Prime Rocky Marciano vs Prime Earnie Shavers

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Is it redundant to say Shavers has a puncher's chance here..?

I pick Marciano because he had better durability and better stamina. Shavers would naturally be a huge danger in the early rounds so if he landed one of his bombs on Marciano's chin it could be good night.

Shavers was a devastating one punch hitter but not as great a finisher as he might have been against top quality opposition. I see Marciano, like Holmes and Ali, being able to somehow weather the storm even if he was hurt, and then battle back before flattening an exhausted Shavers around the 5th round.

young griffo likes this.
  2. West of Hollywood

West of Hollywood Active Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Somewhat unrelated comment but I really believe the version of Jersey Joe Walcott who fought Marciano the first time could get rid of Shavers in one or two rounds.

3. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Here's the pivotal question - Do you think the 160 pound version of Toney would have been able to take the heavyweight punches as well as the 230 pound version?

4. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    You was putting a limitation on my original point that I hadn't stipulated. I never once said a fighter can gain weight but not on their neck muscles, that's a limitation you set.

If a fighter does nothing else other than get fatter I assume it won't help them much at all, but if a fighter bulks sensibly, of course their durability improves.

As I said Guillermo Jones was knocked out at 154, the 200 pound behemoth who campaigned at CW would not have been knocked out by the 154 fighter. I'm sure even you can see that.

5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Okay lets put this this to bed once and for all because you are being wilfully obtuse here.
    Morales was a past prime 35 years old fighter the only reason he had jumped in weight was because of age and inactivity I know it and you know it .Totally different scenario.
    I usually enjoy your posts but these last few have been puerile and childish. No further engagement from me here continue mugging yourself with other posters who have more time to spend on your nonsense!

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  6. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Crass stupidity!

Colonel Sanders likes this.
  7. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    He is being deliberately stupid I'm out.No time to waste on idiots!

8. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Yes when you said

"As far as punches to the head are concerned, how could any weight gain that does not directly concern the neck muscles enhance one's ability to take a punch in the jaw ?"

I thought you was putting an unfair limitation on the notion of increasing weight

Jones and Toney are two supreme examples of improved durability with improved mass.

Colonel Sanders likes this.
  9. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Shavers broke his hand early vs stander by punching him in the forehead.

ABC logic doesnt really work with durability and chin. Bonavena ate Frazier's shots all night in 2 fights without going down but the skinny jimmy ellis dropped bonavena and we know for a fact ellis doesnt hit as hard as Frazier.

mcvey and Colonel Sanders like this.
  10. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Shavers has a punchers chance against anybody!!

11. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Walcott was a more accurate puncher. But supposing Shavers landed flush, yes I would

mcvey likes this.
  12. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    In my universe Marciano was a defensive wizard and Jess Willard would bludgeon a young Mike Tyson to the canvas in 1

13. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Your universe ain't the kind of place to raise your kids
    In fact it's cold as hell
    And there's no one there to raise them if you did

mcvey and InMemoryofJakeLamotta like this.
  14. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    And you didn't invite me.....I'm wounded

mcvey likes this.
  15. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Shavers isn't clever enough to pose a threat to Marciano. Walcott and Moore were able to connect and drop Marciano because they happen to be very clever fighters and were very good a sneaking their shots in. Shavers despite having a great punch was one dimensional and easy to figure out. Quarry quickly figured out that Shavers needed space to setup his right hand, but Quarry wouldn't give Shavers the space he needed, which effectively neutralized Shavers's right hand. Quarry then preceded to destroy Shavers with punch volume and work-rate that wore Shavers out. This all happened in one round.

Quarry destroying Shavers
    This content is protected

Every time Shavers tries to setup the right hand Quarry either effectively counters him or easily slips the punch.

Shavers dropping Holmes
    This content is protected

Holmes makes a textbook mistake here. As Shavers puts the left out to measure he finds he's in perfect range and he quickly fires the right hand while Holmes tried to counter Shavers with an uppercut as Shavers is coming in, but the right hand is always going to beat the uppercut. This results in Holmes taking the right hand flush and dropping like a sack of potatoes. I remember Marvis Frazier also rocking Broad with a right hand when Broad made the same mistake that Holmes made against Shavers, but luckily for Broad Frazier couldn't punch like Shavers.