Prime Roy Jones Jr. vs. Artur Beterbiev.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by VG_Addict, Dec 23, 2021.

1. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    And Artur does not flash his pearly whites to the camera, He had his Benjamin Button fast forward vaccine, Lol.

Serge likes this.
  2. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    This content is protected

Stephen ''Breadman'' Edwards

''Artur Beterbiev is Jason Vorhees. You know he’s a killer, but he seems a little slow. You know he’s a killer but you can hit him, blow him up, burn him. He seems sort of human. But you never get away from him. He’s always on you, chopping away. I didn’t think he was having his best night. I thought the odds were too big. I thought they should have been +300. But let me tell you what Beterbiev showed. He showed how ELITE he is. He showed what an ELITE fighter does when they are not having their best night. It’s truly what separates the levels.

Marcus Browne is strong, athletic, experienced, he has size and pedigree. But Beterbiev has a switch at the top level that Browne has not shown thusfar. He was able to close distance, make Browne uncomfortable, make Browne lose his bearings and eventually score a stoppage. That was a nice win because Browne came in great shape and he wanted the win.

The one thing in boxing we don’t usually consider is that boxers are human. They don’t have their 100% best stuff on every night. It’s why when a fighter goes 128-1-2 like Sugar Ray Robinson did, he’s basically the GOAT because the people who know, know. They know it’s not easy to be that good night in and night out. It’s also why losses are harder in this era because fighters fight so infrequent. Beterbiev only has 17 pro fights…..This is not the 1st time I’ve seen Beterbiev not have his A+ game. But every single time he comes through with a KO. I think we are watching a GREAT fighter. Maybe not an ATG yet. But he operates on a special level. And I can’t think of 10-12 better fighters in boxing.

Because of Beterbiev’s age and Browne’s athleticism, this was a good chance for Browne to score the upset. But by round 6, Beterbiev had him. When the slower, pressure fighter, has things figured out that early even after a poor start and a bad cut, that’s very telling. It tells me Beterbiev can BOX better than it looks like he can box. He has the ability to land punches that go unnoticed. I was impressed because I know Browne was determined to win. Beterbiev discouraged a determined fighter who really NEEDED the win for his future and legacy. This was Browne’s 1st title shot. The other shots were REGULAR titles. Browne didn’t take this fight to lay down. I don’t think Beterbiev lacks motivation. I think when you get a slow twitch athlete who is ageing and gets older, it takes them longer to warm up. But boy oh boy, once he gets rolling''

Loudon and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  3. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    Speed will get a light heavyweight killed against Artur Beterbiev.

UniversalPart and Serge like this.
  4. ad4m88

ad4m88 Active Member Full Member

May 7, 2016
    Was Jones at light heavy really that great what would be considered his best win?

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  5. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    Personally, his knockout of Virgil Hill.

Loudon and Serge like this.
  6. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    See how he feints to create the opening for that beautiful body shot for the first KD?

His body shots sound like the body shots of a HW

7. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    :lol:

8. ad4m88

ad4m88 Active Member Full Member

May 7, 2016
    Ah yes koing a fighter who had just lost his belts Jones should of fought michalczewski after he beat hill

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  9. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    So true.

10. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    And on top of everything else he is one of the nicest, most humble fighters in the sport

And he's pretty funny too

He enjoys a bit of sarcasm

It's a damn shame how his career has been handled and the absolutely rotten luck he's been blighted with

11. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Poor Marcus Browne probably thinking "what the hell just hit me???"

12. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch after Browne basically blanking him and refusing to shake his hand or congratulate him when Artur went over to him not once but twice after the fight. That really annoyed me. Browne wouldn't have made it past the 4th round at best a few years ago but he was able to receive 9 rounds of punishment against this slowed down version but I think he deserved a few more rounds of it for that needless disrespect.

UniversalPart likes this.
  13. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    You’ve not just highlighted his flaws though. You’ve gone way overboard, just like when you were trashing Sweet Pea in the other thread.

14. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Luis Fernando,

Part 1:

This is funny.

You initially told me that Roy didn’t throw combinations. You then said that you’d mixed him up with Floyd. Yet Floyd also threw great combinations when he was younger.

