Prime Foreman vs prime Mike Tyson who wins?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Jun 9, 2018.

1. GordonGarner65

GordonGarner65 Active Member Full Member

Nov 12, 2016
    If an old lady or disabled person was pushed in front of you for a seat on the bus,you would describe them and whoever was assisting them as ', haters'.

2. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Do you understand the meaning of "100% Anyway he likes" ? I guess Foreman was an amateur, right? Do you see Tyson winning 10/10 times matching him with Foreman?

Guess you´d better backpadel with your claim. I´m not the only person here trying to value your absolute exaggerated mismatched view of Tyson vs. Foreman.

3. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Uh how?

He got off the floor to win against lyle, something tyson never did. If that isnt mental toughness idk what is.

And his chin didnt get better with age, he paced himself better and was smarter. 10 years of ring rust and getting fat doesnt do a chin any favors.

mcvey likes this.
  4. rhin0z>

rhin0z> Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 13, 2014
    1973 george forman was one mean sob he would have not been intimidated at all by tyson (one battle already won). he fought tall and was very physical. I still remember him ping ponging fraizer on top of the head and bouncing him.

1987-88 tyson fast and well schooled, had the better motor for endurance. great inside game and body work. I think he could get past foremans jab. love tyson never seen anything like him before or since.

with all things being equal, I think george fought better opponents . thats my pick.

yakup likes this.
  5. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Moorer , IMO, would have lost more quickly vs a young Foreman because a young Foreman was more explosive and quicker moving, not necessarily stronger.

6. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    This here. The way I see it Foreman has to blast Tyson away early. But with Tyson's chin and defense, I'd say that's unlikely

moneytheman12 and GordonGarner65 like this.
  7. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    ????

8. Contro

Contro Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Thats a meaningless statistic that can be invalidated as easily as a referee mistaking a slip in the stewart fight for a KD.
    Tyson came back from being hurt vs Bruno and Ruddo which means the same thing, except surviving when hurt is much much harder for a smaller man, especially when his style is coming at your opponent with everything from round 1 which makes a come from behind win almost impossible since if you come at your opponent with everything in round 1 and yoh still lose the early rounds how are you going to do any better later in the fight, you'll only fade.

So if George was so mentally tough back then why did he give up fighting after losing to young? The division was wide open.
    Why do so many here describe him as a different way worse fighter after Zaire despite not being physically damaged?
    Why didnt he even argue with the ref after he beat the count vs ali but the fight was waved off as the reigning champ he just walked away dejectedly?
    Wtf was that freakshow vs 5 guys where george even attacked the bums cornermen?

Because young George is just as much of a bully as tyson is accused of being.
    Difference is george redeemed himself inside the ring in his second career. But thats not young george. Thats old george who was a much more mature man.

Pacing yourself and being relaxed certainly help your punch resistance, so whether or not his brain or his jaw was stronger at 40 than 25 is irrelevant because in the end he DID take a better punch in his 2nd career, regardless of why.
    Young georges "barn door" defense was also abysmal and wide open to someone his own height who throws quick straight punches lire tony tucker or any one other decent boxer from the 80s forward, if lennox Lewis stays concentrated he kills george but thats another topic.

And i still only give tyson a 50/50- 70/30 chance of winning but it would be nothing like foreman frazier

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    GordonGarner65 likes this.
  9. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    George quit after young because he had a religious experience. He was already rich and young (no pun intended) and his chances of rematching ali were pretty much gone. He no longer liked the person he had become. Nearly all men go through something similar. Against ali no he didnt beat the count this is one of the biggest myths. Against the 5 men i dont get y u brought that up. He didnt quit and was using the event as a misguided attempt to reclaim his badboy image. Tyson on the other hand flat out quit in the biggest fight of his life against holyfield by deliberately fouling over and over. He constantly had to do hard drugs and alcohol to deal witj his personal demons.

