Primo Carnera vs Deontay Wilder

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by baconmaker, Apr 23, 2017.

1. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    So he never got the true vital experience every professional needs when rising the ranks, and STILL became champion?

All of this points to Carnera being better than we thought.

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Oh jog on saddo.

3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    This is it.

Carnera's detractors almost seem to argue that his fights against B grade opposition were fixed, but that his fights against elite opposition were on the level.

Perhaps it was easier to make such allegations in the American press, regarding fights that took place in Europe.

4. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Yep.
    Agenda causes delusion.
    Oh well...

5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    No, objective observers believe that several of his elite grade fights were fixed/up for debate too!
    eg

1. Schaaf .A medical condition should never have been in a ring
    2.Uzcudun. Had not been a ranked heavyweight for five years! Title defence on home territory.
    3.Nuesel. Quit.
    4.Loughran. Outweighed by 84lbs!
    This leaves which elite fighters he beat?
    Sharkey? For me the jury is still and always will be out on that one!

Other elite opposition?
    Baer? Beat him like a drum!
    Louis ? Slaughtered him!

6. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    But that is just the point.

None of these fights were fixed.

Obviously you can poke holes in the wins, as you can with any fighter, but he was knocking over world class fighters consistently.

That is why people defend him.

7. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Yes indeed your agenda has definitely done that! Three of you,you ,Janitor and ChokLab argued until you were blue in the face and got royally stuffed on the subject of Primo Carnera and his"skills". The rest of us don't expect to persuade you you are wrong , quite frankly we dont care,because by your arguments, you demonstrated that your opinions are irrelevant!

mrkoolkevin, BlackCloud and Pat M like this.
  8. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    But he wasn't," knocking over world class opponents consistently".
    Uzcudun was not world class in1933 and hadn't been for 5 years!
    Schaaf was a death waiting to happen.
    Neusel, who was never more than a fringe contender quit.
    That's it!

9. Zakman

Zakman ESB's Chinchecker Full Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Come on man, as a good boxing historian, you must know that some of the records of early 20th century fighters are incomplete (i.e. some of Carnera's opponents may have had more extensive records than Boxrec shows). Similarly too, fighters in this period fought more frequently, so not having a significant fight for 42 fights could well be "sooner" in Carnera's career than, for example facing Stiverne was in Wilder's.

One thing is for sure. Wilder has faced more stiffs for much longer than is the case for fighters in the modern period. And that leads me to believe something is a little fishy with this guy, particularly since he's been decked by a couple of these tomato cans, and wobbled by others. I think when all is said and done, he will be viewed as far more fraudulent and mediocre than Primo.

10. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    how would you know what would happen. Oh gosh.. Yeah Canera would win by knockout at the end of round 2.

11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I'm not only not a good boxing historian ,I'm not a historian at all!
    There have been three biographies on Carnera that I am aware of and there might have been more, reams of articles have been written about him,he was followed avidly all over the US by sensationalistic newsmen covering his every burp and fart,I think it extremely unlikely that there are undiscovered bouts of his still out there. Primos opponents consisted largely of tank artists and no hopers that is undeniable,the no hopers may have put in perfunctory efforts but the reports illustrate they had no real ambition in those fights. If you or anyone else can come up with additional fights for these "cannon fodder then please do so, until then, lets go with what we know. It's more likely that the reverse is the case imo , that records were padded to make them appear more respectable,as was the case for the US Championships and subsequent scandal promoted by Don King!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  12. Zakman

Zakman ESB's Chinchecker Full Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Well, I'm admittedly not a boxing historian either, and not at all claiming to be an authority on Carnera. But I am aware that there has been some revisionist work done on his career more recently that challenges the long-dominant contention that many of his fights were fixed. So the truth of this allegation is, at least, debatable.

What is not debatable, and quite well known since there is video of many of these "fights" is that many of Wilder's fights might as well have been fixed. The opponents in his first five or so years or so are among the worst "opponents" I have ever seen a touted Olympic-level fighter faced, and he faced this level of "competition" for far longer than is typically the case today.

Even after this, while his comp level ticked up slightly, most of his fights have been against grossly overmatched opponents. Outside of Stiverne of those he's faced who was given much of a chance to beat him? The answer - not one opponent. And his opposition for the first five years of his career was a total joke.

The reason for this was revealed in the Nichols and Sconers fights - this guy doesn't take a very good punch, even from totally inept fighters. As soon as he faces a live body, he will be predictably destroyed. Carnera, whatever his flaws, was a live body in his era.

13. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Carnera was facing men with losing records intermitantly all through his career,Wilder hasn't.
    I agree Wilder's opposition has been woeful for a world champion, but checkout the guys Carnera was fighting at the same stage and with the same amount of fights under his belt! Carnera did not possess the power to ko Wilder.

14. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    I suspect that it doesn't take much power to KO Wilder if you get him right.

15. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    What you suspect isn't a fact.So far no one has ko'd him .Carnera was dropped by moderate punchers,he was also extremely easy to hit with right hands and ,whatever his other shortcomings Wilder has a terrific right hand punch!