Prime Roy Jones Jr. vs. Artur Beterbiev.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by VG_Addict, Dec 23, 2021.

1. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Thanks

Sorry to hear that. I hope things change for you in that regard ASAP

Loudon and Joe-fist like this.
  2. Jackman65

Jackman65 FJB Full Member

Aug 31, 2019
    These guys seem to have amnesia when it comes to this fight. Beterbiev would have buried Johnson, the guy who gave Roy a beating. Styles make fights and I think AB would have gotten to Roy eventually.

Everyone acts like fights among top fighters are so predictable. Before the Usyk fight so many clown pretend experts were so certain Usyk was much too small and had no power to hold off the giant AJ. The same guys were quick to call AJ a bum afterwards.

I hate these hypothetical matchups because there is no definitive answer. It’s bad enough that we have so many guys cherry picking and ducking in actual boxing, active fighters who have never faced the best guys at their own weight. We don’t need to cook up historical matchups to argue. I hope Tank Davis fights an ax to Al legit opponent in ‘22 and that Crawford/Spence finally decide to give fans what they want.

In a sport where active fighters have no plans to fight their top rival, it’s funny they we have to cook up hypothetical matchups as a recipe for insults and arguments.

3. Jason Gordon

Jason Gordon Active Member banned Full Member

Sep 26, 2021
    The irony

4. chacal

chacal F*** the new normal Full Member

Jun 21, 2015
    I find really funny how you guys talk as if the RJJ who fought glen johnson were prime RJJ.:nusenuse:

5. Jackman65

Aug 31, 2019
    Yeah and I like how YOU guys pretend Beterbiev isn’t OLDER than Roy was when Roy lost to Glen Johnson and Tarver. Only Roy is allowed to get old but Beterbiev is prime at 37? If Beterbiev loses to Canelo when he’s 40, he’s PRIME as far as YOU guys are concerned. Right?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    Joe-fist and lepinthehood like this.
  6. chacal

Jun 21, 2015
    Lol I dont pretend ****, I say that prime RJJ would totally destroy flat footed simple boxing beterbiev any moment any time any age.

7. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    I don't know if you know this, but fighters age differently.

Loudon likes this.
  8. Jackman65

Aug 31, 2019
    Bu, but Roy ain’t prime doe. I was addressing your specific comment dumbass.

9. chacal

Jun 21, 2015
    People use to forget how RJJ was. Go youtube and rewatch any prime RJJ fight before posting BS, please.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  10. chacal

Jun 21, 2015
    What the **** are you taling about? we talk about prime RJJ, you talk about glen jhonson. I tell you glen jhonson's RJJ is not prime RJJ.

PERIOD.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  11. Jackman65

Aug 31, 2019
    Really? Thanks for your insights Einstein. Beterbiev is obviously slowing down but he ain’t declining according to the “experts” on this site.. That privilege is reserved for guys like Jones. If Canelo beats 40 year old AB, the same guys saying RJJ was shot against Tarver and Johnson will be declaring AB “PRIME”. Canelo only beats prime fighters like Kov. Kov wasn’t shot at all, right?

12. Jackman65

Aug 31, 2019
    Yep, and the Beterbiev soon celebrating his 37th birthday isn’t prime either. Jones wasn’t prime when he lost to Johnson. At LH, prime vs prime, this would have been a great fight.

Joe-fist likes this.
  13. Joe-fist

Joe-fist Wise men fear nothing Full Member

Aug 24, 2021
    WOW mate you just KO him with so little lol one punch knock out!

Jackman65 likes this.
  14. Joe-fist

Joe-fist Wise men fear nothing Full Member

Aug 24, 2021
    Roy In 1999 he became the undisputed light heavyweight champion by unifying the WBA, WBC, and IBF titles. So he was 30 because he was born in 1969.So Roy(30) vs Artur(30) with the same number of fight,let's say 15 fights...who wins?

Jackman65 likes this.
  15. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    fcb1068,

I think that Roy would have been elusive enough to have avoided Artur’s attacks. And again, I think he’d have had huge respect for Artur’s renowned strength and power going into the fight. He’d have done his homework.

Saying that Roy would have accepted a defeat psychologically is a huge assumption.

How about pondering how Artur would have acted when he was getting hit with rapid fire combinations which he couldn’t react to?

Then what?

He would certainly have tried to have done that. But planning something and executing something is very different.

You could only beat Roy if you could catch up to him and land something big.

He was so fast and elusive, he barely lost rounds in most of his fights.

Again, this would have been a very dangerous fight for Roy. But I couldn’t have favoured a 17 fight guy at this stage, especially knowing how fast Roy was.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    Jackman65 likes this.