Prices problem is not chin or stamina

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Smithson, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Smithson

Smithson Active Member Full Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Look the guy has been a pro and amateur boxer at the highest level for a very long time. You are not telling me you can get to Olympic standard amateur boxer and competing as a professional fighter without being fit enough to go 12 rounds. The training team GB alone is insane.

I am sure when he's training for a 12 round fight he goes 12 rounds of hard sparring regular. I'm sure if he was blowing out of his backside after 6 rounds in the gym coldwell wouldn't be quite so willing to let him fight.

Prices problem is 100% mental. When the heavy shots start getting thrown at him the nervous energy gets to him, when he lands the big shots and the guy doesn't drop or look badly hurt that nervous energy sucks the life out of him again.

If he does decide to come back he needs to do 3 things.

1. Get a nutritionist on board and lose at least 2 stone. 19 stone 9 was ridiculous and coldwell should have never of let him get that heavy.

2. Start using a legit S&C coach. Instead of coldwell setting up circuits he needs to follow a professional tailored programme made for him. Even though I think it's more of a mental issue with he clearly does need more conditioning work. 3/4 months doing this without a fight lined up will help get his vo2 boosted as high as possible.

Finally

3. Get a sports physc on board. He needs to conquer the mental aspect more than anything. Wether it's all the knock downs he's received in the amateurs or the ko's but at some point in his career he massively started to doubt himself and I think when things get tough in that ring all those doubts hit him hard.

I still think he has a chance to maybe leave pro boxing with at least a Lonsdale belt but only if he addresses the issues Iv raised.

2. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sephiroth Rising 7 'No tears please!' banned Full Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Those are the same things I observed last night.

Definitely needs a sports psychologist to sort out his beliefs in the ring.

3. lawslaw

lawslaw Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    There is just far to much to work on for him to progress to even a European level now with any realistic expectation. He just hasn't got it, and he is too old to change what would need to be changed. If he was 24 or 25 he may have a glimmer of hope but he isn't.

4. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    You are correct in that this is a massive hill to get over but depending on how long and how well set in hes had the doubt and negative beliefs and perceptions will determine how hard it will be to overcome.
    This is a massive task tho

5. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    His chin and stamina are not the problem? What planet are you on!

Price's chin is GARBAGE, he was rocked and buzzed by any punch that Hammer landed that wasn't a jab, and Hammer is one of the most featherfisted heavyweights active today.

PIRA likes this.
  6. Makingweight

Makingweight Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 7, 2011
    His race is run.Think back to when he was interviewed on Ringside after his first loss to TT he looked and sounded mentally shot.He wanted the rematch with TT it was a bad call and Maloney should of vetoed it,rank bad management.

Price should call it a day now absolutely no point in going on no shame in stepping away.

7. lawslaw

lawslaw Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    The biggest problem of his now is he isn't even in the top 8 Heavyweights in the UK, and with some new blood starting to appear also, the future for him couldn't be bleaker.

8. Grooveongreg

Grooveongreg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2013
    I wouldn't bother mate most people are too dumb or have never boxed before so have no understanding of the psychological aspect and it's importance.

Smithson likes this.
  9. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    The psychological aspect is important.
    But at 33 years old it make more sense for Price to ask himself what he really wants in life and move on from boxing than to go to extraordinary lengths to change his pysche.

Deep down, most boxers aren't really cut out for it, not for long, and they don't have a champion's mentality or pure fighter mentality. There's no reason why us fans should sit here telling them they need to do go and get sorted out, since being a great fighter isn't exactly always the sign of a balanced life anyway.
    Price won an Olympic bronze medal, went 15-0 as a professional, held the British and Commonwealth title. Not bad.

Smithson likes this.
  10. GTFUP

GTFUP Active Member Full Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Simply needs to quit