Pretty Boy Floyd Mayweather was a devastating combination puncher.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Olu G. Rotimi, Dec 12, 2021.

1. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Why ? is it because you have no answers or excuses left for your exposed heroes ?? Try supporting the REAL champions in boxing & not the cowardly cheatings divas lol

box33 likes this.
  2. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Consider reading what I posted again! I claimed they were 'ROUGHLY' on the same level, not that they were 100% on the same level.

Even if I were to agree that Hatton was better than Martinez, the gap was extremely miniscule. Yet, Lomachenko dispatched Martinez with significantly better combinations (a guy only slightly inferior to Hatton) than how Mayweather dispatched Ricky Hatton (a guy only slightly better than Martinez) with combinations.

The fact that Lomachenko dispatched someone who is only slightly inferior to Hatton significantly more impressively with combinations than Mayweather did to Hatton is evidence of Lomachenko being the better combination puncher. Nothing more, nothing else!

Or are you arguing Mayweather is a better combination puncher than Lomachenko?

3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft 'Snarky Little Gobshite' - IntentionalButt Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    At no point, was Rocky Martinez even half as good as Ricky Hatton. They were not roughly on the same level, Hatton was several level better.

Alo2006 likes this.
  4. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2017
    You should consider reading up the logical fallacy named 'RED HERRING':

This content is protected

Whether Rocky Martinez or Ricky Hatton was better is besides the point, and irrelevant.

The topic of this thread was Floyd Mayweather's combination punching quality. And someone mentioned his punching power, which I was referring to.

And my response was, he was not great at either of those attributes. There are many attributes Floyd Mayweather excelled in, and may have even been the greatest in, but combination punching and punching power were not those attributes.

Which brings me to my next point, that Floyd Mayweather was not a better combination-puncher and probably not a more powerful puncher either at similar weight-classes compared to Vasy Lomachenko.

Even if I grant you that Rocky Martinez was not on Ricky Hatton's level, Mayweather has faced plenty of bums in his career whom are inferior to Rocky Martinez and some on Rocky's his level. And I ask for evidence of him showing this punching power and combination-punching skills that many here are raving on about.

Did Mayweather have respectable combination-punching skills? Perhaps! But was it something that was noteworthy or special? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Should anybody recommend new boxers to learn combination-punching from Floyd Mayweather Jr? ABSOLUTELY NOT!