Prime for Prime-Evander Holyfield vs Mike Tyson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by tommygun711, Apr 23, 2010.

1. WABCBoxer

WABCBoxer Member Full Member

May 7, 2013
    @ Fnatic - Whether you take what i said literally or figuratively about prime Tyson, it most certainly applies to Holyfield.

2. SP_Mauler

SP_Mauler Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 31, 2012
    No listen to what im saying. Riddick comment is non sense because Riddick is a top tier HW, He could fight anyone and be competitive.

Douglas beat Tyson
    Holyfield smashed Douglas

If you can stand up to Tyson then you're chances to beat him have increased dramatically.He doesn't have character he has today back then even in 88.

3. WABCBoxer

May 7, 2013
    I know styles can make a fight, i realize that. But when it comes to exceptional fighters, they can overcome some/many aspects of the style factor. A prime Tyson qualifies as one of those few exceptional fighters that can do this. Styles will make a difference, yes, but a prime Tyson finds a way to win against any version of Holyfield. Tyson beat Tucker back then, Tucker in the 80's was just as good as an early 90's Holyfield, maybe even better.

You last comment doesn't necessarily apply to a prime Tyson.

4. WABCBoxer

May 7, 2013
    ....further, how would a prime Holyfield beat a prime Tyson exactly anyway? There is no way he's gonna finesse prime Tyson for obvious reasons, bangin with Tyson is out of the question as well. Holyfield would get owned going toe to toe with prime Mike. Even Holyfield's exceptional counter-punching ability would be nullified by a prime Tyson. I just don't see how Holyfield beats prime time Mike.

5. SP_Mauler

Aug 31, 2012
    Tucker fought him with a broken hand

6. SP_Mauler

Aug 31, 2012
    Toe to toe he wouldn't get owned lol, Tyson kept his power in the 90s and still couldn't KO him plus Tyson wouldn't stand toe to toe he used his speed to kill people in the 80s his power was the benefactor.The fight is a hard one but I choose Holyfield

7. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    LOL, Tyson was a headhunter with single bombs after prison.....could not go hard 12 rounds ever in the 90's........abandoned bodywork.....did not move his head.....squared up..... no angles.....still fast hands and power but did not set anything up...no combination punching...and Holyfield still held and held and held and fouled and fouled and fouled that vastly diminished version of Tyson , could not keep him on the deck and got only brave when Mike was completely out of gas, see above, poor stamina after prison.

As far as Holyfields counterpunching, well, Tyson after prison discarded the jab to set up what was coming behind so it was not too difficult to time his single bombs.

The key if those two would have ever fought in their respective primes would have been Tyson bodypunching and IMO would have been the beginning of the end for Holyfield.

8. SP_Mauler

Aug 31, 2012
    Tyson had such amazing stamina in the 80s who did he show this against?
    Tyson will bodypunch Holyfield to defeat despite Holyfield having granite chin,mind and body

9. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    One thing that surprised me in Holy v Tyson was that Holyfield's hands seemed quicker than Tyson's. I was pretty surprised when I saw that.

10. frankenfrank

frankenfrank Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 18, 2009
    at least u got 2 type de last word

11. homebrand

homebrand Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 1, 2009
    wtf you talking 'bout? Tyson may have won his comeback fights, but it was obvious he wasn't the same.

12. WABCBoxer

May 7, 2013
    This. Good Post.

13. WABCBoxer

May 7, 2013
    Like i've been saying, Tucker is very under-rated. He was a good fighter, aside from Tyson (and possibly 85-87 Spinks) he was the best active HW in the 80's. But broken hand or not, prime Tyson was better.

14. heavy_hands

heavy_hands Guest

the speed of tyson is one of the most overrated things in the history of boxing, i donĀ“t know where hell became this crap about " tyson was almost how fast as ali", tyson never was that fast, his speed is overrated based on his videos when he was 15-17 and he weighed in the 190-200 range.
    the mythical prime tyson "86-88" another mythical crap, just like tokyoo douglas. MIKE TYSON NEVER WAS TESTED AGAINST A YOUNG GREAT FIGHTER DURING HIS PRIME, AND WHEN HE FACED ANY GREAT HW FIGHTER(NOT SHOT) HE LOST.. PERIOD. ANY OTHER THING IS BLABLABLA. ALI WAS NOT IN HIS PRIME IN THE 70S, AND STILL HE DID BEAT A PEAK FOREMAN, LEWIS WAS NOT IN HIS PRIME AND STILL HE DID BEAT A PEAK VITALI IN 2003, prime tyson, kevin rooney,cus damato.. blablabla. pure crap

15. tezel8764

tezel8764 Boxing Junkie banned

Mar 28, 2012
    Tyson's best performance post-prison was Holyfield II before the earbite, he was using head movement bobbing and weaving and got some good shots in the third round I think a couple of left hooks. But even then Holyfield still handled him.