Prime Ezzard Charles vs ATG's

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Bummy Davis, Aug 22, 2007.

1. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Judging by this,
    I would doubt that.

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think it goes without saying that the hailmark of a great poster is picking Ezzard Charles to draw with Gene Tunney, but comfortably beat Mike Tyson.

3. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    :lol: :lol: This made me laugh out loud.

BlackCloud and George Crowcroft like this.
  4. Bah Lance

Bah Lance Active Member banned Full Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Who cares about fantasy fight picks? We are all undefeated there.

What Bummy brought was real first hand knowledge.

louis54 likes this.
  5. Bah Lance

Apr 29, 2019
    Who cares about fantasy picks?

6. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    I don't dispute that. Unfortunately, he was very biased as well, mainly towards fighters of the past (though he seemed to have an agenda against men like Liston and Holmes) as this post clearly shows. Not uncommon with men his age.

BlackCloud likes this.
  7. Bah Lance

Apr 29, 2019
    Anybody can have an opinion on who would when a fantasy fight. Not everybody had the knowledge and real first hand experience Bummy brought to the table. He was a credit to this forum and excellent source for hard info, rather you agree with his fantasy picks are not. Unlike the posters mocking him, he actually contributed something special here.

8. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    WTF did I just read....

swagdelfadeel and BlackCloud like this.
  9. BlackCloud

BlackCloud I detest the daily heavyweight threads Full Member

Nov 22, 2012
    I wouldn't call the opening post knowledgeable, I would call it deluded.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  10. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Even worse is posters defending this garbage. S.M.H

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Bukkake and BlackCloud like this.
  11. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    :lol: Weren't you the one giving me hell when I as much as suggested Cleveland Williams might have a chance against Marciano because of numerous physical advantages and superior boxing ability, but when Bummy outright favors Charles against men like Tyson, Foreman, etc (who you know as well as I do, would crush Charles), you gloss over it and say "well anyone can have an opinion on who'd win fantasy fights lolz". Not only is this a double standard of astronomical proportions, but extremely hypocritical as well.

Edit: Also, it's pretty ironic you call Bummy an "excellent source for hard info", considering you also falsely accused a very well respected historian on these boards of lying of a first hand account he had with a boxer just because it didn't suit your agenda

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    BlackCloud likes this.
  12. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Archie Moore on the night he fought Marciano, would beat, nay, knock out Ali, Louis, Liston, Foreman, Tyson, Frazier, Dempsey, Lewis, Holmes, etc (though if Ali's lucky he might last the distance)

Where's my excellent poster badge?

13. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Some might make 2 or 3 but it's a "might" Clint. He certainly doesn't love them smaller guys long time.

Clinton, swagdelfadeel and BlackCloud like this.
  14. Bah Lance

Apr 29, 2019
    No. I challenged your statement that Williams would be "numero uno" if not for Liston and Ali. I also pointed out that Williams was an active fighter in Rock's era with something like 34 pro fights before being stopped by Satterfield as I believed you were suggesting Williams would have ruled Rock's era. I understand that may not have been the case now and you made a good argument about Williams' peaking later in his career anyway.

Given that we absolutely never debated a Williams vs Marciano fantasy fight, I have committed no double standard. I would of course pick Marciano over Williams, but I wouldn't question your worth as a poster for picking Williams, suppose that depends on the context and reasoning. Fantasy fights are just for fun, nobody will ever be proved right or wrong...and this board seems to forget that.

I've known both hegrant and Bummy for well over a decade, as well as one can through message exchanges. Hegrant is a "well respected historian" in his own mind, Bummy was the real deal. If you disagree....okay...

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  15. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Fair enough. I guess you never actually did criticize me for giving Williams a chance against Marciano, so I apologize.

Regarding He Grant and Bummy, you say you've known them for a decade, but your profile says you joined not even 2 years ago...