Prime Larry Holmes vs. Prime Lennox Lewis who wins?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by XCalibur79, Jul 9, 2016.

1. XCalibur79

XCalibur79 Well-Known Member Full Member

May 13, 2015
    This is one of the more intriguing matchups I haven't seen discussed. Both of these guys were consummate boxers, both had great jabs, but different kinds. Larry had a great snapping jab that he used to accumulate punishment on you, Lennox's was more of a pawing type of jab he used to set up his big right hand.

Would Larry be able to frustrate Lennox with that jab and take him out of his usual patient game plan and force Lennox to come in on him? If so could Larry cope with Lennox's powerful right provided he could avoid it enough? Only Tyson stopped Larry, but Lennox was a different kind of fighter than Tyson.

Larry was not really a power puncher, so Lennox might be tempted to be more aggressive with him, but I figure Larry certainly could sting him enough if he could catch him coming in. I don't see Larry being to aggressive with Lennox but would probably move around and try to frustrate him since Lennox didn't have great footwork.

Tough call because, I don't think Lennox really faced guys like Holmes, Ali, and Norton, guys who were great mobile boxers but were not really known for their punching power. Most of Lennox's best wins came over punchers like himself, or else swarmers. I figure Lennox might be tempted to try and blow those guys out early since he would probably not fear their power to much. what do you all think?

2. getup

getup Say Yeah! Full Member

Aug 15, 2004
  3. Vanboxingfan

Vanboxingfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I use to think Holmes ud but Lewis was an extremely versatile fighter, with a reach and power advantage I think he would likely win but I'm not sure if it would by decision or TKO. And is jab wasn't all that pawing, (watch him stop 250lb Vitali dead in his tracks several times if you think it was a pawing jab)

I know that one of the things Jim Lampley use to say was that if Lewis threw more than 29 jabs a round he was pretty much unbeatable. Truthfully it might depend which Lewis we are talking about. The younger Lewis was far faster than the older Lewis, but was somewhat less balanced.

4. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Never really saw Lennox Lewis take on a master boxer with a nice blend of speed, stamina, durability, skill and power in the right hand... Larry had one of the best, if not THEE best jabs of all time to complement super human durability in the ring.. It's true he was vulnerable at times and against lesser opponents but the same could be said of the lion. I'm not 100% sold on picking either guy over the other, but I'm leaning towards Holmes by a decision.

5. Vanboxingfan

Feb 5, 2005
    As I think about it yet again, I lean more towards what you said, than what I said. Hard fight to call, but if it went the distance, which is the most likely outcome, I think you have to give the edge to Holmes.

6. slash

slash Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 15, 2012
  7. joebeadg

joebeadg Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    I was never all that impressed with lewis, I mean I think he was very good, but not great. I think Larry is in another class. Anything can happen though, but I think Larry by dec. or KO

8. Vanboxingfan

Feb 5, 2005
    I honestly can't imagine Holmes winning by KO. If there's a KO happening, I'm picking Lewis.

9. foreman&dempsey

foreman&dempsey Boxing Addict banned

Dec 7, 2015
  10. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
  11. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
  12. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I've always felt that Holmes wins this fantasy match up. Lewis was great but Holmes did everything just that bit better.
    Holmes was an all-round fighter; durable, with a crafty boxing brain, which could force a chess match. Add the variation in Holmes' jab (generally recognised as one of the best in history), combined with his ring awareness; sense of distance and timing, you have a formidable Lewis opponent, the likes of which Lennox would struggle to get to grips with - and I would bet against Lewis being able to win by KO.
    Holmes was teak tough and the better chess player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. timmers612

timmers612 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Lar Holmes wins this great match-up, the difference being he would keep pumping out his jab during Lewis down times.

14. Coco

Coco Member Full Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Lennox Lewis wins.

15. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    I think Holmes would approach this fight like the ****ey fight.

He'd move and box very carefully and be alert at all times.

Holmes by decision