Prime Joe Louis (38-42) vs Rocky Marciano (52-54)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Showstopper97, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Who would win if these two fought at their absolute best? I think Joe would eventually stop Marciano in the late rounds (12-15) after a tough, gruelling fight - which sees him on the canvas atleast once.

2. Drago

Drago Member Full Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Louis. In his prime he had too much for Marciano.

As much i like Rocky and the name Rocky was stolen by Stallone´s fictional character Balboa (Rocky Balboa is today more famous then Rocky Marciano, and the when ppl hear the name "Rocky" they only think on Stallone and the movies), he was not on Joe´s level when they both were at their absolute best.

I do believe he had a good chance to go the distance with him, but it would be a UD win for Louis.

3. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    This content is protected

4. Balder

Balder Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Marciano would always beat Louis. He even said that himself. He hated crowders. Marciano wins by KO late after being down several times, Great fight.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  5. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Prime Louis gives Marciano a dreadful beating. He may not stop him but he gives him a terrible beating

6. The Fighting Yoda

The Fighting Yoda Active Member Full Member

Jan 5, 2021
    I think Louis would win.
    An old, way past his prime Louis fought 8 rounds with a younger and hungry Marciano, who was on the way up. Louis fought also a good fight for a couple of rounds, though he lost already his punching skillset. So, he wasn`t able to harm Marciano anymore. A prime Louis had tremendous combinations, better reflexes and endurance. I think, he would be to good for Marciano. I wouldn`t be totally surprised, if he could knockout Marciano even earlier. Marciano was down from single punches of Walcott and Moore, but Louis threw combos with even more power and he was an icecold finisher. However, Marciano would be a really tough opponent with a chance for a knockout.

7. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Louis busts up his face and drops him 3 times before the end around the 8th.

8. TipNom

TipNom Active Member Full Member

Jun 19, 2019
    50/50 fight imo. On some days I lean towards Louis on others I lean towards Marciano. Today, I feel Louis survives multiple knockdowns to beat Marciano by decision or TKO in around the 13th round

Richard M Murrieta and Bill1234 like this.
  9. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I don't give Tunney a chance of beating Michael Moorer, let alone every other champ in history. That is beyond absurd.

Louis KO6. Marciano never saw anything remotely like a prime Louis.

10. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I think Marciano could win but I'd favour Louis.

That said, I'd have picked Charles, Walcott, Moore and LaStarza to beat Marciano too so wtf do I know.

11. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I think a prime Louis would be awful for Marciano, and could get a fairly early stoppage.

12. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Prime Marciano wins but he would prob take the beating of his life to get there. He would eventually hurt Joe but unlike other opponents he would finish the job. I don’t think it’s a guarantee I’d prob say it’s even money to be honest. But gun to head I’m picking Marciano.

Richard M Murrieta and DanDaly like this.
  13. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Maybe marciano due to crouching , crowding style.... I wonder what walcott or charles thought

Richard M Murrieta and TipNom like this.
  14. DanDaly

DanDaly Active Member Full Member

Apr 28, 2020
    Hard fight but I'm going with prime Louis here. It would be a lot more than a brawler being outclassed by someone more skilled. At his peak, Marciano had the experience and physical ability to give any version of Joe Louis a tough time.

I'd take Louis by close decision or a stoppage purely on cuts. Marciano could stop Louis at any point of the fight but once Joe gets going those odds become less and less. What an absolutely awesome fight this would be. Perhaps even a pick em fight.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  15. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Coming straight at Louis has always struck me as being a really bad idea!

The man excelled at using his opponents forward momentum against them.