Prime James Toney v "Toledo" Jack Dempsey

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Seamus, Apr 13, 2019.

James Toney v Jack Dempsey

1. Dempsey by Dec

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Toney by Dec

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Dempsey by KO

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  4. Toney by KO

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I definitely don't see it tbh. I just think the best HW Toney has enough defence to escape the first round with Dempsey, it'd definitely be a Dempsey win, but I think its a stoppage late, or an incredibly one-sided decision

2. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    Unless Dempsey learned the ground game somewhere, James is in it until the final bell. James would pretty easily be the most skilled fighter Dempsey aside from maybe Tunney. One does not simply knockout James Toney. It would be a good competitive fight that Dempsey probably edges.

As far Tapping out, you've never grappled in your life. Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. Because you have no idea what you are talking about.

Reason123 and AwardedSteak863 like this.
  3. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    I have been involved in boxing my whole life whether it's been as a fighter myself or a fan and have a tremendous amount of respect for Jack Dempsey and what he has done for the sport. In his era he was a force of nature but I do believe that he would struggle with James Toney. I realize that the film quality of Dempsey's fights is poor quality but from what I see he is nowhere near as good as Toney from a technical standpoint. Watch the Firpo and Willard fights. Sure he is ferocious and beat the crap out of both men but I also see him swinging wide, off balance and picking up his back foot while have his hands down. Again, I respect him for what he did in his era but I do believe James Toney to be the more complete fighter based on actually watching both of there fights. In a thirty year career no one ever knocked out Toney and I don't believe Dempsey could either. I'll take Toney on points.

escudo likes this.
  4. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    How do you know what I've done in my life? You come off like a female telling me how I should feel. You don't like my opinion too bad. Process it..wipe your vagina off and keep it moving.

5. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    Well for starters I know you've never grappled because I have. You sound like every hyped up dumb guy who came to the gym refusing to tap because "it's for F****" only to get destroyed by a bored looking 50 year old woman, before never returning to the gym because "they couldn't handle me". Reality is your *****-ass over inflated ego couldn't handle the concept of losing and so rather learn, you quit.

You're even worse because you haven't even tried and aren't going to try. But you will talk **** about people who do. Which is the definition of useless.

Tapping is part of the learning process in grappling. It's like getting checkmated. Nothing more, nothing less. Another opportunity to learn and get better.