Prime Buster Douglas v Prime Lennox Lewis

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by quarry, May 30, 2011.

1. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    It was a good career and one he should get credit for. But we have to be careful when giving this guy favorable odds against great champions. While the wins you listed were certainly admirable, they need to be looked at more closely.. Tex Cobb was no longer a contender when Douglas beat him and was never that good to begin with. Oliver McCall was a 13-2 nobody who was still a good five years away from having any real impact on the division and Douglas didn't look that good against him anyway.. Berbick was still tough and respectable but noticeably past it... And everybody and their brother was beating Greg Page between 1984-1987, including David bey, mark wills and an old joe Bugner.. The Tyson fight was a collosal victory that should be credited to him. But as I posted above, it had its own details worth examining. What Douglas needed to do to eliminate all questions concerning his abilities, was to follow up after that Tyson Win buy giving a good show against Holyfield along with winning some of his earlier fights against guys like Tucker and Ferguson. Had he shown himself to be more consistently good and against guys who "weren't" washed up or in poor form, he wouldn't be questioned as much today..

2. dawnofthedead

dawnofthedead Member Full Member

Nov 13, 2014
    :deal Not a Lewis fan but unless he was woefully overconfident ala' Rahman and McCall then this would have been a fairly plain sailing fight for him, Douglas was very inconsistent at best and had 1 night where he excelled whereas Lewis had many great nights and that's the difference, Lewis was consistently good for the best part of a decade and i think you would have to favour him over Douglas who simply had too many woeful showings.Lewis KO4 Buster......

3. hookfromhell

hookfromhell Well-Known Member Full Member

May 5, 2011
    I think Lewis is getting his ears boxed off here. If Buster is in great shape and focused he will outbox Lewis. However, when Lewis gets outclassed technically he resorts to his punching power and physical strength. So, there will be a moment when Douglass gets hurt. Can Douglass rebound and get the win? Douglass SD after some dicey moments.

4. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    If anyone could turn up like Tyson did vs Douglas, it would be Lewis.

What if Lewis turns up overconfident and Douglas shows up like he did in Tokyo?

Lewis will be in deep trouble.

5. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Douglas could certainly replicate the Rahman victory.

Rahman never needed to get out of second gear that night, he just jabbed and plodded forward until Lewis dropped his hands and then he banged him.

So yes an unmotivated Lewis probably gets knocked out, but then in the rematch a motivated Lewis destroys him.

6. dawnofthedead

dawnofthedead Member Full Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Better chin? I don't think so, Douglas had a woeful chin and ticker to boot. He was known for swallowing it and had been knocked out on numerous occasions. We all know why he beat Tyson and i'm not even going to bother explaining it. Buster had fast hands and a good jab but i think he would have struggled with Lewis' strength and power, despite out boxing the Brit in the early stages he runs into trouble after a couple of rounds and is stopped. Lewis KO 4 Douglas.

7. Combatesdeboxeo_

Combatesdeboxeo_ Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Lewis by one sided beating not even competitive.Please stop it tyson blind fans

8. Grapefruit

Grapefruit Active Member Full Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Typically speaking, lennox would dominate Douglass, but if buster came in like he did against Tyson then lennox is getting caught rocked and dropped before the 5th

rinsj and Saad54 like this.
  9. williams7383

williams7383 TKO 6 Klit Lickers Full Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Something similar to the Michael Grant fight for Lewis he will know what the best Douglas brings.. Jumps on him and irons him out early

10. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Lewis cokdcocks him in 3.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  11. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    lennox points but oh so close.

12. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    I think prime for prime Lewis was better.

However, the Buster Douglas that beat Tyson, although a one off type of performance, would beat Lennox Lewis. I never saw a fight where Lewis looked as good as Douglas did the night he fought Tyson.

Smokin Bert likes this.
  13. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Buster had a decent set of whiskers and ticker, at least in the Tyson fight..

He recovered from a powerful Tyson shot that knocked him down, to rise and win the fight.

Otherwise, he did show a weak ticker but not a "woefull chin."

For example, He gassed against Tucker. He took some good shots earlier in the fight, but basically quit when he got tired.

He basically quit more than anything when dropped by Holyfield - he wasn't completely out of it and on ***** street like Lennox was against McCall and Rahman.

14. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Douglas would have a good shot at winning this one

15. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010