Prime Frank Bruno vs Prime James Douglas

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by lepinthehood, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Tokyo Douglas > Frank.

2. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Douglass would win a close fight, in just a one fight scenario. Bruno didn't have Buster's skill set.

3. Berlenbach

Berlenbach Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2011
    But Douglas lost to much lesser fighters than Bruno lost to... David Bey, Jesse Ferguson, Mike White, Lou Savarese... Bruno was always in shape, unlike Douglas, was more consistent, and his weaknesses, stamina and chin, were Buster's weaknesses too. I give Frank a good chance here.

4. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I've never been a big proponent of picking a guy to win a fantasy fight based on only one night's work in his entire career. By this logic Iran Barkley, Rubin Carter and Oliver McCall should be winning a hell of a lot of fantasy fights. While its true that Douglas beating Tyson is head over heels better than anything Bruno ever did, I don't view it as being that simple. There were a lot more nights like the ones he had against Bey, Ferguson and White than there were stellar ones.. And Douglas had both size and reach over Tyson that he wouldn't have over Bruno. James also didn't fit the type of profile that it generally took to break Frank down either. Could he win it? sure he could. But I'm more inclined to make this one a 50/50 bet than giving landslide odds to Douglas as some already have.

5. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Bruno would be favourite, everyone would give him a decent chance, and that would be his downfall; when the pressure of being favourite or at least having a good chance against someone world class was thrust on The Bomber, he ultimately folded...

6. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Douglas by comfortable decision

Frank was too robotic and predictable to win this, unless Douglas just isn't there mentally at all.

If focused, Buster would use his physical advantages to oubox Bruno.

7. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Douglas anytime from January 1986 to February 1990 beats any version of Bruno you care to put in front of him.
    The idea that Douglas had "only one night prime" is not true.
    The Douglas who lost to Tucker beats Bruno.

Not that Douglas was anything special, but he'd beat Bruno.

8. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    Convenient of you to omit the version who lost to Jesse Ferguson just 7 months prior to your chosen start date... I guess those wins over Dave Jaco, Dee Colier and a tail spinning Greg Page must have set quite the impression.

9. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    No, the Greg Page win was his real breakthrough win. That's why I say January 1986. Yes, Douglas boxed very well in that fight.

But, if you want, I'd pick the Douglas of the Jesse Ferguson fight to beat Bruno too. :lol:

10. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    Well you also picked max Schmeling to beat Larry Holmes at one point so I'll take this with a grain of salt ;)

11. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    MaCall fought both and said Buster punched harder than anybody he met.

Bruno fought like he had a flak vest strapped to himself. Buster's more fluid and finds a home for his uppercut more easily than Lewis did. Buster had a fierce uppercut. Ferice

12. Phil_Ivey_76

Phil_Ivey_76 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 26, 2013
  13. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Douglas had fast hands, faster than Bruno and faster jab, better skills and combinations, but not the power. late 80's it might go the same way as Bruno Witherspoon; but any version of Douglas post Tyson, Bruno wins by stoppage.

14. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Schmeling beat lots of good heavyweights including a "top 2" ATG. He might well get a decision over Holmes. Schmeling was the best in the world at one point. He was a vey good boxer with a sneaky right hand counter.

Bruno's best win is a decision over Oliver McCall, who Douglas beat years earlier. Ferguson, when he was getting on and already a journyeman sparring partner, gave prime McCall a close fight too.
    Bruno beat a 245 pound untrained old Ferguson of course.

Douglas and Ferguson were both competent heavyweights in 1985 match. They look far better than most the guys Bruno ever fought.

But fighters do have "primes" too. Their best years.
    I think it's ironic that I pointed out that Douglas's prime should be extended and wasn't "just one night" (as many people claim) but encompasses the period 1986 to 1990, and you picked me up on not extended it back to 1985.
    I say OK, 1985 then. That's a substantial five year prime period.

Douglas, to me, was probably as good as the soft 235 pound Witherspoon who proved too much for Bruno, and better than anyone Bruno ever beat.
    Just my opinion.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  15. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    I agree with the old man.

People forget, Douglas was on a good run prior to facing Tyson, beating Page, Berbick and Mcall before popping Tysons cherry.
    . Douglas also looked good in his loss to Tucker.