Look, we both know that you’re going to argue against whatever I write. Ha! Roy showed EXCELLENT in-fighting skills against Jeff Lacy. He threw great combinations to the head and body. Look at what you’ve said. At first you said that Roy didn’t and couldn’t in-fight. But you’re now agreeing that he did, but that it wasn’t impressive to you. So all you’re going to do is move the goal posts and argue.

Roy had no respect for Vinny’s power, so he was happy to block and to cover up. But hardly any of the shots got through.

Of course you’re selling him short. How many guys have you seen manoeuvre themselves into just an inch of space, before then firing rapid fire combinations to the head and body, which included double body shots and double uppercuts etc? How is that not impressive? How can that be rudimentary?

He didn’t tend to throw power shots from close range like that, no. He had a different style. It didn’t mean that he didn’t have the capabilities to do so though.

Yes, they’d be more prepared in a close up fight. But again, Loma didn’t have the mix of speed and power that Roy possessed.

Again, none of this even interests me at all. I’m only debating out of politeness. I told you the only reason why I initially replied, is that you said that Roy would be butchered, despite possessing the same offensive attributes as what these guys did. Okay, Roy might not have been able to in-fight as well as those in MMA. But then he had the hand speed that even Usyk doesn’t possess, and again, the P4P power than Loma doesn’t possess. Now if you hadn’t have wrote what you did, I wouldn’t even have bothered responding to you. I have no interest in a hypothetical MMA debate. Again, I don’t think any of them would do that great.

No, he didn’t bounce about like Loma. And?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  15. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Luis Fernando,

Part 2:

Roy had immense technical skills. Punch variation, punch technique, leverage, accuracy and timing is all skill based. He just had an unorthodox style that went hand in hand with his great athleticism. In a perfect world, he’d have retired at around 32/33. He didn’t have a style built for longevity, as he dealt in split second timing with his style and his reflexes. It doesn’t mean that he wasn’t as skilled as them. He was just skilled in a different way. Knocking someone out with a 6 punch combination whilst walking forwards is off the charts in terms of skills. He wasn’t just an athlete. It took huge skills in order to execute the things that he did.

Roy Snr knew that Roy lacked fundamentals. He knew that he had holes in his game. He knew that he made mistakes that other fighters couldn’t. He didn’t even jab in 90% of his fights. Roy’s style was simply unique. He threw lead shots. He evaded punches like Ali did, who was also unconventional. If Roy had developed another style, he wouldn’t have been the Roy we saw. Sure, he’d probably have had better longevity. But it’s all open to debate. But when they started out together as father and son, neither of them could ever have imagined Roy fighting in his mid 30’s with the same style. Roy Snr thought that he’d be done early. A phenom who came and shocked everyone before getting out at the right time. Roy always used to tell us that he’d be done early. But he couldn’t give up the thing he loved to do. And it’s hard to change your style when you’ve had it all of your life and you’re still having success from it and living in the moment. With hindsight, he should either have retired after the Ruiz fight or changed his style to compensate for his age. But he did neither and paid a heavy price.

I could envisage Artur hurting Roy and stopping him. He’s a great fighter. But I would have made Roy the favourite based upon his speed and his unorthodox style.

I have no issue with you saying that you think that Roy would get destroyed in MMA etc. Again, the only issue that I had, was that you said that Roy would get butchered, but that Loma, Usyk and Manny wouldn’t, as they had great speed, and great power and great combinations, which all came from different angles. Yet that is basically what Roy was famed for. Okay, again, he may not have had their in-fighting abilities, but his overall offence was just as good if not better. Again, he was faster than Usyk. He had more P4P power than Loma. And he was more 2 handed than what Manny was, where he used a bigger repertoire of shots. So his overall offence in MMA striking would definitely be on their level. He had the speed, the technique, the variation, the power, the timing, the accuracy and the reflexes to match all of those guys.

Now I really appreciate the effort that you’ve gone into here, and because of that, I felt as though I needed to show you respect by responding to your points. But honestly, I have no desire to discuss any hypothetical MMA fights any further. But thank you for the videos that you provided, as they were very enjoyable what I’d not seen before.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021