Prime Foreman vs prime Mike Tyson who wins?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Jun 9, 2018.

1. GordonGarner65

GordonGarner65 Active Member Full Member

Nov 12, 2016
    No doubt you'd have made GF a sure thing against Jimmy Young ?

2. GordonGarner65

Nov 12, 2016
    Why do you label anyone who disagrees with you , with this ridiculous title you bestow on them as a 'hater' ? I find it boorish and insulting.
    My arguments aren't put forward as insults and there is reasoning behind them.
    Your constant use of this word should be looked at by the forum moderators.

3. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    You wrote public, visible for everyone at "Your unshakable boxing opinions":

"1 Foreman vastly overrated boxer of all time."

End of debate. Do you rate David Tua lower than Foreman? What about a "Anyway he likes" performance for Tyson vs Tua as well?
    You judge by hatred, not by styles. And Foreman had one of the best HW-baselines in power*chin you could find, which is a tough matchup for Tyson anyday.

langdell and JohnThomas1 like this.
  4. manbearpig

manbearpig A Scottish Noob Full Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Mike Tyson would absolutely **** up Foreman.

Those big looping, wide punches are just asking to be countered by tight, clean hooks and uppercuts.

Tyson had some of the tightest and cleanest punches ever.

Bad match up for Foreman because Tyson had enough durability to negate being caught by a couple of the Foreman thuds.

5. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    I think Tyson's fluidity and accuracy do Foreman in. He's just a more precise, dynamic puncher with faster hands and better defense. And Mike can certainly take a punch from top shelf power hitters.

6. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I agree, the size when he got older might help him, although the weakness is he was a little slower, so could Mike maybe plan to blitz him early … I always thought Mike was greater, but Foreman's style was too much for him.

7. Cojimar 1946

Cojimar 1946 Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Foreman's chin is a bit hard to gauge since he didn't really face massive hitters during his career. Had he faced Lennox Lewis or Ruddock and gotten kayoed many people wouldn't rate his chin as highly. But someone like Lewis would be by far the best puncher he fought so its hard to say how he holds up.

8. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Foreman`s best wins were Norton, Lyle and Frazier, Tyson`s best opponent in his prime was Tony Tucker, so I don`t get your argument.

9. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Ron Lyle hit harder than Lewis and Foreman got off the floor to KO him in a classic.

10. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    What did Tyson achieve that Foreman didn`t? George beat Frazier, Norton and Lyle and he stopped all three, not a bad CV! Tyson`s best opponent during his prime was Tucker and he easily took Mike`s best shots.

11. GordonGarner65

Nov 12, 2016
    What's Tua got to do with anything I've said ?
    You're a walking argument.

12. GordonGarner65

Nov 12, 2016
    Lyle hit harder than Lewis ? Says who ?
    Regardless, how hard a puncher was Jimmy Young ?

13. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Suuuuuure he did.

yakup likes this.
  14. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Did you understand anything of my post?

You discredited Foremans resume, which won´t work since you can take a much lesser opponent with a good power*chin baseline and let him face Tyson.
    A good power*chin baseline will never result in an "Anyway he likes" job for Tyson due to his come forward style.

Rating Tyson vs. Foreman primes with "Anyay he likes" is bases on nothing but hate.

15. Contro

Contro Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Yeah old Foreman did take a better punch. He was bigger, more relaxed, more determined.
    And young George was forced by his trainers to dehydrate and dry out before his fights, which is unbelievably stupid for a HW and damages your punch resistance.

Young George became champ DESPITE his terrible trainers.

IDK who to pick. George is stronger and forces Tyson back which is a big +
    but Tyson had much tighter and faster punches, much better training and boxing IQ and a much better defense.

I don't think young George could last another 4 rounds vs Lennox Lewis after gassing out in 3-4 rounds or last another 5 rounds vs Holyfield after visibly gassing out in the 6th round like Tyson did.

Young George wasn't that mentally strong himself, gassed much easier than pre prison Mike and fought worse than Tyson when tired.

But no Mike is NOT aclear favorite