Prime Frank Bruno vs Prime James Douglas

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by lepinthehood, Jul 9, 2015.

1. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Both had power, both had good jabs, both had suspect jaws and questionable stamina.
    Both were 6'3 buster had a 83inch reach to franks 82 inch reach.
    You could say the peak douglas that battered tyson could beat any version of Bruno. But let's look at the lesser guys who beat him.

Who wins?

2. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    On their best days Douglas wins this.

He had better speed and reflexes, and better variety of punches.

3. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Bruno always found a way to lose to the best.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  4. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    frank takes him after some early trouble.

5. ticar

ticar Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Dec 7, 2008
    buster douglas is much better prime4prime

rinsj likes this.
  6. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    In theory no, but the pressure of the occasion would be such, that I still think we would see a 'classic' Bruno collapse (from a potential winning position).

7. FastHands(beeb)

FastHands(beeb) Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 28, 2010
    The best of Douglas beats the best of Bruno for a number of reasons imo. As TBooze said, FB always found a way to lose the really big one, his temperament was poor due a deep-rooted fundamental lack of self-confidence, this transferred to using up too much nervous energy which takes a toll, especially with one so heavily muscled as Frank.

I think Douglas' jab would be more effective than Frank's in this fight, Bruno's immobility meant that his heavy jab was much less effective against a moving target, which I think Douglas would be. I think Douglas would use his superior footwork to create angles to jab Bruno and follow up with his combinations.

I also believe Douglas' chin and stamina to both be superior to Bruno's; Douglas showed against Tyson that he could recover from a big shot & maintain his survival instincts - Bruno just seemed to switch off. Douglas looked fairly fresh after 10 with Tyson; Bruno for me didn't have that kind of stamina; the 10 rounds he had with Phil Brown & Truth Williams were not the same...

I think after a fairly cautious start Douglas gradually pulls away and stops an exhausted & bewildered Bruno in about 10 rounds.

8. N_ N___

N_ N___ Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 1, 2014
    They'd argue with each other over who would get knocked out in the 10th round while up on the cards.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  9. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    It generally took big punchers who imposed themselves physically on Bruno and usually after taking a pretty good hammering from him early to beat Frank. While Douglas showed he could box and win some big fights he also showed he could lose to lesser men and doesn't really fall into the category of fighter who Bruno typically lost to.. I'm leaning towards Frank to pull off a stoppage.

10. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    The Douglas of the Tyson fight beats the best Bruno .

11. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    I just watched Tucker Douglas. Damn, Douglas was such a good fighter, so much potential.

Brunos got the power to do an early job on Douglas if he catches him napping.

But if it goes late into the fight, what happens?

Coincidentally, both of them beat Mcall.

12. Vince Voltage

Vince Voltage Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Gotta go with Douglas if he's at his absolute best.

13. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004

I would imagine this would be picking the underdog here but I can see this outcome....Bruno was a bit more consistent but was a bit stiff and Buster had a few good nights, we all know one and other than that one, would Buster be the pick?....toss-up for me but like I said Bruno was the more consistent but toss-up

14. clark

clark Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Absolutely.

15. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Nobody mentioned that Bruno hits harder.
    He is one of the few Adonis-looking guys whose punch was proportionate.

But otherwise for all the reasons given Douglas was better.
    Also was more consistent is not relevant.
    It is prime vs. prime.

Douglas was always listed at 6' 4" I believe, box rec has him at 1/2" shorter.
    Both had very long arms for their heights.

I do not think it would need to be ONLY Tokyo Douglas to win, but Tokyo Douglas easily beats Bruno.