Prime for Prime James Toney vs Thomas Hearns

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Ali Frazier, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Ali Frazier

Ali Frazier KO ARTIST Full Member

Mar 9, 2014
  2. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Hearns gets underrated because of his fights with Barkley and a bad style matchup. I think Hearns knocks out Toney prior to Hagler. Hearns might have lost to Leonard and Hagler, but he also psychologically wrecked them and neither guy really fought well after fighting him. And look what Hearns did to Duran. The only guy Hearns didn't really hit and hurt much was Benitez. How he avoided Tommy's punches I don't know.

3. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    You aren't going to beat James Toney with right hands. If Tommy cannot land his right, Toney walks over him in an easy 6-8 rounds. If Hearns tries to land his right early, he'll get countered early. 1-2 rounds.

Journeyman92 likes this.
  4. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    no he won't Hearns had a jab and he would use it and James would get hit with the right. Tommy is no Dave Tiberi.

5. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I believe KO magazine did this match up about 17 or 18 years ago, unless it was some other boxing publication I was looking at. Toney was actually picked to beat Hearns if I recall. James was extremely durable and I doubt Hearns would be able to force the knockout or stoppage. Toney had power at middleweight and super middlweight too. Styles would make this a tough fight for Hearns. I think Tommy might be able to squeak out a close decision if he fought the right kind of fight, but frankly I wouldn't feel comfortable putting money on it.

Reinhardt and Fergy like this.
  6. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    If he was in best condition, at middleweight, I'd probably pick James Toney.
    Intriguing match.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  7. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Hearns was an ATG, I just have problems with picking him beating the rugged dangerous, skilled fighters at middleweight and above.

Mark Dunham likes this.
  8. SILVER SKULL 66

SILVER SKULL 66 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Tough one to call, i assume this fight is at 160, Hearns would have to fight a near flawless fight, and even then it would be very close, any mistakes and Tommy with his vulnerable chin and shaky legs ends up on the canvas...

Interesting fight since both men are from Detroit, i lean more towards James because we know he has the chin to take Tommy's shots BUT not vice versa:-(

It would be a damn good scrap..

9. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Both guys in top shape? I think James Toney would break through and stop Tommy Hearns in the mid to late rounds. Toney could punch himself and he had that great defense, chin and was a great counterpuncher.

10. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    This is the very definition of a 'Dream Fight', IMO. Instant Classic.

Cases can be made for both men; therefore I'm sitting on the fence! Haha.

11. TBomb 25

TBomb 25 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 10, 2009
    This fight goes the distance Hearns in a split decision....People really underestimate Hearns chin....the problem was his legs...after the Hagler fight his legs looked good...he just got caught by Barkley with a shot that would have ko'd anyone...the 2nd fight well he didnt fight his fight....and just wanted to prove Barkley couldn't knock him out. Ive only seen Tony beat up tall slow guys, Nunn dominated him and just got caught with a great shot....sometimes you just caught with something big.....but its how you come back from it is what counts, you have to be like a great 3 pt shooter you cant have a conscious when you miss, knowone did that better than Hearns....

Mark Dunham likes this.
  12. Goyourownway

Goyourownway Insanity enthusiast Full Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Hearns was simply a more vulnerable fighter above 154. I don't think he benefited a great deal from the added bulk on his upper body. The hand speed was still there but his foot speed wasn't as apparent and he wasn't as mobile. Toney was always a plodder and struggled with good guys with decent lateral movement, so it's not inconceivable that Hearns could built up an early, sizeable lead (I actually think he'd do just that.) I just don't think he'd be able to maintain the necessary movement needed over the entire duration of the fight. Toney'll make him miss, pick at his body even when he's losing rounds, and he has both the speed and adept timing to make Hearns pay for any mistake he makes, and he can hurt him.

Toney was a huge f*cking middleweight as well; he emerged during a time when the sport was making the transition over to the day before the fight weigh-in's, which enabled natural light heavyweights like him, Eubank, Jones and McClellan to compete at a weight that they'd have never made ten years earlier. Hearns, in spite of his height, had to put weight on and grow into a middleweight.

13. Grinder

Grinder Dude, don't call me Dude Full Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Styles and weakness decide this fight. Although Tommy would put up a grand performance, Toney has an atg beard. Converesly, Hearns' chin would fold under a big fat Toney shot to pretty much end the fight.

14. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    I might slide with Toney by late stoppage while being down on the cards. Besidrs laying back and slip/counterung he could also press the issue

15. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Toney comes from behind to ko Tommy.