Prime Tyson vs Anthony Joshua

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Mar 24, 2019.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Would Tyson have what it takes to take on this modern day Willard?

surfinghb likes this.
  2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    1. I'm no Joshua fan, but he's not even comparable to Willard. Joshua has proven far more than Willard, even excluding his Klitschko win.
    2. Tyson would put such a bad beating on Joshua that Eddie Hearn goes out of business

3. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I am a AJ appreciator, and think at the minute he is the best thing going today...although I hope he steps up to the plate to prove it.

At this point in time I don’t see anything to point to to pick him over Tyson. Tyson by 4th rd KO

4. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Re Play of Bruno 1

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  5. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
  6. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
  7. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Joshua would do better than Bruno did but Tyson will still get the KO.

8. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Well Willard and AJ are the same size.

9. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Haha wrong! Willard is a half inch taller.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  10. David Duncan

David Duncan New Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Has anyone predicted an AJ victory yet? Lol. Huge huge Joshua fan. Credit to boxing and damn good fighter but NO. Peak Tyson was NEARLY the best heavyweight of all time.

Brixton Bomber and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  11. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I think AJ has some of the tools necessary to do it, but don’t see him pulling it off. But I also don’t think the book on AJ has been written yet, and he still has a chance to change the narrative...but as things stand today I can’t pick it.

h8me likes this.
  12. 88Chris05

88Chris05 Active Member Full Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Although they don't get as many YouTube hits or as much blood-thirsty fanfare from his acolytes, I always put Tyson's performances against Tucker and Biggs amongst his very best.

I pick those two fights in particular because I don't think it's feasible that Tyson can fight Joshua the way he fought Berbick, Spinks, Bruno et al. Joshua is just too big and, lest we forget, has heavier hands than anyone Tyson fought in his best years. Tyson would need to be sharp and a little more patient than usual.

Providing he had the good sense to be respectful of Joshua's power, I think Tyson is just too good for Joshua, or at least any version we've seen of him so far. I've still got my doubts about Joshua's ability to deal with really good boxers if / when his power can't get him out of jail.

If Tyson is moving his head, using the aggressive jab coming in, working the high-low and avoiding unnecessary clinches, as he did against Tucker and Biggs, I think he gives Joshua a bit of a lesson and stops a tired Joshua on his feet after seven or eight rounds. Failing that I still think Tyson wins a clear decision.

Against a more straight-up, brawling post-Rooney Tyson, or even against the Tyson who was a little too eager and dismissive of his opponent's gifts against Thomas, Joshua has a much better chance, as he proved against Wladimir that he's got a big heart and he'd be landing at a much higher rate. He's a good, clinical finisher, too.

But if Tyson has his head screwed on properly, I think he's got too much class for Joshua.

13. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    No on all accounts.

Tyson has seen the same power as AJ brings, punch for punch, Bruno or Ruddock, hit the same or possible harder.

What you see with AJ is the finished product, period, he is too old to change, even if he attempts when the going gets tough he will revert to the old engrained AJ. That means he will never move his head or move his upper body, his stamina will always have a question mark and we all mow his chin is not glass but it aint granite either.

AJ does not fight tall, he has a good jab but does not double up on it while moving laterally , is not particular fast of hand and foot, he likes to trade fairly up close throwing hooks......deadly against Tyson.

AJ likes to fight when pressed and Tyson will draw him into a fire fight trading which AJ will not survive.....one thing for sure, Tyson can take AJ's best , punch for punch, for sure but AJ aint taking Tyson's best artillery .......WK let AJ off the hook after the knock down.......Tyson would finish him in the follow up in the same round, no doubt.

To put it blunt, AJ does not have the fluidity or Ring IQ to pull it off.

14. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Love it Jake !!

15. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    We don't know if Joshua is the best heavy in today's game, much less putting in the ring with Prime M. Tyson at top 10-15 heavy in history. The only way I can see Joshua surviving beyond 5rds is too tie Tyson up, lean on him , smother his artillery before he gets his offense going. But sooner than later Tyson's speed of hand of foot , would allow him to nail Joshua, and knock him .down. Joshua would probably get up, and be brave instead of smart and try to retaliate. Wrong move. Tyson would batter Joshua until the ref or his corner stop the fight, or Tyson would lay Joshua out cold