Prime for Prime-Evander Holyfield vs Mike Tyson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by tommygun711, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Foxy 01

Foxy 01 Boxing Junkie banned

Apr 23, 2012
    Ffs, you moronic piece of sh it. The criteria was from Berbick when Tyson was a world champion. He fought 38 year old Holmes AFTER that.

Lewis beat Weaver almost 2 years before he became a world title holder.

The word you are looking for is idiocy, and it describes you perfectly.:roll::roll:

2. Foxy 01

Apr 23, 2012
    Were you born a fukin liar, or is it something you picked up along the way? Douglas did NOT run away from a Tyson rematch. Rather your rap ist hero didn't want another fuking hiding like the first one.

Which is why he paid Lewis step aside and got battered by Holyfield instead when that fight arised.

Haha, Lewis drooling. You're a Walter fukin Mitty. The only Heavyweight ever to drool in the ring was your boy when he couldn't get his dummy back in his mouth, after Buster had finished bashing him.

3. Kokid83

Kokid83 Member Full Member

May 2, 2009
    Your Lewis alarm goes off anytime his name is brought up isnt it? You keep bringing up these Ruddock fights....that all you got lame? Maybe we can talk about how Tyson unified the titles in the ring and not like some scorned female taking fighters to court and picking titles out of trashcans like your boy lol the only place you will EVER see someone rate Lewis above Tyson or even put him top 3 is by online losers like you, NOBODY rates that Tyson win but Lewis knob lickers like yourself...all you do is repeat the same ****..I said your boy was top 10..why isnt that enough??. Id rather debate your boyfriends Wass or Foxy than you...all you know is Lewis and not **** else..at least im sure they know boxing..don't ever quote me again weirdo..

4. Kokid83

May 2, 2009
    I will admit i was out of line and i would really like to hear your reasoning for why you rate Lewis so high? Im willing to move away from the juvenile back and forth and have a healthy debate, ***** in your court

5. Kokid83

May 2, 2009
    Haha laughed out loud at this..its funny b/c its true

6. Foxy 01

Apr 23, 2012
    No, Tyson threw his in the trash can rather than face Lewis, then showing an even greater level of stupidity, got beaten up and stopped by Holyfield instead.:lol::lol::rofl

7. Foxy 01

Apr 23, 2012
    Do you mean the crackhead that started crying like a girl in the ring and told Mills Lane that he didn't want to fight.

KO - 8. = the rap ist.

8. Vanboxingfan

Vanboxingfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Sure, I think we can have a civil discussion. Firstly, I'll admit that I say things to purposely aggravate some posters who I think are completely biased against Lewis because I like him.

So why do I like him? Well I'm Canadian for starters, which means I've followed him since day one. Secondly, I've also followed Tyson as he was moving up and I remember how excited the world was to see Tyson fight and how the world stopped to watch. And I was one of those people. I, like many others though he was indestructible. But, looking back, I noticed how fighters like Spinks were scared ****less of him even before he stepped into the ring, and realized that a fair number of fighters were scared of him before they even stepped into the ring.

But what about the one's who weren't and who would they be?

Well they would be champion material. They would be the Holyfield's, the Lewis's, the few who were true champions and/or warriors and as it turned out, an unknown fighter named Douglas.

So what attributes did they have that the rest didn't? Two things, they usually had heart, and they had size. Now Holyfield didn't have the later, but he had the former in spades. Douglas, during his fight with Tyson had both, Lewis I would argue also had both. Essentially all three of them bullied the bully.

All that aside, I consider Tyson a very elite fighter and there's not many that could have beaten him in his peak. He deserves all the accolades afforded him. Also one also has to consider that the style of fighter he was, meant that he was never going to result in him being an elite fighter into his 30's.

Dempsey, Marciano, Frazier, never remained on top of the sport after their early 30's simply because it's an incredibly hard type of style to keep up. The intensity, the skill and the sheer energy necessary to sustain this style is simply mindboggling. And given his relative short stature, he was also going to be at a style disadvantage against an elite superheavyweight.

Doesn't mean he can't beat those type of fighters, but if they fight like the big men they are, and they don't get KO's in the first 3-4 rounds, then it's an uphill battle for sure.

Now what about Lewis, what makes him so special? Well firstly he persevered and won an Olympic Gold, that's no mean feat and requires and hell of a lot of discipline. Fighters who have won metals include, Holyfield, Ali, Foreman, Frazier, and Wlad, so to think there's no correlation between winning a gold metal and winning the heavyweight title, is silly.

