goods sold to the public. He had a selling point his size. It worked well enough and Owny Madden took it as far as he could. What we see against Baer and Louis that was Primo Carnera. It's a sad story from the bad old days.

mrkoolkevin and mcvey like this.
  6. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    This is the way Hollywood has it. You gonna trust Hollywood over boxing? Contemporary records, fight reports and film of Primo winning legit fights?

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  7. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    I have watched the knockout in slow motion, literally dozens of time, and there is simply no way that Sharkey took a dive.

Sharkey bounces off the ropes, and Carnera hits him with a sickening uppercut, while he is in mid bounce.

A bit of a fluke perhaps, but virtually impossible to stage.

In any event, if Sharkey had been planning to go into the tank, it is unlikely that he would have done it in the sixth round.

Primo did beat Sharkey, and it only took him two tries to do it.

8. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I've never seen a fighter ko'd by an uppercut react in that manner.
    We will never agree on this, peace.

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  9. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Was the outcome really that much of an upset?

The betting odds were fairly even before the fight, with some even favoring Carnera.

People obviously knew that Sharkey was on the slide before the figth!

Welterschmelter likes this.
  10. spinner

spinner Active Member banned Full Member

Jan 24, 2011
    [url]http://www.monstrula.de/filme/mightyjoeyoung/still13.jpg[/url]

Primo was so fearless, he took on a giant ape!

GOAT Primo Carnera likes this.
  11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Or the smart money went on Primo because those backing him knew the result before hand?

12. Welterschmelter

Welterschmelter New Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2019
    If Sharkey took a dive, he picked the stupidest way to do it. The way the uppercut connects, he's lucky his head didn't end up in someone's lap at ringside!

Overall, we've got a huge, naturally strong guy who was in so many fixed fights that eventually he learned to fight decently for real, who came in on his best day ever and took out a mercurial champion who didn't take the fight seriously enough in training. He then defended against a guy who was pretty well shot, and then one who didn't have enough power to overcome Carnera, before Primo fought a guy with a killer punch who still needed 11 rounds to finally finish him off. He then later lost to a top 5 ATG as his health began taking a downturn, leading to a kidney removal and the effective end of his career.

One great thing about YouTube is seeing the narratives that have been carved in stone come under scrutiny as fight footage is more easily accessible than ever before, to where now it's the *recent* fights that are hardest to find.

13. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    He was one of the weaker lineal Heavyweight champions. but all of them are still decent fighters. He was in the mix in an era I think was pretty good, but just lack an outstanding heavyweight, until Joe Louis came along.

14. Jason Thomas

Jason Thomas Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2019

Reading this idiocy, what stuck out to me is that a gorilla actually has 26 ribs, two more than a human. Tunney should have read his "encyclopedia" more carefully. He is confusing the total number of ribs with sets of ribs.

All in all, though, what a bunch of fatuous bull. I can't believe Tunney signed his name to this drivel.

Too bad Tunney didn't actually fight Gargantua. The first clinch would have been his last and Tunney wouldn't have had to worry about ribs as he wouldn't have had any intact ones left.

This is off the subject of Carnera, but this article is just so hilarious. Thanks for posting it.

NoNeck likes this.
  15. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    What department was he elite in?