PPV Numbers From Saturday

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by UK2004, Mar 7, 2017.

1. carlingeight

carlingeight Active Member Full Member

May 15, 2016
    Agreed Clev vs Bellew 2 was shameful. Having so many popular fighters on the undercard (a lot of mismatches, granted) meant that British boxing fans were really missing out if they didn't stump up their cash.

Hearn summed it up before AJ vs Molina when he said that if it was AJ vs Wlad the undercard would be weaker, but against Molina then the undercard would be 'stacked'. The only logical conclusion is that the main event is in no way PPV worthy, so they have to try and manufacture a card to justify it.

If the demand for a fight is there I can't really have a problem with it. Froch vs Groves 2, fine. Bellew vs Haye, fine (even if it was a farce from the beginning). Wlad vs AJ, fine. PPV has got to be driven by the main event, it's as simple as that (dat).

2. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    The prospect of Haye walking through an fat CW in a few rounds attracted more PPV views than anything "superstar" AJ has ever done.....

Shows how popular AJ really is compared to other fighters, who possess a personality and some marketing skills.

We really need a Fury comeback

3. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    I think Joshua vs Fury would set the PPV record for the UK. What was Hatton vs PBF 1.2million? I think it beats that.

4. bladesman

bladesman Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2015
    Considering the timezone that ppv buyrate for the hatton fight not being beat since is pretty incredible.

thornpipe and BoxingABC1 like this.
  5. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Two split arses fighting 2 minute rounds like they do in white collar, Sam Eggington beating up one of the sky commentators and an out of breath fat scouser vs a bloke hopping about on one leg. And all for the bargain price £17:lol:

Eddie Hearn could put out a live broadcast of AJ sat on the bog and people would buy it.

thornpipe and Jurgen like this.
  6. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    When you're talking to a lady in 'real life', do you ever hear the sound of her vagina just slamming shut?

Mc2 and lawslaw like this.
  7. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Post of the thread mate - glad someone else can see through this nonsense for £17 on top of a Sky Sports Subscription.

Just cannot see any justification at all for conning the unsuspecting public time after time.

The sad thing is that it looks like they never learn.

im sparticus likes this.
  8. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Fooking hell. The general opinion of PPV has changed drastically over the last year or so.

I agree with it for the biggest fights like AJ v Wlad but not AJ v no hoper AJ v no hoper AJ v no hoper. 90% of people said that Haye v Bellew was a mis match but still think it's right to get charged for it.... Wtf. Now you're saying they're right to charge you for what you and the bookies (who are rarely wrong) thought was a mis match.

Boxers deserve every penny and of course i'd rather pay their wages than actors or footballers but nobody is saying what actors and footballers earn is ok, it's disgraceful. The money they earn is wrong, as is charging people £17 when they already pay subscription for mis matches and bad undercards. People say they could get hurt. Yes, so in that case you'd rather pay for a 50:50 English title fight were they could both damage each other, not were the big name will win and take zero punishment.

I am not against PPV, but as I say should only be for the big fights. I'm a fan of Bellew and think Haye was/is a class fighter but without the hype and hate nobody would have wanted that fight. There was no title, not even same weight so why should they pay all of a sudden because the pair have an argument!?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  9. liger1992

liger1992 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Because its a simple matter of supply and demand.

People like to see AJ fight and will pay to do so. People were happy to pay for Haye v Bellew.

Its not really a question of whether its right or wrong as the consumer has the choice. If you believe its wrong don't pay and move on.

I get the feeling the anti PPV crowd are just desperate for these Matchroom PPV's to flop so they can congratulate each other.

Yes Haye V Bellew had no title and on paper looked a mismatch however let me ask you this.

Do you think people would rather pay watch Haye v Bellew 2 or Fury v Klitchko 2?

Fury v Klitchko 1 could be argued as a competitive fight and was rightfully on PPV. That fight turned out to be an absolute shocker and nobody wanted to see a rematch.

The masses that buy PPV just want to be entertained. More often than not AJ will deliver what they are looking for so they will buy the next one.

im sparticus and On_The_Ropes like this.
  10. james4210

james4210 Active Member Full Member

Jan 12, 2009
    I'm returning to boxing after getting sucked into MMA in one of the nice things about boxing, is that careers last longer so you can get more bonded with a fighter and the damage isn't quite so brutal. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with brutality but you see your heroes in MMA get chopped down there is no sentimentality. Take BJ Penn's comeback it was like watching someone being mauled by a grizzly bear for a couple of rounds, proper brain damage.

Anyway point is, both the fighters in this pay-per-view and very likeable personalities depending on your view it was a great entertainment event with fighters that you knew. Imagine if this was to anonymous Mexican boxers going at it, I would still enjoy the skill. But the fight last Saturday was fantastic entertainment, a real event, had loads of discussions and fun. Highly worth it. I'm very glad to be getting back into boxing.

11. bladesman

May 31, 2015
    Skys other ppv's are wrestling. And that is EVERY month now it seems. Fair to say Eddie and matchroom not as bad as that!!

12. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    But how are mis matches entertaining. I think there's something strange if someone knows something is a mis match and will still pay. Turns out Haye v Bellew was a good match but they thought it'd be the opposite and still bought it. Obviously this is why Eddie knows he can charge for all the other one sided fights. I thought Bellew had a chance in the fight and let's suppose I was happy to pay the £17. Can you tell me wtf was that undercard. Come on mate, surely you have to get more than that for your money. Other than Paullie v Eggington not one fight were you genuinely didn't know what the result would be before hand.

Like I said I'm not anti PPV but I'm struggling to understand why people are accepting it so readily now. People have majorly changed their tune very fast.

Fury v Wlad was boring but tell me what fight of the Ukrainian's isn't. It was still a fight where a world champion of years and years had a good chance of being dethroned in a fight were people would agree the only chance we'll see that is if they get paid handsomely so it'll be PPV. Not someone who hasn't fought in 5 years vs someone stepping up first time for the money.

13. On_The_Ropes

On_The_Ropes Active Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Has it ever occured to you that what you find value for money may be completely different to someone else? Most people who bought the PPV on saturday thought they got a decent show for what is essentially the price of a Pizza and 6 pack of beers.

If your too tight to part with your money then fine, but stop with this BS of trying to tell others what they should or shouldn't do with their own money.

lawslaw likes this.
  14. lawslaw

lawslaw Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    I think it should be put in context of what does £17 mean to you on a Saturday night?

bladesman likes this.
  15. bladesman

May 31, 2015
    Would cost me that just to get the taxi there and back to the nearest pub showing the fights!

lawslaw likes this.