Prime Riddick Bowe vs. Tyson Fury

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Boxlight, Apr 12, 2020.

who wins

1. Bowe by points

6 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. Bowe by TKO/KO

23 vote(s)
    29.1%
  3. Fury by points

40 vote(s)
    50.6%
  4. Fury by TKO/KO

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Fury didn't have the punching power to batter 1992 Bowe, who actually had a pretty solid chin, but more...a big heart. I see Fury mostly running and being cute while Bowe comes in the almost constant aggressor and landing by far the more telling shots. Fury gets knocked down and possibly out in the 9th or 10th and Bowe wins at the least by UD.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  2. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I think 273lb is gonna hurt if thrown with conviction. He’s not a 1 punch or even a strong puncher normally, but once he puts his weight in to them, they do damage, he has to change his style to hurt you and he did in the rematch. He punches hard enough when he bites down for it to be a problem if he lands consistently. Wilder took a beating, they weren’t weak punches

3. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    Interesting fight, Bowe has the better two wins but he also got manhandled twice by a mental midget (Golota) .. imagine what Fury would do! Evander is an ATG but he wasn't a big HW & Bowe was able to impose his size on him , Fury is a mover too .. he's a very tricky fight for anyone imo .. bit of a freak really.. I'd say Fury personally but Bowe was excellent too.

4. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    I have a hard time believing a world-class heavyweight is shot in his late 20s and only seven years into his pro career.. of course there are all sorts of extenuating circumstances etc but all fighters have those.. is any fight ever perfect? I think some fighters can just maintain excellence some just have it sporadically. Bowe was the latter. Golota battered him. If anyone shouldn't have been in a ring it's Golota lol he's a spastic.. I mean who has somebody's number like that yet still throws it away :lol:

5. reckless

reckless Active Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Bowe relied on his size a lot and he wasn't a big puncher either. I lost count of how many clean shots he landed on Holyfield in the first fight and they didn't seem to effect Holyfield much at all.

When he fought the similarly sized Golota he took one hell of a beating.

6. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    It wasn't Golotas size. Bowe brutalized undefeated 6'7, 237lb Gonzalez with ease to the point where Gonzalez never recovered.
    It's because Bowe came in 10 or 12 pounds overweight compared to his 3rd fight with Holyfield. He looked pretty fat, sluggish amd uncoordinated in first fight and probably received brain damage from that ass whoopin which is why he didn't look any better in the second fight despite slimming down.

Also Holyfield had a pretty good chin, he rates Bowe second to Foreman in punching power. Bowe wasn't like Lewis or Rudduck puncher but he had heavy hands and his inside game definitely helped too

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  7. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Great points, and it stands to reason that Bowe also was past it when he beat Rodriquez.

1992 Bowe was a good boxer...not good enough to not get hit a lot, but certainly better than average..and a top notch puncher with good hand speed. He was also a far better finisher than Wilder. I don't think Fury could have beat him on his best day.

uppakut and MarkusFlorez99 like this.
  8. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Fury by decision in a good fight, I think Bowe at his best would have given Fury some issues.

Bowie is seriously underrated and a lot of the time ignored, he was a very good Heavyweight and was in some great fights.

I think the belt in the him stuff and him not fighting Lewis really overshadows him, it's quite sad to be honest.

9. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Good points are being made by both sides here,, but at his one fight best I'd take Bowe by SD. Fury ain't knocking out Bowe and I believe Bowe can get this into a close quarters fight where he can do damage. Fury beat Wlad in a horrible fight, he drew with Wilder in their first encounter in what was a low action fight where he was nailed late. His stoppage of Wilder was one sided, I just haven't seen Fury in the kind of tussle that Bowe has been in and won.

uppakut likes this.
  10. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
  11. kostya by ko

kostya by ko Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2005
    ... for the prestigious Wasted Legacy belt.

12. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    It was a factor vs Holyfield for sure. It is why he won those fights.