Prime Jack Dempsey?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by bman100, Apr 20, 2010.

1. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    It really is a shame how ESPN keeps hidden boxing gold nuggets of the great boxing films of yesterday asDempsey/Miske etc...The public who support ESPN, reall get the shaft from ESPN and other medias by hiding so many old time gems from the public...I realize in our society, it is all about profits, the less a film of yesterday is shown, the more valuable it becomes, so ESPN Keeps them from the boxing fans, who support there other programs...It seems that to ESPN ,boxing started with Ali, and they keep shoving the same repeats down our throats...ESPN, open up your rare boxing films to people who ,without us, you would go down the tubes....REALLY ANGRY...

2. TheGreatA

TheGreatA Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 4, 2009
    It's a shame that ESPN doesn't let the viewers see these fights, but it's also understandable as they paid a lot of money to acquire the footage. I'm sure there are people who would pay a lot to see fights like Dempsey vs Miske.

Recently I heard that the late Hank Kaplan's boxing collection will be made available to the public.

3. guilalah

guilalah Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Am curious, before sound was there a convention regarding what speed fight films and news reels were to be filmed at and projected?

Of course, with the coming of sound, there had to be some conventional speed for rendering sound; although occaisionally a sports news reel would still be shot at a bit slower speed so that more action could be fit into a certain amount of time.

Anyways, as far as modern showings of pre-sound fight films go, the onus is on those showing them to appropriately adjust the rate of projection.

4. burt bienstock

Jan 22, 2010
    The great Hank Kaplan,who I had the great pleasure to speak boxing with several times, has bequeathed his great boxing collection to Brooklyn College, Bklyn, NY...Hope to go there soon...
    P.S. I understand ESPN paid good money for these rare film gems, so they should offer these to the public in some profitable venture...Legally they have a right to keep these valuable films from the public, but morally to not making the old films available to us,is wrong methinks...

5. bman100

bman100 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2010
    I for one would love to see his fight with fulton especially, fond an article that said that fight was what made people realise his fighting ability. Hopefully they will realease that footage soon.

6. Lobotomy

Lobotomy Guest

They're ignorant idiots, Burt. In ESPN's "50:Fighters-50:States-50:Days," these gelded morons listed Christy Martin as the greatest fighter from West Virginia, and for, "Other Notables:," these boneheads respond with a blank, "N/A!" As you and I well know, the only correct answer is the name of the man in the process of knocking a peak Ezzard Charles flat on his back in my avatar photograph on the left, and even Fitzie's epitaph correctly acclaims him as, "West Virginia's Greatest Boxer!"

7. burt bienstock

Jan 22, 2010
    Lobotomy, this is politicall correctness, at its best .ESPN , to spout such nonsense as 'Christy Martin' female boxer as West Virginia's 'greatest boxer',overlooking Fitzie Fitzpatrick,a great lt.heavy puncher of the 1940s,who almost kod Ezzard Charles, amongst others..Fitzie fought in the gokden age of boxing and licked many fighters who might have been champs today...i read this garbage, yawn, and go to sleep...B>B>

8. bman100

bman100 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2010
    does anyone know what year the footage in which dempsey sparred with big bill tate was filmed? He looks exceptional in that footage IMO.

9. TheGreatA

TheGreatA Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Previous to the Dempsey-Willard fight I believe.