Prime Roy Jones Jr. vs. Artur Beterbiev.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by VG_Addict, Dec 23, 2021.

1. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    You said that I’d somehow implied that Roy had a better chin than Artur. I don’t know how you came to that conclusion. So yes, you’re very defensive. But you’re a big fan, so it’s all good.

I never said that Artur was just strong. He also possesses great technical skills.

You asked me if he could have beaten all of Roy’s opponents. I said that you’d have to assume so, but there might be some surprises, depending on how he’d have matched up stylistically.

That’s my honest opinion.

Styles make fights.

Roy easily beat John Ruiz.

You think that Artur would beat Roy.

That’s cool. However, it doesn’t mean that Artur could have beaten Ruiz.

Again, I think that it would have been a very tough fight for Artur. He’s the better P4P fighter, with the better skills. But a 230 pound HW with height and reach could have given him a very tough fight.

Again, maybe a separate thread may be of interest.

I’d like to read the opinions of our other members on this match up.

2. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    I’ve created a new thread.

Check it out.

It may be of interest.

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  3. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    I’ve started a thread.

Check it out.

4. Joe-fist

Joe-fist Wise men fear nothing Full Member

Aug 24, 2021
    Maybe alots of Posters(on this forum) would say im a ¨self-proclaimed expert¨ after saying this but anyway here it is:I may be the best expert on the planet about Beterbiev capability's except of course his teams.Because,ive seen all his fights,his interviews(english-french too) and post fight interviews(majority in french except him ie only some words but he's getting better) except in russian of course,ive read all about him too(english-french) and there alots of interviews in french with his coach(Marc Ramsay).But still it's very infuriating to read and heard people underate him(around the internet and the so-called experts on TV(about him of course) downgrading likes he's nothing(forget he's a decorated amateur,won silver at the olympic etc... compare to boxers who is more popular or have more fights than him or get hype more or get better promote(more money behind them) or get more exposure than him(major TV behind because they're American or Englishman(UK).It's unfair and unjust,just because he' Russian perhaps(Russia vs USA ,i mean capitalist vs commies)? i don't really know...or maybe because he live in Montréal?(French Canadians get alots of hate from:well even own anglo-canadians countryman,Americans(not all im not stupid btw but alots of casual who don't come in Montréal),(UK (Billy Sauders said he dislike french canadians) and lastly...France who laugh because of our accent(what a bunch of pussies anyway in boxing).
    Sorry for the Meltdown buddy and posters who read it all,have to get out all the frustrations of my system lol im ok mentally btw.

Loudon and Jackman65 like this.
  5. ARMAGEDDON

ARMAGEDDON Member Full Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Lol what in the world does what you just said have to do with anything?? You said when his reflexes slowed down were talking about prime Roy jones his reflexes didnt slow down in his prime lol. That's like saying once Usain bolt legs slowed down he started losing all kind of races lmao wth dude prime PRIME

Loudon likes this.
  6. Aussie Invader

Aussie Invader Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jan 5, 2017
    roy jones is like steve smith in cricket.
    the rule book on how to box/bat just doesn't apply to them because they are just so insanely gifted that it doesn't matter.
    you can't teach what roy jones and steve smith can do.

7. ad4m88

ad4m88 Active Member Full Member

May 7, 2016
    People just love to glorify old fighters compared to new fighters

deyell and Joe-fist like this.
  8. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    "Beterbiev would beat Ruiz".

Now I've heard everything.

Ruiz might have been a weak puncher for HW, but he still hit MUCH harder than the vast majority of LHWs. I don't think people understand how hard HWs hit compared to every other weight class.

MarkusFlorez99 and Loudon like this.
  9. Joe-fist

Aug 24, 2021
    Good point mate,When you say people,you mean old of course and these old people influence younger people by saying:back then or in my time they're were better fighters...like we can compare or see easily that lol anyway it's NEVER GONNA HAPPEN SO WHY BOTHER IN THE FIRST PLACE OR DOING THE EXERCISE!

10. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    People want to dog on Ruiz, but he was NOT an easy night for any of the HW's back then, other than RJJ and Tua who blasted him out.

11. deyell

deyell MOLECULE FROM HELL. Full Member

Aug 10, 2015
    They also love to overrate old fighters, especially those ones that retired early and had a "what if" type of career like Valero and McClellan.

Pepsi Dioxide likes this.
  12. Joe-fist

Aug 24, 2021
    I don't understand people like you...who are saying that Ruiz hit much harder than the vast majority if not all lhw,i don't say that or even claim that im sure 100% he hit harder than AB! I will repeat myself again...then explain me why with good logic this time that Roy who hit far lighter than him have beat him with ease? does that mean you don't have to hit harder than him to beat him? of course roy beat him THAT'S THE PROOF! It's like saying Usyk can't beat anyone at heavyweight beacause he have no power,he's just a cruiser...im out.

13. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    I like your passion.

From my perspective, again, I just can’t rate him as highly as what you do, as I’ve just not seen enough of him.

I’m not as knowledgeable on him as what you and Serge are. Maybe if I was, I’d rate him higher. But at the end of the day, however great he is and however great he was an an amateur, he’s still only had 17 professional fights. So I can only judge him on that.

Like I said yesterday, I just hope that he can get some great fights in before he retires.

Hopefully, 2022 will be a great year for him.

I’d absolutely love to see him fight Canelo at some point.

Joe-fist likes this.
  14. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Some people will do that.

15. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Again, Roy beat Ruiz with ease, due to his incredible speed and his unorthodox style.

AB could not fight Ruiz in the same way.

Even if you’re absolutely certain that AB would have beaten Roy, Ruiz would always have been a harder opponent for AB, than what he was for Roy.

It’s just how they’d have matched up stylistically.