Poll: Pernell Whitaker vs Manny Pacquiao?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by BetterThenYou, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Lance you need to learn how to read. He's suggesting that pac who's not known as a body puncher is going to find success against pea by going to his body when better body punchers than pac couldn't. It was an idiotic point to make when pac is a head hunter and not a body puncher he was reaching or just plain ignorant.

Lastly he's trying to bring up Pac's skills when he's far less skilled than pea another dumb argument. Pac beats people because he overwhelms them with speed power workrare and angles. The older pac we see now is more skillful countering trying to set traps but a prime pac didn't rely on that he relied on athletic attributes only no plan b all gas no brakes. Bringing up pacs skills in this fight is like bringing up peas power in a match up with pac it's basically irrelevant.

2. BoxingIntegrity119715

BoxingIntegrity119715 Super Full Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Dude i am not making excuses. I am just showing you the reality.

3. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I think Pacquiao had a different set of skills, and has a styles advantage in this fantasy the match up. I don't think Whitaker's power would bother Manny. I think Manny hits way harder, throws more punches , had a better hook to the head or body, takes a better punch , and is stronger. I also think he beat better competition. Who are Whitaker best wins? They don't compare to Pacquiao.

I'm not discounting Whitaker at all. I think he beat JC Chavez by 2 rounds, but next to Pacquiao JC Chavez is heinz ketchup slow. Pacquiao hands and feet are far more dynamic than JC Chavez. If Whitaker just had enough to beat Chavez, he's in for it vs . Pacquiao

Whitaker had a quick a score points type of jab, but not much behind it, or a counter punch to fear. He had great defense and was hard to catch cleanly, but is not powerhouse in a clinch. He's not Jeff Ward who is hard to hit, but unlike Whitaker who can punch hard, and is strong. He's not Mayweather either with a feared counter. He is a flashy stand in front of you type that makes you miss, and had enough ability to look really good doing it, partly because of who he faced. vs a skilled swarmer who throws a lot of hard puncher's, a man who's also has pound for pound style, that type of style combined with lack of physicality is going to lose.

That's why I'm picking Pacquiao. If Whitaker was as good as you think the JC Chavez fight ( probably the best swarming attacker type he fought ) would not be close.

BoxingIntegrity119715 likes this.
  4. BoxingIntegrity119715

BoxingIntegrity119715 Super Full Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Your a joke. Your underrating Pac's win against Marquez. Do you how many time times Pac floored Marquez? I think you have no idea?
    Didn't Whittaker looked average against bigger Trinidad? Didn't you know how Pacquiao totally outclassed and demolished bigger fighters with the likes of Hatton, Dela hoya, Cotto, Mosley to name a few. Smaller Pacquiao have the right skills to outclass these fighters.

You believe that Floyd has greater boxing skills than Pac... but look at their common opponents Pac showed his greater boxing skills to beat them convincly than Floyd. I think I dont have tell you each one of them. Pac made Dela Hoya quit while Floyd went 12 and it was closed. The fight could have gone either way. Pac knocked Cotto out while Floyd went 12 and there were many closed rounds. Floyd levels of skills to defeat convincinly based on thier common opponent was actually below Pac's... despite the fact that Pac is not a natural welterweight.

Now, do you believe that Whittaker have the skills to stop Cotto or Dela la Hoya just like Pac stopped them. We know that Whittaker went 12 against de la hoya and lost. I know that fight was closed and either could have won but it is another story...

Mendoza likes this.
  5. Pimp C

Jun 23, 2005
    Jesus christ! Pea whitaker was on crack when he lost to tito he was done you're a boxrecord ranger who never even saw the fight and never saw pea fight period. He was arguably undefeated up to that point. He's light years more skilled than anyone pac fought and that includes a faded 38 year old pbf. Educate yourself before looking like an uninformed idiot. Pea whitaker was a master.

Pac fought a zombie pbf fought a much better version of oscar at a higher weight stop.

Pbf didn't need 4 fights with jmm in order to beat him clearly he shut him out in the first try.

Pea whitaker wasn't a ko puncher dummy he was a master boxer youre too stupid to realize that a 12 round clinic can be just as impressive or more so than a 5th round ko. You sound like a casual you probably thought pac was going to ko pbf as well?? What happened when they fought pbf like pea was a master he neutralized his opponents offense and took guys apart making them fight his fight making them look average. Give me a master boxer over a guy like pac anyday of the week you will have more wins. Pea whitaker would embarrass pac if they ever fought prime for prime better more complete boxer.

6. scandcb

scandcb Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2020
    Whitaker was just as good as you make out. Pac is/was much much better than you make out.

7. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    No one with any credibility believes Pacquiao at his best beat Pernell Whitaker at his best. It’s not even debatable. Pernell ‘s skills and fundamentals are way to much. If you thought a 38 year old Floyd and Marquez gave Pacquiao fits then he facing Sweet Pea would be an exercise in futility.

northpaw and Pimp C like this.
  8. Pimp C

Jun 23, 2005
    Jcc is better than anyone pac ever beat and he schooled him 9-3 and got robbed. Pac doesn't have the styles advantage it has been shown time and time again that pac struggles with boxers with high ring iqs jmm erik Morales pbf just to name a few. That's because they figure out his one dimensional style and he has no plan b.

Pac is very beatable quit acting like there's no blueprint because we've all seen it. With that said there was no blueprint for a prime pea whitaker. He made good and great fighters look average. You keep talking about power but how much power did he need to keep jcc off of him while schooling him in the process? Power is overrated skills aren't remember that. It can be neutralized or a guy can simply take it. Pea whitaker had an atg jab he will dictate the tempo of the fight with it against pac there's nothing to suggest that he wouldn't. If pac cant figure out how not to get hit by jmm right hand in 4 fights he woukd have no answer for his jab. Pea also had a high workrate so you're not out working him either. Pac is great against guys who can't deal with his attack and get overwhelmed if you can the fight slows down and pac can be outboxed. I just don't think pac will have success landing much of note on one of the best defensive fighters in history.

9. Pimp C

Jun 23, 2005
    Pac is better than good he's great but he's more beatable than pea whitaker who was really undefeated in his prime.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  10. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    BoxingIntegrity

Your a joke. Your underrating Pac's win against Marquez. Do you how many time times Pac floored Marquez? I think you have no idea?
    Didn't Whittaker looked average against bigger Trinidad? Didn't you know how Pacquiao totally outclassed and demolished bigger fighters with the likes of Hatton, Dela hoya, Cotto, Mosley to name a few. Smaller Pacquiao have the right skills to outclass these fighters.

You believe that Floyd has greater boxing skills than Pac... but look at their common opponents Pac showed his greater boxing skills to beat them convincly than Floyd. I think I dont have tell you each one of them. Pac made Dela Hoya quit while Floyd went 12 and it was closed. The fight could have gone either way. Pac knocked Cotto out while Floyd went 12 and there were many closed rounds. Floyd levels of skills to defeat convincinly based on thier common opponent was actually below Pac's... despite the fact that Pac is not a natural welterweight.

Now, do you believe that Whittaker have the skills to stop Cotto or Dela la Hoya just like Pac stopped them. We know that Whittaker went 12 against de la hoya and lost. I know that fight was closed and either could have won but it is another story...[/QUOTE]

This content is protected

BoxingIntegrity119715 likes this.
  11. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Pimp C : Jcc is better than anyone pac ever beat
    This content is protected

12. Pimp C

Jun 23, 2005
    Jcc is better than anyone pac beat that can't be argued. Who was greater than jcc that pac beat? Jmm no erik Morales no mab no cotto no who???? Jcc is atleast a top 30 atg at absolute worst none of those guys are top 30 atgs:deal: Stylistically jcc is a harder fight for pea than pac is. Jcc could cut off the ring apply educated pressure and commit to the body pac can't do that.

13. 22JM

22JM Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Whitaker schools Pacquiao wrost than Mayweather did.

Pimp C and George Crowcroft like this.
  14. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    You're* a joke.
    You're* underrating Pac's win against Marquez.
    Do you know how many rounds Marquez out-boxed Pacquiao in? I think you have no idea.
    Whitaker was near shot, inactive, coked up and well above his best weight for Tito. And he still produced highlight reel defensive manoeuvres.

Pacquiao fought De La Hoya's drained corpse. Pea fought a prime Oscar and should have won. Pac also fought old or washed (or both) versions of Mosley and Hatton. Beating them is nothing Whitaker couldn't do.
    Do you seriously think Pacquiao is more skilled than Floyd? :loel:

Pac's workrate and power made him win easier vs Cotto. De La Hoya was much much better vs Floyd than Pacquiao, since he wasn't drained and was younger. Plus, that fight was a clear cut win. There's no 'could've gone either way' about it.
    Erm... did you forget the English language or something here? Floyd clearly showed higher skills vs common opponents. Pacquiao clearly showed better athleticism and power.

Since you're comparing common opponents and skills shown vs them, how about the shut out Floyd pitched whilst coming out of retirement vs Marquez? Pacquiao couldn't beat him convincingly to save his life, and was left looking like a body by him...
    Neither is Floyd.... or Whitaker.
    Whitaker beat De La Hoya. Whitaker would've schooled Cotto too. Do you think Pacquiao goes 12 with Tito? (He doesn't)

22JM and Pimp C like this.
  15. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Whittaker has to be the pick here