Prime Sonny Liston vs Prime wladimir klitschko

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by HeavyweightCP, May 1, 2014.

1. HeavyweightCP

HeavyweightCP Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I really Think Liston would KO Wlad

I really think this would be the first time Wlad would be out jabbed every round

and it would bother him and Sonny would stop him

Sonny had great skill very under rated

Liston had one of the best jabs in Heavyweight history

But what do you guys think?

2. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    i think klitchko stops him, if ali can.
    klitchko can and because wlad is not anywhere near the skill level of ali, but he hits a shitload harder and wlad will certianly outjab liston, chuck in that monstrous right hand, listons done for.

people may underrate liston but in my eyes hes overated.

ascended, Toney F*** U and BCS8 like this.
  3. Meazy-E

Meazy-E Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 8, 2012
    This time I agree with you heavyweight, Sonny would would be getting him all night this that jab, which will not be a pawing range finder, but a powerful piston like jab which will push Wlad around all night.

Then you got Sonny slipping and jabbing his way inside where he fires off those hooks to the belly then move up top hitting Wlad so hard he has to step to keep his balance, and then the BOOM with a right, Wlad is dazed. BANG with the left and Wlad is out!

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  4. HeavyweightCP

Oct 16, 2011
    Liston could Box and was a much better fighter than Wlad

Wlad like to to throw that 1 2 Liston lost to Ali because of Alis movement

Wlad does not move he is in front of you using his jab and size Liston is not having that

Also Liston hits harder than Wlad

5. Meazy-E

Aug 8, 2012
    Liston was probably pushing 40 or at least mid 30s by the time he fought Ali s well, those fights with ali would have been much tougher with the liston 4 or 5 years prior to them.

6. lepinthehood

Aug 27, 2011
    does he? what prove he hits harder because hes old school? wlad is a monstrous puncher, and also about 30-40lbs heavier than sonny. overated liston.

i think joe frazier is better and would beat wlad, liston no. liston was a genetic freak at the time with a huge reach and huge fists built for power, that doesnt mean he gets passed the better jab of wlads, and he would need too because no way his beating klitchko on the outside. also liston isnt very fast, his movement is very demonstrative, not the sort like tyson or frazier showed. and the fact he was stopped by ali means he was just a playground bully.

7. HeavyweightCP

Oct 16, 2011
    Liston is still a freak even with today stands he was more sound boxer than Wlad

Wlad has never seen something like Liston

Plus go read where Foreaman said Liston used to shake his shots off like they were nothing

Liston is just better than Wlad

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  8. Meazy-E

Aug 8, 2012
    Just because liston did not move his head nonstop did not mean he was a duck. He had great reflexes and slipping abilities, along with fantastic timing, also Im gonna assume by Wlad's jab was better, that you meant Wlad's grab was better. Also, Sonny's reach was longer, which significantly diminishes the outside advantage that Klits has against opponents, and Sonny's inside game is far better than Grabomir's,

9. lepinthehood

Aug 27, 2011
    i dont think he is, i think hes overated. he was just a powerful lump with supposed great boxing skills, his speed of foot and evasiveness werent up too much. u know i usually hate to bring other boxers into a discussion but u have far better powerful punchers than liston. joe louis would of beat him thats sonny and wlad.
    better fighter, liston is overated hugely. but let the thread pan out i cant be bothered discussing listons notoriety

ascended and louis54 like this.
  10. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Ridiculous to dismiss Liston as just a genetic freak.

1) He could move, slip & throw many punches well His jab was at least near the best HW ever.

2) He had tremendous power. He is dismissed as a freak with his 11" ape factor" & huge hands, but we go back to height & weight as an arbiter of power? Some have not learned that above a certain side there are diminishing returns, if that, for power. Nobody has not said Liston had Top Shelf power.

3) He would give up ~ 6 full inches yet have a 3" longer reach! More with Vitali.
    He would outjab Wlad easily.

4) The comparison to a fairly shot Liston vs. Ali-not even considering if the fights were fixed or clearly at least in one case half-hearted when old-are made with no shame? :roll::nut

5) And Wlad has none of the foot speed, or even hand speed, Ali needed to pull it off.

Look, if you insist that size mean too much I guess you could pick Wlad.
    But the reasoning given above for Wlad lacks coherence or credibility.
    Next we are gonna hear about Liston's heart when completely washed up, & any shocking loss of Wlad ignored?

It is just wrong, in both senses but mainly intellectually to just cherry-pick apples to oranges comparisons, to mix my fruit metaphors.

11. SILVER SKULL 66

SILVER SKULL 66 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 6, 2013
    It depends on where they fought, if they fought in Germany where Klitchko can get away with all of the hugging and holding, i would have to favor him..

If they fought in the states with a ref who would enforce the rules, NO EXCESSIVE HOLDING, then i think Liston wins by possible DQ...

This would turn out like the Sam Peter - Wlad fight in 2005, Wlad hit the canvas 3X and was holding on for dear life, but won a unpopular decision

50-50 fight, i would slightly favor Liston, but he is giving up a lot of size, height and weight..

12. HeavyweightCP

Oct 16, 2011
    Liston was beast and Sonny was strong he kos Wlad anywhere in the world

to much skill

13. Anh

Anh Undisputed chicken dancer Full Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Sonny Liston can take hard punches (check out his fights against Cleveland Williams) and his left jab hurts fighters like most right hands.

Wlad's only real strategy is to jab and keep away, and look for counter opportunities - but he never had Ali/Clay's foot speed to protect himself and I see him being TKO'd in round 3.

14. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I rate Wlad, higher than many on Classic I think, but Liston is a horrible fight for him.

15. heerko koois

heerko koois Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    WK wins -ring Iq 150-160
    Liston ring Iq 100-110...
    Liston punches harder though