Prime Evander Holyfield will always beat prime Tyson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by MarkusFlorez99, Mar 30, 2021.

1. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Interesting post, but I'm not sure his wins over Rahman and Moorer should be underrated like that. Holy is a 4 time champ, no one else ever did that. He kicked the crap out of a...what, barely 30, once defeated Tyson..twice. And he fought his heart out against the at the time best heavyweight in the world, Lennox.

2. slash

slash Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 15, 2012

3. slash

slash Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 15, 2012
    No

Holyfield always beat Tyson. Starting in the '84 Olympic tryouts.. lightheavyweight vs heavyweight. Holyfield doesn't give in to that bully. 3-0

4. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
  5. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Elaborate, please.

6. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Yes

The way Tyson was destroying the competition and the aura that surrounded him added to the legend of "prime Tyson".

Nobody is unbeatable, especially at heavyweight. I pick a prime Foreman over Tyson and even Liston. Ali would probably beat Tyson more times than he would lose. Tyson Fury and Vitali Klitschko would be tough matchups for Mike ... They have granite jaws and awkward styles along with a massive height and reach advantage.

LOL

7. TheWorstEver(TWE)

TheWorstEver(TWE) Active Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2018
    I can only assume this was an April Fool's joke.

swagdelfadeel, ironchamp and Entaowed like this.
  8. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Prime Tyson will beat Prime Holyfield but past prime Holyfield will beat past prime Tyson.

Sangria and FuryisGOAT like this.
  9. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    I don't even like Tyson but lol

10. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    And Holy hadn't slowed down?

11. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    I think the prime Tyson of 86 to 88 would have been too much for him .. the later versions were not the same fighter by a long shot ..

12. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    It's funny to see the contrast between the discussions about Ali-Frazier and Tyson-Holy prime for prime.

An old and shopworn Holy owns and stops Tyson after some early competitive rounds while peak Frazier have to go through prime ending punishment to eventually get a points win over Ali. But the result that would be reversed in a prime for prime situation is - drumroll - Holy-Tyson, not Ali-Frazier.

Because Tyson had lost speed and timing in prison. Ok. But what about Ali? Yes, he also lost speed and timing, but actually improved. Ok. Despite being an unconventional fighter whose defence relied mainly on speed and reflexes and who never developed one punch power? Yes, because... Well, because. That's all.

This might actually be the most bizarre, conveluted reasoning that frequently pops up on this forum.

JohnThomas1 and swagdelfadeel like this.
  13. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    IMO, Tyson didn't lose fights after prison because of who his trainer was or because he lost speed or timing (not sure he did). He was still physically capable, he just didn't want to box. He said it to interviewers, he didn't train, his mind wasn't into boxing. Ali, Holyfield, and others did better as they aged because they still enjoyed boxing and they craved the spotlight. Tyson did not. Physically Tyson was still quick, still powerful, he just didn't want to be there. When a boxer loses interest, there are no teammates to cover for him.

14. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    He looked well prepared for the rematches with Bruno and Holyfield. I think the big noticeable difference came after Holy 2.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  15. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 16, 2012
    You could train all day be in the best shape but if you are not mentally there then you won't win

Tyson said he didn't really want to box after 1990 or so .... I think he subconsciously achieved his goal after Spinks and that was it

I don't think he cared that much about Marciano's record .... Probably didn't feel like putting in the time and effort for that

Pat M likes this.