Prime for Prime-Evander Holyfield vs Mike Tyson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by tommygun711, Apr 23, 2010.

1. energie

energie Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 8, 2012
    tyson who fought berbick would stop evender holyfield what a shame tyson didnt stay with his old team and decided to hang with hoodlums and became a headcase

2. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Tyson who fought Berbick would get stopped late by Holyfield, he was the better fighter.

3. frank

frank Active Member Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Evander Holyfield and steroids

I remember watching the Holyfield-Tyson fights of 1996 and 1997, and thinking how magnificent they looked. Both men entered the ring superbly muscled, each looking like testosterone personified. With Tyson, it was natural; he had been an abnormally thickly-muscled specimen from the time he was 13.

With Holyfield, in retrospect, it was not. He had been the Olympic bronze medalist in the light heavyweight (178 pound) division in 1984, at age 21. He then turned pro, campaigning first as a light heavyweight (175 pounds in the pro ranks), then as a cruiserweight (190 pounds). He won the cruiserweight title at age 24, in 1986. In 1988 he announced that he was moving up to heavyweight.

By the early 1990's Holyfield was a lean 215 pounds. People wondered how he had put on so much muscle so quickly. Holyfield attributed it to his revamped exercise and diet regimen under new trainer Mackie Shillstone.

Here's Holyfield after he had already put on 15 pounds to win the cruiserweight title:

And here here are two pictures of him as heavyweight champion:

You just don't put on that kind of muscle through sparring, hitting the bag, and roadwork. You don't even put it on through weight-lifting.

The dead giveaway with steroids is not just how much muscle you put on, but how it goes on. Steroids always seem to turn the t****zius muscles (which run from the shoulder to the neck) convex, and also give a weird emphasis to the definition between the pectoral muscles.

Here is what Wikipedia had to say about recent allegations that Holyfield had used steroids:

On February 28, 2007, Holyfield was anonymously linked to Applied Pharmacy Services, a pharmacy in Alabama that is currently under investigation for supplying athletes with illegal steroids and human growth hormone (HGH). He denies ever using performance enhancers.

Holyfield's name does not appear in the law enforcement documents reviewed. However, a patient by the name of "Evan Fields" caught investigators' attention. "Fields" shares the same birth date as Holyfield—October 19, 1962. The listed address for "Fields" was 794 Evander, Fairfield, Ga. 30213. Holyfield has a very similar address. When the phone number that, according to the documents, was associated with the "Fields" prescription, was dialed, Holyfield answered.

But we really didn't need all that to know. The only evidence we really needed was visual.

I point this out because Holyfield is such a perfect example of what steroids do to you: they make you magnificent, in a slightly misshapen way.

4. frank

frank Active Member Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
  5. Vanboxingfan

Vanboxingfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm pretty slow to accuse fighters of using PED but Holyfield definitely used PED's, of that, there's no doubt.

6. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I have no doubt that 99% elite athletes (not only boxers) use something to boost their results.

I know that's a fact and have many proofs.

But I won't accuse anyone and won't call them cheaters.

Lance Armstrong is NOT a cheater, because all elite athletes in his sport use PED's

Marion Jones is NOT a cheater, because all her elite opponents also used PED's.

Using PED's are as common in elite sports as drinking water.

7. energie

Dec 8, 2012
    im very interested in what your saying can you tell me more ?

8. Vanboxingfan

Vanboxingfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I never said Holyfield was a cheater, I said he used PED's. I pretty agree that if everyone uses them it's essentially a level playing field. I think in some sports, even if you don't use steroids, you might even be able to compete with those that do.

That said, Lance Armstrong is scum, the way he threw his accusers under the bus any chance he had and lied in court. He's in a class of his own, not for the use of steroids, but for the cover up. And bike riding is definitely a sport you can't compete in, if everyone is taking steroids but you.

9. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    1) Show me ANY proof that 99& of athtletes in any sport use something (I assume you mean illegal, using supplements is fine).
    i would bet anything that you cannot offer more than a vagie belief 7 citing tons of individual cases. That doe snot begin to establish even whether MOSt athletes in particular sports use, let alone 99%.

I can show endless examples of men who are over 6'. Could I use that as proof that MOST are so? Nope.

2) If you break the rules of the sport you are by DEFINITION a cheater. Also violating the law of the country.

3) if it was 1% of clean dudes then THEY are being cheated.
    But there is no reason whatesoever to know MOST use.
    In a sport like biking-where the direct advantage is immense & it is very hard to catch folks-yes. But it is still cheating & lying.

4) For extraordinary claims you need extraordinary evidence.
    Saying almost everyone is dirty is extreme & deeply cynical unless there is tremendous, very hard to refute evidence.
    There is nothing REMOTELY like that in boxing.

5) I agree with Frank...Except that the shape of the muscles I do not think adequate evidence, some have propensities for this naturally.
    The clincher IS the investigation & Holyfield clearly a PED client.
    That quote on wikipedia also mentions something else damning...

10. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Err yeah, a past it war torn version actually beat Tyson in a real fight twice....

11. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012

I think you will find that you can actually put on lots of muscle through weight training and diet, or the good old Evan Fields story. It's probably a little rumour set off by a Holyfield hater, I'll ask you again when did Evander test positive for illegal substances??

12. energie

Dec 8, 2012
    IM VERY INTERESTED IN WHAT YOUR SAYING SO WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT ???:huh

13. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Well I'm saying Holyfield was the superior fighter, hence why he think he would win.... :thumbsup

14. Big Ukrainian

Jan 10, 2007
    We've discussed it a while ago, buddy

1) It's undeniable that today's runners, boxers, bodybuilders, wrestlers, basketball players etc. are MUCH more muscular than the runners, boxers, bodybuilders, wrestlers, basketball players of 50's when the PED's were already invented bat weren't used widely in sports. Why. Supplements? They are far less effective than it's said.

I used them and the best supplement of all was creatine for me. It gave me about +5% of additional strength. Every other supplement is less effective. The guys from different sports I've talked with agree on it.

2) I'm a competitive powerlifter in an (officially) doping-free federation (RAW 100% powerlifting). We have doping tests then and there, every tournament 20% of all athletes are checked on PED's. Approx' 30% of the checked athletes are caught with PED's. That's in strictly doping-free federation where you are disqualified for life if you are caught.

3) In the above mentioned sports the money aren't big (you know it as you are a powerlifter). So despite they aren't motivated by money they still risk lifetime disqualification and use PEDs.

4) In boxing, MMA etc the money are BIG, so people supposedly use every possible advantage including drugs

5) Holyfield is a PED user, as are Roy Jones, Shannon Briggs, Andre Berto etc. But I won't call them cheaters because then I should call most elite athletes cheaters. I respect them too much to say that.

15. Big Ukrainian

Jan 10, 2007
    Vanboxingfan, do you agree with me that PED's should be legalized in sports? At least then we'll see who were clean and who already used it.

If athlete wasn't a PED user, after making PEDs legal he should improve his speed and power significantly.

Now every PED user denies it only because he'll be disqualified. It's not safe to say it when you aren't retired.