Getting off the floor to win is a "meaningless statistic" to you? o_O

Tyson was a front runner. He never, i repeat, never won a fight where he was trailing on the scorecards or got off the floor to win. Foreman did both (against lyle, stewart, moore). Bruno wasnt winning either fight and ruddock had tyson hurt yes, but then tyson fouled him and was warned and even deducted multple points by mills lane. He should have been disqualified but he was the cash cow. Ruddock wasnt up on the scorecard either.

In a battle between two aggressive sluggers, mental strengtha and will power is a huge x factor. Have you ever boxed? The fact you actually, honestly believe making a comeback when behind or on the floor doesnt matter is downright hilarious and a sad attempt to overlook tysons weakness.

10. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    It's begging the question to assume Tyson would even be dropped or behind on the score cards.

11. Contro

Jun 7, 2016
    I seriously question his religious experience. The authority that many people go to to criticize Tyson, Teddy atlas, also called George Foreman a command who and I QUOTE "switched to preacher con after the bully Con was exposed" and from the preacher con to the cuddly grandpa chasing the dream con when his money ran outside a preacher.
    Tyson was hurt in fights and came back same psychological ramification as being dropped.
    Tysonwas behind vs Botha
    Behind against Tucker after 3 and Thomas after 5 according to Larry merchant at least
    And lost the first round against a few other fighters and had a close one against Tillis.

Foreman was NOT seriously trailing against Lyle it was close right until Lyle collapsed. Not a criticism of Foreman but correction of your statement.

Foreman was ahead against steward after an early KD and lost his early lead, he wasn't trailing.

Yeah Tyson showed plenty of mental weakness which hurts his legacy. AFTER prison and everyone,everyone here knows that he was not the same fighter and not the same man after prison. He might have always had those tendencies but he had them under control so that they never showed their head before jail.
    Just like someone might have always had the genes that predisposed them to alcoholism, scizophrenia or depression but then a specific incident sent them over the deep end.

Foremans religious experience was imo (and inteddy atlas opinion) a bogus copout. Just like Tyson's excuses for biting holyfield.

Foreman changed in a way that made him better in the ring, Tyson lost it mentally.

But Tyson's post prison mental weakness and Foremans 2nd career determination are not part of the discussion imo

12. GordonGarner65

GordonGarner65 Active Member Full Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Im still certain Tyson wins this matchup, but you make some valid points

moneytheman12 likes this.
  13. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    While I think Foreman wins, I don't buy this whole thing of Foreman wouldn't be scared of Tyson at all. It would entirely depend on how Tyson was viewed when Foreman fought him. If he takes the places of Frazier, and that kind of build up, Foreman is 100% scared of Tyson. He said he was scared of Frazier the first time they fought, and Tyson isn't some shrinking violent next to Frazier.

14. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Foreman didn't acclimatize for the heat, got severely dehydrated and suffered heatstroke. This was almost definitely the cause of his "hallucinations".

I don't doubt one bit he thought he saw god etc. I severely doubt it was part of some big con. The evidence is there for all to see imo.

George was a bit "different" to say the least.

15. Contro

Jun 7, 2016
    Maybe he did maybe he didnt, he was certainly badly exhausted. Not the only point in my argument and this is one im willing to concede.

I maintain the stance that young george would have never endured what old george did if his 70s mind was teleported into his 90s body and forced to stay patient while taking the rust off vs those 20 bums and then take the punishment george took in several big fights including a failed title challenge and a beating vs Holyfield, a beating from alex stewart and another failed minor title fight vs tommy morrison.
    Then lose 9 rounds and take another beating vs a 26 year old southpaw puncher until you finally line him up for the perfect punch.
    Young george stuck in an aching, aging, slowed down 40-something year old body would have quit after the first big payday vs holyfield or had another religious experience that kept him from reaching his goal.

Imo it took 10 years of George asking himself what if and being ashamed of himself for the way he left boxing and his legacy to motivate him to be the incredibly determined and shrewd man he was in his second career