Primo Carnera versus the disregarded champs.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Rollin, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Rollin

Rollin Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2021
    Personally, I'd give Carnera a better chance at beating Baer in a potential rematch that most people do. He would have time to reorganize and prepare for a more patient game of keeping Max at the end of that stinging jab. Their match was a true tragedy for Primo: the first knockdown really was mostly him losing balance and busting his ankle. Leaning or stepping back, on top of the more wrestle-esque techniques, was an crucial part of his defense, especially against those leaping, looping punches. With limited mobility, he was like a lamb waiting for slaughter.

Then again, I can clearly see why people would pick the big league punchers with good hand speed as favorites against Carnera.

MadProf likes this.
  2. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Primo catches the crouching Rocky with a huge uppercut that lifts him off his feet and deposits him senseless on the canvas in the 4th rd.

3. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Here again, legends, theories, looks, a fiction Hollywood movie, and YouTube make up most of what we think we know about Primo Carnera. I'm of the belief that Primo was better than he is given credit for in 2021. He had size, strength, and the heart of a Champion, and was really not that bad at boxing. He outpointed Tommy Loughran, who was a decent boxer. Carnera was sad looking when he first started out, and definitely was (knowingly or unknowingly) intertwined with the mob. But, as the years rolled by, he learned and improved. He's no where near a top 10 All time Heavyweight, but I think he deserves a place near the bottom of the top 30 somewhere.

For reference, compared to today's fighters? I'd give him a decent chance at beating Deontay Wilder. I'm thinking that would be a toss-up, pick-'em fight. Wilder probably hits harder and Carnera probably boxes better.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  4. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    I rate Primo higher in accomplishment and indeed highter in my top100 but not a chance in hell that Wilder doesn't catch him and starch him.

swagdelfadeel, Tonto62 and djanders like this.