Prediction - Wilder vs Fury

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Rumsfeld, Oct 5, 2018.

1. TheOldTimer

TheOldTimer Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Fury is the best heavyweight in the world and hasn't even been in a competitive fight worth mentioning, he dominates all his opponents and wins most the rounds he fights. Wilder is so much more vulnerable and beatable not to mention he needs a knockout to win, he isn't going to outbox Fury, needing a knockout to win isn't a good position for any fighter to be in. Fury can win in ten different ways Wilder only one way.

Saad54 likes this.
  2. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    I enjoy Fury as a very charismatic personality but really don't get the hype about him as any sort of master boxer .. the Kitschko was the lowest punch output , most boring fight for the title since Braddock upset Baer .. he is fat and slow and I see Wilder catching him at some point and taking his head off.

3. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
  4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm leaning slightly toward Wilder mainly because of Fury's inactivity. There's a huge chance he's underdone. Wilder should be sharper and more on song. It will be fascinating to see how Fury takes his power. It's an exciting matchup as there are so many questions and many will be answered.

5. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I'm persuaded by the posters in this thread who think that Irish-Traveler-Buster-Mathis's layoff will cause him serious problems. Wilder is quicker than an old Klitschko was, less mechanical, far more aggressive, and carries his power late. I think that'll be enough.

EDIT: Either way this goes, I think the result will make a lot of sense in retrospect. It won't be like Lacy/Calzaghe -- we already know exactly what the issues are. We also know what the major unknown is: how much Fury has left after his layoff.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    PhillyPhan69 and GordonGarner65 like this.
  6. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    This is going to be the battle of the throwbacks!

Wilder is like a hybrid between Max Baer and Fred Fulton, and not in a good way.

Fury is a guy who fights and trains the old school way.

The winner of this contest goes up against Joshua, who is the outstanding modern heavyweight!

GordonGarner65 likes this.
  7. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Just goes to show how people see things completely different. IMO, there is nothing throwback about this fight. Wilder and Fury, along with Jarell Miller are about as "new school" as it gets. Athletic giants who are nothing like the lumbering tall or big fighters who came before them.

Wilder is quick, strong, has great athletic ability and great stamina. Fury comes from a family of boxers like FMJ and Chris Byrd, the big difference is that he grew to be 6-9. He has the skills of a small fighter in a giant body.
    Miller is over 300 pounds and is aggressive, well schooled, and has the stamina to fight at a hard pace for the whole fight. All three of them are something different that hasn't been seen before in boxing, it's going to be interesting to see how their careers play out.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    GALVATRON and Clean & Crisp like this.
  8. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Fury has gotten a lot of mileage out of beating a semi shot old WK............what is his other win, heavy bag Chisora ?

For the first time Fury is meeting not a old gun shy Champ or a C level journeyman, he is facing a prime undefeated Champ with a endless gastank and devastating power who will let his hands go and not just feint for 12......

cross_trainer likes this.
  9. ticar

ticar Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Dec 7, 2008
    You actually question Fury's record when Wilder is the GOAT as far as bum of the month type of opponents lol

10. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    The flaws of the two fighters and the unknowns make this a very interesting fight. The press conference will be a reality TV show, which is good or bad depending on your tastes. Good for boxing over all, I think as it helps attract the attention of the sports world.

I have to wait until the weight in for an official pick. If Fury is at a good weight ( under 250 pounds ) for him, I think he will win easy on points.

Wilder has power, but the only reason he beat Ortiz was Ortiz's age. He has had his hands full with mediocre non top ten level talent. Fury might talk like a fool, but in the ring, he's really a safety first type, who has a gargantuan height and reach, very good foot speed for a guy his size, and sneaky athletic ability.

My pick, assuming Fury is 250 pounds or under is Fury UD. I would not discount a Fury TKO/KO, or Wilder TKO/KO. Wilder via decision seems like the least likely outcome.

Whomever wins will likely get too much credit, but the loser will be taken down two pegs, and since I like neither guy any outcome outside of a draw is fine by me. The winner must fight Joshua next, as it’s the only defining fight on the horizon for this very sub par group of heavyweights until the up and coming talent which is very good matures.

Bukkake likes this.
  11. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    I am not so much comparing these men to the giants of the past, as the fighters of the past across all weight classes.

In terms of their training methods, and their technique, these guys are both decidedly old school.

Joshua is currently carrying the flag for the modern heavyweights.

12. salty trunks

salty trunks Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Wilder will beat the **** out Fury and stop him before the 6th round.

13. GordonGarner65

GordonGarner65 Active Member Full Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Fan of both. I think Fury has taken this without enough prep time back in the ring. Reminds me of Ali pre FOTC.
    Part of me thinks Wilder will catch him and stop him .
    Part of me thinks Fury will frustrate his way to a points win which won't be a good watch.
    Fury is such a conundrum and his time out of the ring can only work against him.
    2 unbeaten guys though presents a great match up.
    It's one of those when it's over , it's gonna be easy to say ' oh I should've known that would happen' but this side of it , it's a hard call.
    If I had to call it, I would go for Wilder , he seems to find a way to win and Fury got so out of shape in that layoff.

mcvey, PhillyPhan69, Bukkake and 2 others like this.
  14. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    This interview clarifies a lot:

This content is protected

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  15. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I am not a fan of either, but an appreciator of both.

Outside of that I see it similar and hard to commit to a definitive opinion. I have not been convinced that Wilder is great or that he can be the man. Fury’ Lay-off and taking this fight so soon troubles me the other way.

Forced to choose I lean towards Wilder stopping him late.