Prime Riddick Bowe vs. Tyson Fury

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Boxlight, Apr 12, 2020.

who wins

1. Bowe by points

6 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. Bowe by TKO/KO

23 vote(s)
    29.1%
  3. Fury by points

40 vote(s)
    50.6%
  4. Fury by TKO/KO

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Bowe's hugely overhyped IMO. It's a real shame we never got to see Lewis give him the absolute business.

BCS8 and roughdiamond like this.
  2. Sugar 88

Feb 4, 2012
    @roughdiamond as much as I think Bowe was overhyped can you imagine how badly Wilder fans would be slobbering all over Bowe if he were around now? I'm not sure I'd be able to read any of their posts without vomiting.

roughdiamond likes this.
  3. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Bowe was actually skilled though. He only suffers because he was static stylistically, meaning he would struggle against bigger fighters, and was a lazy lazy guy.

Thinking about the fanboyism classic fighters would have here if around today does make me sick, though.

The Real Lance and Sugar 88 like this.
  4. Sugar 88

Feb 4, 2012
    I dread to think of the mental gymnastics Dubblechin would need to undertake to justify the binning of the belt.

roughdiamond likes this.
  5. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    We should tell him there are better ways to brain train.

Sugar 88 likes this.
  6. Yaiyr Alexander

Yaiyr Alexander Member banned Full Member

Sep 3, 2020
    Does fury have enough fire power to keep bowe off of him ? Make no mistake bowe isnt wladimir, he wont throw 2 punches per round or do any jab for jab BS the entire fight he'd attack fury will full force. Fury has BY FAR better movement but when a fighter gets agressive and gets in the pocket with him, he doesn't fight them off, he clinches. Its an obvious weakness for bowe to exploit as he'd try to go to work on the inside when that happens. Wilder and wlad couldn't do it because they're terrible inside fighters and chisora was too short to take control of the clinches

Fury beating down wilder was damn good and i cant lie, but fury beat down an overrated technically limited fighter who can only throw a right hand. Styles make fights and id actually favor bowe to beat fury over someone like Ali because of this.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    reckless and Abysswalker like this.
  7. Contro

Contro Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 7, 2016
    OK let's disregard the golota fights where he was technically completely out skilled.

An old, shot Tubbs out boxed him. Lost a iffy decision.

A shot, non-puncher Tyrrell Biggs made him do the chicken dance and fought him on even terms until his body that was already wrecked by drugs and a savage beating by Tyson, gave out.

I'm honestly lead to believe 205 lb, recklessly aggressive holyfield might have just been a good style match up for bowe because they matched him very soft outside of that, his "prime" was one fight and before and after that he never looked impressive. No top puncher in his Resumee in an Era full of top punchers.
    Ruddock Morrison Mercer Lewis Tyson Bruno Foreman Moorer all of them fought ATLEAST one of the other big punchers.

Fury beats him without too much problems. He does everything that Tubbs and Biggs did well just as good if not better.
    Fury has more top wins and most importantly those were against 2 completely different styles and with 2 completely different approaches showing versatility at top level.

Then you add the 30lbs and 3 inches disadvantage on top of that which Bowe never had to deal with and I don't think it's even close

8. Yaiyr Alexander

Yaiyr Alexander Member banned Full Member

Sep 3, 2020
    Fury isnt as powerful as tyrell biggs and isn't a good brawler/powerpuncher in general and isnt able to produce much power unless he's on the front foot. fury wouldn't risk going on the front foot and swapping hands in the pocket from time to time at all against bowe like tyrell biggs did. he'd get destroyed.

And lets forget when fury was picking himself up off the canvas against cunningham and pijkic or when wallin rocked fury with a left hand in the 12th round or when fury was clinching for dear life against old wlad in the 12th when wlad landed 2 punches and everytime chisora got on the inside. If fury beats joshua convincingly ill favor him to beat bowe. That being said i do think bowe is pretty overrated. He only has a few good wins. But the exact same thing can be said for fury.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  9. snake33

snake33 Active Member Full Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Fury would win but it wouldn't happen because Bowe would throw his belt in the garbage.
    The only reason Bowe fought Holyfield is because he was a lot smaller.
    Bowe was chicken bleep.

10. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Active Member banned Full Member

Nov 8, 2020
    fury would get destroyed. it would be like vengeance straight out of the bible. the likes of which no one has ever seen before or ever will again

11. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Bowe was the ONLY man who almost stopped a prime Holyfield and stopped him face down in the third............something Lennox Lews and Tyson could not do even when Holy was on the slide. fact.

Chin ? Bowe was never ko'ed. fact. Even shot to shid Golata could not put him away and made Golata quit twice....vs Fury who hits the canvas on a regular base

Resume ? he has one razor thin loss on his record ...without the fan man, Bowe is 3-0 against Holy

Bowe beat the undefeated undisputed prime Holyfield.......vs Fury who walzed with shot stone old WK in one of the most boring fights EVER, refused a re match and went hiding.

Everybody on Furys resume gets beaten by a prime Bowe like a rented Mule, especially local club fighter Chisora, it would be ugly, the uppercuts would send Chisoras head into the 17th row.

Bowe was and is the best Big Heavy infighter ever, uppercuts, short hooks and tremendous body work, fought 3 min a round and never gassed.

Prime Holyfield is leaps and bounds above the glass chinned timid old WK who was stopped three times in his prime by absolute ham and eggers.

According to this board Wilder is a total bum, so Fury aint getting any credit beating a bum but still had to get off the canvas twice and needed a lenient ref to get it done..............then we have shot WK, who like his brother is known more for his losses then wins.

Fury would never come after Bowe , he would get on his bike duplicating the WK fight except Bowe will walk him down , match him jab for jab, is not afraid to get hit while pounding Fury up and down stairs plus Bowe is dirty as hell on the inside too.....up close Fury is no match for Bowe

Best case for Fury is a similar UD loss by running without engaging a la Larry Donald or worst case once he gets brave and sloppy as he always gets deep into the fight and decides to fight and gets stopped, Bowe will not let him off the hook, the bigger they are the harder they fall and there is a awful lot of target on Fury.

Riddick" Big daddy" Bowe with Eddie Futch in his corner will have Furys number, no doubt.

RacingBeat and Reinhardt like this.
  12. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Fury took 7 rounds to TKO Wilder and Fury was demolishing him and had no punches coming back at him. I don't think he'd TKO Bowe. Bowe is way better on the inside than anyone Fury's fought anyway.

If Fury wins it would probably be his hardest fight honestly. Bowe was pretty good at pressuring and was cutting of the ring in spots against Larry Donald and that man was just running around the place jabbing

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Reinhardt, reckless and Somali Sanil like this.
  13. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Tbh, I know Bowe like the back of my hand and I’ve sold him short on this. I can’t think of a better Big man on the inside, he had a wicked jab also. Yes, it’s a very hard fight for Tyson, an one he could lose. At his very best, Bowe had everything to beat the best heavies ever or run them close, but his prime and consistency was one of the shortest I can think of also. A h2h monster prime

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  14. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    If i remember correctly he was supposed to fight Ray Mercer but it fell apart and it wasn't Bowes fault. He also avoided Lewis but hey its Lewis, Joshua and Fury would probably avoid him like the plague. Holyfield himself has alot to say about Bowes jab and his skills. His resume is kind of thin but he was a monster, he just didn't fight enough.

Im not one to make excuses but he didn't look like himself technically wise against Golota. Not only was he overweight at 252lb but he started slurring his words before then. And in the second fight it was clear he received even more brain damage from the first fight even though he slimmed down to 235 so he looked just as bad

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Somali Sanil likes this.
  15. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Yeah Bowe was a shadow of the man that gave prime Holy a beating against Golota