Povetkin

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Heisenberg, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    You’ve got to respect this guy. He’s fighting Dillian Whyte at 40 years old. The former WBA champion has the most underrated if not, overall best CV at heavyweight. Wins over H Fury, Price, Hammer, Rudenko, Dahaupus, Wach, Takam, Wawrzyk, Charr, Rahman, Huck, Chagaev, Byrd, Donald and I also gave him the nod over Hunter in their draw last time out. With only 2 defeats at the elite level to Klitschko and Joshua, he’s a real fighting man. War Sasha!!!!

tdf1974, hammertime, DJN16 and 7 others like this.
  2. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    When it really mattered in Russia, Wlad splattered him all over Moscow and he has been a shell since.

Was well past his sell by date by the time of the Tony Dosh PPV contest and it is hard to give a serial drugs cheat respect.

That is all I see in the ring when he fights mate.

Glenn McKrory and zulander like this.
  3. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    He's had a good career but is well past his best.

No doubt people will have you believe that Whyte is stepping in with a stone cold killer in his peak.

4. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Tony Hayers to mention Khan v Salita in 5.....4.....

Inglis_1, Wizbit1013 and Jurgen like this.
  5. Potwash

Potwash The Real Untouchables Full Member

Dec 13, 2017
    I'm not a fan of Povetkin but I definitely give him respect for still fighting anyone. He always turns up and gives it a go. Will be interesting to see how he looks against Whyte.

wassupjg and Scissors like this.
  6. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    It’s a good fight!!!

yes Povetkin is past it but whyte is extremely hitable and if he comes in like he did against wach then things could get very very interesting

Scissors likes this.
  7. Southpawology

Southpawology Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 16, 2013
    In his hay day, Pov would have boxed rings around the crude slugger Whyte

Now, I still give him a chance

DJN16, tdf1974, Accurate and 2 others like this.
  8. Bridie mcmahon

Bridie mcmahon Active Member banned Full Member

Sep 10, 2015
    He's fought everyone for sure but he's in full gatekeeper mode nowadays and making wonga is top priority for him now.

hammertime and Twentyman like this.
  9. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Povetkin has been decent but never was elite. I’d put him at about the same sort of level as David Haye in his prime (heavyweight only) though he does have more depth to his resume. Amazed he’s managed to drag his career on and hang in there. At this stage though I think him versus Chisora would be a tough call, which gives an idea of his level...

I’d fancy an in shape Whyte to beat him.

Twentyman likes this.
  10. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I would like him to retire, but I enjoy watching him box. In boxing ability he's head and shoulders above most of this generation of heavyweights.

11. themaster999

themaster999 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2015
    ROLL UP, ROID UP.

Super brave Dillian taking on the best of the best of the best again.

Warrior, hero of men, drugs free (apart from that one time he was tricked and that other time he wasn't guilty (honest)), not ducking anyone (apart from Joshua when he deserved 100 squillion quid coz he knocked Chisora out and Ortiz coz he wasn't erm you know) , Have I also mentioned that Wilders ducking him too ?

Pudding (copyright Jurgen) fest courtesy of Sir Eddie Hearn only £24.95.

Aydamn, DJN16, impacted and 4 others like this.
  12. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Povetkin will cause him problems initially, depending on the physical shape Whyte comes in at. If Whyte is back around the 246ib mark, he will starch Povetkin in 6 rounds. If he rolls in like he did against Rivas (259), it will go 12 rounds although there’s no way the B side gets the decision on the cards.

Povetkin was quality in his day, really intelligent feet and movement, with enough power to hurt anyone. However, as pointed out by my esteemed peers above, he is a gatekeeper now albeit an impressive name on the CV.

13. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Well past his best for sure but still good enough to be ultra competitive against todays youngsters. And certainly no shame in losing to an ATG in Klitschko, not everyone can be elite level. Drug cheat yes but there’s more than enough (that we know about) on his own resume. Next up Whyte..

Scissors likes this.
  14. Max Thunder

Max Thunder Proud member of the Cult of Vikings Full Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Povetkin is 40 years old, has a six-round gas tank and his only KO from last 4 years is against David Price. Whyte is prime, hungry, hard-hitting top contender with a massive home advantage to boot. Yet you are only so good as your last fight and the image of 280lbs Dillian with his life and death war with Mariusz Freaking Wach is vividly on my mind. Eating shots left and right, getting hurt multiple times, a truly sorry attempt at shoulder roll which did him more harm than good, against a guy who was steamrolled by Miller, Bakole and Povetkin himself. There is only so much as coming in better physical shape can do when you look like absolute shyt against a certified punching bag so I'm going with Povetkin by brutal KO in four rounds.

Pompey Junglist and Jurgen like this.
  15. Bridie mcmahon

Bridie mcmahon Active Member banned Full Member

Sep 10, 2015
    i can see this being competitive but ultimately a bit of a dull 12 rounder tbh...nae floating my boat twenty.

Jurgen likes this.