Prime Matthew Saad Muhammad vs Dwight Muhammad qawi

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Devon, Jul 7, 2020.

1. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I think he'd have looked just as good in 81 had he been fighting Yates, Lopez or Conteh. It just so happens he wasn't, he was fighting Qawi.

2. Bujia

Bujia Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Yeah, if not for him showing major signs of decline over the course of the 4 fights prior to Qawi you’d have a point. Murray Sutherland certainly wasn’t on the level of the guys you mentioned, but that didn’t stop him from making Saad look like he was stuck in quicksand for 8 rounds.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    ETM likes this.
  3. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    It happens. Merrick Taylor had one hard fight and was never the same.
    Saad may not have been "shot" that is a specific condition but he certainly was shopworn. Not peak.

4. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    And this is the beauty of a subjective sport, your eyes tell you one thing, my eyes tell me another.

5. Rope-a-Dope

Rope-a-Dope Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Qawi always wins this one, but a slightly less shopworn Matthew would have made it a war.

6. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    How about after 5 years and 3 months Luf? Eric Winbush 11-6-0 smashed him in 3. Fair to say he was shot just 15 months after the first Qawi fight i think? Of course he took some punishment in those two fights but he'd had a bunch or wars prior.

Personally i think Saad was definitely on the way down and at the same time Qawi was a brilliant 175'er who was all sorts of wrong for him.

7. Bujia

Bujia Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    That’s not what you said, though. You said if he was facing the same the quality of fighter as Conteh, Lopez, and Kates he’d have looked the same. I assume Marvin Johnson falls into that category as well.

Do you think Murray Sutherland, Jerry Martin, Vonzell Johnson, and Lotti Mwale were on the same level as those guys? Because those were the 4 he faced prior to Qawi.

8. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Ahhh Bujia, Bujia, Bujia. Sometimes I enjoy your persistent approach to debating, particularly if it's something I feel passionate about (we've had many over the years, most recently I recall 70s Ali being one of them).

However, in this particular instance I must be totally honest with you, 70s/80s LHWs really isn't something I feel that strongly about.

Honestly, I can't even remember the last time I watched a fight featuring these guys. Probably back when I posted on the thread which was months ago if you check.

I'm gonna agree to disagree. It's only my compulsion to reply to messages that has brought me back here, I just don't care enough about it. If you think he's past prime, brilliant maybe you're right. I see it as an excuse, but I'm not strongly opinionated on this one I'm afraid.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Bujia likes this.
  9. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Yes, Saad was definitely past it imo. And I see the fight having been much more competitive with prime Saad stopping Qawi in the late rounds. Saad I think was one of the great light heavyweight punchers, and I think he would have lucked out late in the fight with a monster right and finished it shortly after.

Qawi to me wasn't the ATG Saad was, and I doubt he had anywhere near that level of heart.

Titan1, Bujia and George Crowcroft like this.