Prime Frazier 1969-1971 vs Prime Foreman 1973

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by abdelfadeel, Jun 12, 2014.

1. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    I don`t think so.

One thing Foreman was able to do was use his superior strength to push Joe back seemingly with ease. When Frazier tried to get back inside George teed off on him. Remember Foreman`s biggest power were in those uppercuts. That was his wheelhouse.

Eddie Futch admitted to being suprised that Foreman was able to manhandle Frazier that way. He wasn`t ready for that tactic.

Also Foreman had that big jab and he used it more against Frazier than he did in other fights because Joe was right there in front of him not evading his power.

I think Frazier may put up a better fight than Kingston but it`s marginal IMO.

Foreman by TKO

2. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Here's the reason I don't think Prime Foreman beat's Frazier.
    For those of you that have watched their first fight, you may have noticed that the ref does a very bad job in this as he allows Foreman to repeatedly get away with just shoving Joe away and pushing him to the side in order to set up his clubbing shots. Frazier actually has a fair degree of success in getting to Foreman early on and lands some decent left hooks and jabs. Foreman has trouble controlling range and keeping Frazier off him. With a different ref I think it would be interesting to see how Foreman wold have coped if he hadn't been allowed manhandle Frazier and repeatedly shove him back with full on pushes. The ref should have addressed this early.

This brings me to my other point. It may seem bizarre to criticize Foreman in a fight where he blasted out such a high profile opponent - but I've always been bothered by his tactics in this. Very little use of the jab, no real success at keeping Frazier at bay and rather untidy, wild punches. Frazier did most of his best work in close, so I would have expected Foreman to box and use his jab to set up his power shots. But crucially he seemed unable to do this and was allowed to get away with resorting to pushes and shoves followed by wild swings that left him prime to be caught square from a left hook - Frazier's marquee punch.

As it happened, Foreman's power and roughhousing was too much for Frazier but I do think it would have been interesting to see what would have happened with a different ref. As Ali showed, Foreman could be prone to punching himself out with his big swings and the drawback of having power is that you often don't get into later rounds. Frazier for me was reasonably successful at getting to Foreman early on made possible by Foreman neglecting the jab. Had it gone on for longer with a ref that wouldn't let Foreman away with his pushing I think it would have been interesting. Such was Foreman's power, Frazier's added fat, Frazier's decline after the FOTC, and him underestimating Foreman, that the result may well have been the same once he landed a big one but I do think the ref and his tactics made it far easier than it should/could have been.
    That being said, Prime vs Prime it's a very different story. Win or lose, Frazier will do much better than he did in '73.
    Frazier is not as easy to hit as many think. He was actually harder to hit than Tyson. If he can avoid some of ALI's punches, he can certainly avoid Foreman's Harder but SLOWER and LESS ACCURATE punches.
    Another thing that should be added, contrary to popular belief, Frazier could alter his style. Frazier was known for his come forward style, but he didn't always just walk right into his opponents power range and try to beat them down. He countered, used his feet better and punched off the angles when pressured himself. He did this against Chuvalo, Quarry, Ellis and Bonavena in their rematch. Against Foreman, Joe thought that he could just out-smart and out-bully the bully and instead he got bullied around himself.
    Chuvalo pressured Frazier and backed him up a couple of times in the fight. What did Joe do? He backed up, jabbed, countered and used his right hand more, and in better condition, showed the head movement against Chuvalo that he didn't against Foreman. Plus the fact that Chuvalo wasn't allowed to turn the match into a wrestling contest like Mercante allowed Foreman to do against Frazier. Now we all no there's a distinct difference in punching power between Chuvalo and Foreman, but not a whole lot of difference strength wise.
    I know I'm in the minority in this one but I pick Frazier to survive the early rounds and break Foreman down with his relentless body attack.

Nighttrain likes this.