Prime Henry Cooper vs Prime Anthony Joshua

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Johnny_B

Johnny_B Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 8, 2020
    Not in a million years. You people need to stop with this crap about "grit" and stuff. You can have all the desire in the world, all the mental toughness, if you ain't skilled enough, it doesn't ****ing matter.

2. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Horrible. Poor Henry would almost literally fighting for his life here. Smashed up, cut to bits and ruined in 4 but a large percentage of the British sporting public will lionise Henry for his enormous, futile courage.

3. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Copper is being seriously underestimated here. Joshua is still a green fighter and makes a lot of mistakes that a veteran like Cooper would take advantage of. Cooper also isn’t a big easy target like most of Joshua’s opponents and Cooper was used to fighting guys with much faster hands and better accuracy than Joshua.

If Joshua fights a smart fight I’d favor him to get a hard earned decision, but if he tries to force a knockout on Cooper Joshua most likely will walk into a left hook and get himself stopped.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  4. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
  5. Toney F*** U

Oct 16, 2019
    No he wouldn’t, maybe light heavyweight but definitely not heavyweight

RB1702 likes this.
  6. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    You don't mean that

7. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    Cooper had plenty of early losses but don't be mislead by them. He was learning his craft.. His official resume is a bit misleading if you don't look into it further. He was jobbed against Bugner, retired Karl Mildenberger, went 1-1 with Zora Folley, fought numerous wars with Joe Erskine (who had wins over men like George Chuvalo & former unified LHW champion Willie Pastrano) & sent peak Ali to cloud cuckoo land, his corner had to stall out for him..

Great hook on him! Solid jab too.. watch the Ali fight, he was landing the jab at will on Ali.. That said he was about 185lbs dripping wet & had paper skin.. great guy tho, real blood & guts warrior but I think he'd struggle with the HW men of today barring a lucky punch.. match him up with today's LHWs & CWs tho! That'd be interesting.. old skool or not that hook would be in with a shout at taking any of em out..

8. Toney F*** U

Oct 16, 2019
    I really mean it, cooper has no chance against skilled super heavyweights

9. Johnny_B

Feb 8, 2020
    Patterson was indeed skilled and fast. But not in a million years is he going to dominate the modern HW division, he's simply too small. Fury would chew him up and spit him out.

10. Johnny_B

Feb 8, 2020
    Of course he doesn't, it's common sense.

Toney F*** U likes this.
  11. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    I think Cooper also would have an excellent chance at stopping Lennox Lewis and getting a UD against peak Riddick Bowe.

12. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    Negative. You just admitted that Patterson was skilled and fast. So how would Fury "chew him up and spit him up"? Who did Fury beat that was as good as prime George Chuvalo?

13. Toney F*** U

Oct 16, 2019
    You are WAYYYYY too nostalgic

14. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    Maybe I am. But Henry Cooper could box and he had enough punching power to dent Lewis chin.

15. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Andy ruiz is 6'1 with short arms and about 60+ pounds of pure blubber on his frame. If he's down to a shredded physique he'd probably weigh 215 at the very most. I don't see anything special about him in terms of skill so I am inclined to favor alot of the old timers against Joshua as I just don't think size matters as much as alot want to believe it does in the heavyweight division. if you've got skills and you've got balls you have a chance to beat Joshua