Prime Larry Holmes vs. Tyson Fury

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BrainyBoxer, Oct 16, 2021.

Who wins?

Poll closed Nov 15, 2021.
  1. Larry Holmes

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. Tyson Fury

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. BrainyBoxer

BrainyBoxer Active Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Does Fury's awkward style cause Holmes issues like Michael Spinks? Or does Holmes outbox Fury

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I think Holmes wins a competitive fight with sharper punching.

3. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Holmes decision for me. The only thing Fury has on him is size. It's not enough. The longer the fight goes on the better Holmes sits.

4. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Larry by close decision. but man that is a tough match up for him

5. BrainyBoxer

BrainyBoxer Active Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2016
  6. BELLERS

BELLERS Active Member Full Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Holmes was a better version of Fury.
    Both very similar, Holmes jab gives him a unanimous decision in a chess match of a fight.

7. Rakesh

Rakesh Active Member Full Member

Jul 6, 2021
    Holmes stylistically is better h2h than Ali in my opinion.

Holmes by a sharp UD

8. Pugilist's Finest

Pugilist's Finest New Member Full Member

Dec 2, 2018
    Larry gets caught and it changes the outcome of this fight. Wlad was certainly gunshy when he fought Fury and was therefore outboxed. I see Larry trying to mix it up more than Wlad, but gets caught which makes Larry less aggressive. Fury UD 12.

9. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Holmes has huge trouble with Fury's size and jab...until he realizes Fury really just doesn't hit that hard. Larry becomes pinpoint and emboldened with the jab in 3, starts landing the overhand right again and again before 10.

By the end of the fight Fury's face is a swollen mask and he's been staggered badly several times by the overhand right. A clear UD for Holmes in 12.

If the fight goes over 12 the ref has mercy on the staggering Jethro Bodean figure of Fury in the 14th and stops it.

10. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
  11. Pugilist's Finest

Dec 2, 2018
    Fury certainly hits hard enough. All you have to do is watch the last punch of the last fight he had against a 6'7 240 lb. fighter. Keep in mind Larry was about 60 lbs. lighter when he was fighting. Let's use some logic here.

12. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    Yes, but Deontay's been floored before (and we'll include amateurs here).

Fury doesn't have the power of a Shavers or Weaver or Iron Mike...nowhere near. Hell, I seriously doubt he even hits as hard as Witherspoon.

That's pretty realistic imo, my friend.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  13. Pugilist's Finest

Dec 2, 2018
    In terms of overall impact I would say they are closer than you think. They just appear to be much bigger punchers because they delivered their punches quicker, but getting punched by a guy that is like half a dozen weight classes bigger than you should not be marginalized.

14. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    You'd have a very hard time convincing most people of Fury being anywhere near the puncher Shavers, Weaver, or Tyson was on this forum, my friend.

No offense meant.

15. Pugilist's Finest

Dec 2, 2018
    I mean I get the appeal of those guys because they all have sensational one-punch highlight reel knockdowns / knockouts that come out of nowhere. Fury is a little like Vitali in terms of a much bigger guy beating on smaller guys over several rounds until they are worn down. WK fought similar to LH by utilizing the jab, but he knew he was going to get countered by TF so he was very hesitant in engaging the right hand (because he was wobbled earlier) until the 12th when he knew he had to knock him out to win. Keep in mind Wladimir is also a lot bigger than Holmesy and he was fighting in a shell most of the fight.