POLL: Who would you favor against Foreman?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mrkoolkevin, May 15, 2019.

Who would you favor against Foreman?

1. Dempsey

2. Marciano

3. Liston

4. Ali

5. Holmes

6. Tyson

7. Lewis

8. Wlad K.

9. Vitali K.

10. NONE OF THE ABOVE

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    George admits to everything these days. He's too humble to the point of being disingenuious.

2. escudo

May 13, 2014
    Ali 100% did not back up Foreman. Knocked out a tired version but never backed him up for more than the 10 seconds it took for Big George to fall.

Glass City Cobra and JohnThomas1 like this.
  3. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Watch the fight again my friend.

4. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Baer was nowhere near Foreman`s level, Frazier would have destroyed him.

5. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Foreman was far better than Mercer and Shavers and no way could the old out of shape Holmes that beat Mercer stand any chance against a prime Foreman.

Glass City Cobra likes this.
  6. escudo

May 13, 2014
    I've probably watched it 15 times or so and wrote a ****ing article about it. https://imgur.com/gallery/JkLfn

You are wrong. Empirically, factually wrong.

7. escudo

May 13, 2014
    Baer had the power, but not the uppercut to deal with Frazier.

8. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Agreed. At best i would have them evens. I like Foreman to get him in the first handful or rounds nowadays. Shavers was pretty gassed when he dropped Holmes and there was only 30 seconds left in the round. Shavers efforts in that 30 seconds were pretty wild. Foreman from Zaire would corner Holmes and make him fight. Ali was shocked at how well he cut the ring. This is the key. Holmes would not survive on the ropes like Ali. Shavers was more of a plodder who followed rather than cut off.

So i favor Liston, Ali obviously and maybeeeeee Lewis. I voted Lewis but i see them so close to even it's not funny. Foreman could be hit by right hands and Lewis has the size, power and sheer explosiveness to give him a chance of potentially stopping Foreman in the early rounds. Foreman had a great chin and guys like Frazier, Ali and Holmes don't hit hard enough to stop his forward momentum to any real degree.

I think Joe Louis would have a reasonable chance too in what would be a fire fight. He'd need to land some explode counters but he could certainly do that.

KuRuPT, Glass City Cobra and mark ant like this.
  9. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Great article. Watch the fight again. Foreman backs up twice, staggered. I just watched the fight again yesterday.

If you persist in being steadfastly wrong, the main point could be attenuated to the fact that Young and Ali hurt Foreman and both knocked him down. Neither of those fighters hit harder than Holmes. Thus, Holmes would have hurt Foreman and knocked him down.

I can't think of a more logical, rational statement. If you're not going to watch the fights and see how they backed him up then at least admit that. Holmes hit easily as hard as either of those men.

I have to admit, this has been hilarious. I won't give you the specific times (keep in mind, it was twice) Ali backed Foreman up, because you people claim to know that fight so well. You don't and the fight is waiting for you to watch it again. Even the ring announcers were stunned.

I know I'm right (I just checked the video again) so that's my final say on the subject. A person whom knows he's right finds erroneous arguments a waste of time.

Just take the time to watch the fight, it's that easy.

10. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Holmes was a lot easier to hit than Ali was and Ali`s defensse during the rumble was amazing.

11. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Lyle was better than Shavers and had devastating power and was better at counter punching.

12. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Witherspoon couldn`t have beaten Foreman. Thomas was too easy to hit.

13. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Foreman was far better in the 70`s than in `91 Bowe was easier to hit than Foreman was, Bowe couldn`t even cut the ring off on a limited Herbie Hide, Ali said he was shocked at how well Foreman cut the ring off on him, Foreman was better than Bowe and would have beaten every fighter that Riddick beat.

14. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    This content is protected

15. escudo

May 13, 2014
    There is a difference between getting wobbled by punches and getting backed up. Foreman controlled the ring a massively disproportionate amount of the time. Sugar Ray wobbled Hagler a couple times in their fight. Hardly "Backed him up" anymore than Ali did. I think we just have very different definition of what getting backed up is.