Prime Mike Tyson ('88.) VS Prime George Foreman ('73.)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ikrasevic, Dec 24, 2021.

Who wins ?

Poll closed Aug 9, 2022.
  1. George

58.1%
  2. Mike

41.9%
  1. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    Old man Foreman could do the smothering that Holyfield did so effectively, maybe even more effectively. He's bigger and much stronger than Holyfield. Combine that with as much pushing as he can get away with, and work on consistently landing hard shots.

I think old George could do it.

rinsj and ETM like this.
  2. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    The same Foreman who said he'd KO Tyson in 2 rounds?

3. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    Did he say this before he switched over to complimenting everyone excessively?

I love Foreman, but once he got nice, he got too nice, like you have to take anything he says about another fighter with a mountain of salt.

Barm, TheArchitect and Sangria like this.
  4. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Yup, exactly. He swung from one extreme to the other overly praising every opponent. Even guys he never fought.

He said he would KO Tyson on the Letterman show shortly after the Cooney win.

1:01

This content is protected

"I want this Mike Tyson. I will assure you I will do it in the same fashion, 1 or 2 rounds".

He even jokes that Don Kings contract scared him more than Tyson did and suggests that Tyson doesn't really want the fight. He is on record in multiple interviews claiming that actually.

Then of course towards the end of the 90's, Foreman has to exaggerate everything. Saying ridiculous things like he was so terrified of Frazier his legs were shaking...yet we see him glaring at Frazier during the refs instructions and was so confident after knocking Frazier down, he laid on the ropes with his arms across them chilling with a bored expression. He claims he was so shocked and intimidated by Fury and Wilders punches he hid behind his couch.

Whatever you say George. :lol:

5. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Complete opposite my man.

Foreman's skills have become underrated because he's scored so many knockouts by swinging for the fences. To the naked eye it doesn't look like he's doing much else but connecting with all his might. Other factors are involved like setting up shots, forcing opponents into the right direction, setting traps, etc.

Now, watching Tyson score knockouts is a whole other matter. To the naked eye we see him setting up shots and combinations with better technique than Foreman. The uppercut body/head combo that Sugar Ray Leonard described as a kind of "bolo punch", a jumping left hook, overhand right, great balance, moving them feet etc.

While Foreman doesn't get the credit he deserves for his offensive arsenal (he has been caught using plaster of paris on his wraps...paying attention?), it seems obvious Tyson has a bigger variety of offensive weapons stemming from a giant box of tools to play with.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  6. Money22

Money22 New Member banned Full Member

Mar 20, 2022
    Well since your using that dumb quote what mike does when pushed where he fought best he waits counters repeats dumb question

moneytheman likes this.
  7. Money22

Mar 20, 2022
    Its not moronic its crazy you use the right word though think cause nobody ever who said or says George sees him fighting like lennox who wasnt slow easy to read no defense

George was the opposite of those things

moneytheman likes this.
  8. Money22

Mar 20, 2022
    Wrong george didn't have these which only beat Mike
    A average or fast hand speed
    Good defense
    Able to keep range
    Able to take hard shots he wasnt that tough for them shown by ron

moneytheman likes this.
  9. Money22

Mar 20, 2022
    Yea a early finish for mike you meant good joke by saying a style that never beat Mike slow and easy to read

moneytheman likes this.
  10. Money22

Mar 20, 2022
    No its no chance for george to slow and easy to read

moneytheman likes this.
  11. Money22

Mar 20, 2022
    Well that dumb quote is just that a dumb quote thats been exposed years ago why your repeating it beyond me

Pushing mike is no good he fought best from there he was pushed by others and he waited and countered they were to slow and easy to read so no pushing is a no

For george to beat Mike he has to fight like a lennox fight from distance
    Be able to stop from being hit alot
    Able to take hard shots george wasn't tough to them shown by Ron
    More speed to his punches
    George had none of this so explain again how george wins

moneytheman likes this.
  12. Money22

Mar 20, 2022
    Good breakdown legend but I would still say with the old George still would lose just way to slow and easy to read he is a tougher match though which I always knew

What is odd to me is why these odd people say young george beats mike when he obviously would be mismatched these flaws you left out

To slow
    Comes ahead with no defense
    Pushing to much which leaves does him no good to push mike where he fought best from

To easy to read
    Likes to waste punches

Why is this young george with this many flaws picked to beat Mike he wouldnt hit him much let alone beat him its obvious he wouldnt nobody with this many flaws came close to beating mike why would george doesnt make sense

moneytheman likes this.
  13. ikrasevic

ikrasevic For the honorable cross and the golden freedom Full Member

Nov 3, 2021
    Tyson - Tucker - Foreman discussion. Without "triangle theory", if possible.

14. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
  15. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    I think he does. It would be fought at a surprisingly measured pace with Foreman fighting off the back foot.