Those who criticize Lewis say he purposely avoided Tyson and stayed an amateur specifically to avoid Tyson. I say that's ridiculous for a number of reasons. One is that kids often dream their whole lives of winning Olympic metals if they competitive in any sport, so you're living a once in a life time chance. Secondly, the amateurs are a great training ground to going professional, and lastly people such as hockey stars who have won numerous Stanley Cups will look back on their careers and say, the Olympic Gold meant just as much to me or more than a Stanley Cup, because I was representing my country, and I was proud to have won a metal for my country.

Now style wise, my favourite fighter is Duran, hands down, and certainly out of the two fighters, Tyson is much more Duran like than Lewis, but Duran was also a thinker in the ring, Tyson never struck me as someone who had a plan B. But to his credit, he never needed a plan B very often.

But an aggressive Lewis was also fun to watch, and I think the biggest difference between the two was that Tyson needed to be close to achieve a KO where as Lewis, because of his reach could deliver a KO punch from farther away. Using Ruddock as an example, I don't think Ruddock was ready for the type of punches Lewis hit him with, they came over the top and caught him completely off guard, Tyson could beat Ruddock, but not with that type of punch, because he's simply not big enough. Tua was also unable to deal with the sheer size of Lewis.

Now like Tyson, Lewis has his faults, his two biggest faults being a suspect chin and complacency. They're related in the sense that if he's not complacent he don't get KO'd. But it happened only twice and he proved, emphatically in the Rahman rematch, that it was his complacency rather than anything Rahman did that resulted in that KO. But if Lewis truly had a chin as shaky as many claim, Rahman would have duplicated what he did in the first fight. Tua would have KO'd him when he landed cleanly in the first round. Tyson hit him cleanly one or twice as well, and certainly he was hit by some flush punches by Vitali. So while his chin isn't anywhere near Tyson's (who I think get's extremely short changed with this lack of heart label), it's not as bad as detractors like to portray it to be. And but for those two punches, Lewis would have gone through his career undefeated.

Competition; I think when your the champion of vying to be the champion you naturally face pretty tough competition, so I think for the most part their competition is similar, with the exception of post prison Tyson, who's comp was so bad, that I actually predicted a Holyfield win when they first met, not because I was enamoured with Holyfield, but rather I was so underwhelmed with the fighters Tyson was fighting and the number of rounds he actually fought prior to their meeting. Essentally Tyson going to prison ended his career, he was never the same fighter afterwards regardless of who says what. As for Tyson and Lewis never meeting when they were peak, if I were to assign blame to anyone, it would likely be King. I think Lewis was dead set on not letting King get his hooks into him, and as may former clients have attested through various lawsuites, that may have been the single best move of his career. But he paid a price, and that price was he never got to fight certain fighters, like a peak Tyson because of this decision. And we all know the story about Bowe so we don't need to rehash why they never fought.

So that's about it. Your turn.

9. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Mike would take this, would be more finely tuned and on point. Holyfield would have some minor sucess, but Evander wouldn't be able to hold up to prime Mike.H e would be stopped late.

10. Ducklerr

Ducklerr Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Almost everyone who knows boxing rates Lewis above Tyson...

11. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Some of youse guys (sic) is doin' good.
    No need for more infantile insults & extreme favoritism.

12. amhlilhaus

amhlilhaus Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Tyson in his prime had D'Amato and rooney supporting him mentally. he wouldn't break like he did when they did fight.

it would have been awesome though.

13. Kokid83

May 2, 2009
    That means what to me? What is ''knowing'' boxing? is their a degree for that? :roll:... Almost everyone who ''knows boxing'' on the net also has some type of disdain for Tyson as well and cant judge his prime accordingly without letting some bias creep in, using illogic arguments with the same rehashed disproved statements... Tyson wasn't the only ATG with a short prime or to be knocked out in their prime..Its all subjective..I rate Lewis at 10..Tyson at 8..Holy at 7....that's my opinion...like rating Lewis over Tyson is a opinion ( not a bad one btw ) there is a reason we don't have a universal top 10 .. this ''Knowing boxing'' nonsense is irrelevant since sound arguments can be made either way for Tyson, Holyfield or Lewis..Now point me in the direction of boxing university so i can ''know'' boxing as well as you..

14. Kokid83

May 2, 2009
    Now this is a good argument..you do know your stuff and I apologize for my rants earlier..Ill have a counter argument to this soon as I get the chance...:good

15. moneytheman12

moneytheman12 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 4, 2021
    well you would be putting cash down to lose cause holy was a brawler and wasnt tough enough for taking damage