Primo Carnera vs. Floyd Patterson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Sep 26, 2007.

1. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Carnera is seeing a bit of a renaissance recently as a result of Old Fogey's list. Could he beat Floyd? How do you see this fight unravelling, and what are the major stylistic factors in each fighter's favor?

2. Luigi1985

Luigi1985 Cane Corso Full Member

Feb 23, 2006
    I don´t know, for Floyd it wouldn´t be such a good matchup. Of course, when you ask this question here, most of the guys probably say Floyd KO´s him in the first rounds, which is total bull****. Patterson was KD against Harris, a 180 lbs- fighter, who scored 9 KO´s in his whole fights. He was also KD by a debutant, who wasn´t also a big puncher, and so on. Against Carnera, an at least 260 lbs-man with no fat and a 34"- reach, he would be in trouble, because he would need to go in the inside to land his combinations, and Carnera, who wasn´t in general a big puncher (because of his bad punch-technique), had big one-punch-power, which he showed often. And when Primo lands for example a right hand on Floyd´s chin, he wouldn´t get up until 10, Carnera´s chin on the other side is a bit underrated, in his prime (or near his prime) he was only KO´d by 2 of the biggest punchers in the HW- history (Baer and Louis), so Patterson wouldn´t be able to KO him "surely" or so, I wouldn´t automatically favour Carnera, but I give him more chances than Floyd in this one...

3. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I agree with this.

I'm going to make everyone go bat**** by adding that I think Carnera is to big for Patterson. What is it - about 80lbs? In a way that favours Pattersons plan - get inside, work and land the big left if it can be done. That's fine.

Also, Luigi's point about Carnera not having great power is accurate in my view, but I too think it's more a technical problem than anything else. If he hangs around he'll land and if he lands big he'll stop Patterson who has a fragile reputation for a reason, even if it is a little overstated sometimes.

And Carnera CAN hang around. He can be hurt and make it back, as the madness with Baer showed. I would pick Carnera by KO. He could also dominate close if he was smart against the smaller Patterson.

As for Patterson, he has to keep Carenera of balance (an area where he's miles ahead, balance) and keep working, keep landing.

4. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006

Exactly. You know, at first I didn´t want to post on this, because some idiots like C.M. Clay II would probably say just out of desperation (because they can´t discuss meaningful) that I only favour him because I´m also an Italian or any **** like that. But for me, it hasn´t to do with that, I´m objective, it has to do with the styles of these 2. Carnera´s jab was very good, and Patterson was a typical combination-puncher, but here to land some of his combinations he have to come close, and Carnera, like I wrote, wasn´t a great puncher because of his bad punch-technique, but he had a very good one-punch, definitely enough to KO Patterson cold when he lands. I also think that Carnera´s chin was a bit better than Floyd´s...

5. Mankind

Mankind Super Moderator banned

Jul 19, 2004
    Patterson pounds him pretty easy. Carnera has to land a haymaker but I dont think he has the skills to get it in.

Patterson 9th rd TKO

6. Holmes' Jab

Holmes' Jab Master Jabber Full Member

Nov 20, 2006
    Patterson had too much skill, savvy, handspeed and power for the flat-footed Carnera to handle. Carnera is tough, but Floyd would eventually overwhelm The Ambling Alp just past the mid-rounds.

Patterson TKO7 Carnera

7. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006
    Who would he get always inside with his shaky chin? You also know that Carnera´s jab was pretty good, so I would like to hear your opinion now...

8. Quick Cash

Quick Cash Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 12, 2007
    I'm gonna go ahead and disagree about Primo Carnera's supposed power edge or one-punch power edge, or whatever it is that some of the previous posts are implying here. Floyd packed more dynamite in his 190 pound frame than Primo Carnera could ever muster up from his own 260 body.

Style-wise I admit it would be particularly difficult for Patterson. Carnera used his size well, or at least tried to use his size well most of the time. He was also markedly known for fierce fouling tactics on the inside, not to necessarily be deliberately underhanded I don't think, but it was one of the side-quirks of his anomalous bulk.

The jab would be a non-factor since it was the kind of jab that was effective only on stationary targets, which of course Patterson was not.

9. OLD FOGEY

OLD FOGEY Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Patterson is quick and skilled, but he was about the same height and weight as Loughran. Carnera would have about 7 inches and 80-90 lbs weight pull. I think that would make it very tough for Patterson. Carnera stepped about pretty well for such a big man and had stamina. I think he is more likely to wear down Floyd than vice versa. Carnera by decision, but it is a very close choice.

I would point out that Patterson never proved he could deal with even the 210 lb types of his own era. He failed miserably against Liston and Ali and barely edged the 6' 1" 208 lb Chuvalo. The only man over 210 with a winning record he defeated was the aging journeyman, Charley Powell, at 213 lbs. Carnera is another world for Patterson. That is why I would give Carnera a narrow edge.

10. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I like Floyd here,he has more power ,more speed ,more coordination,Carneras jab may be underated ,but his power isnt,if Loughran a fading light heavy ,devoid of power ,can go the distance without visiting the floor,wobbling Carnera twice ,I think Floyd who is bigger ,faster,and has more power will do as well or better,Carnera never lacked heart ,so he goes the route ,but his huge torso takes a shellacking from Floyds fast combinations.

11. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006

You can always say that, I can counter with "If a LHW and former MW like Durelle can last the distance against Patterson, than Primo would surely do...", against Loughran like so many times after he won the title, he fought a very defensive and safety fight...

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Just my take on it L ,you pays your money and takes your choice.

13. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    [
    Precisely why I'd pick Nikolay Valuev to beat Rocky Marciano.

14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Against a non hitter over 80lbs lighter why would Carnera fight a safety first defensive fight? By the way Patterson kod Durelle in 5 rounds 1955.

15. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006

But it´s also a style-thing, Marciano had an iron-chin, which he would need to come inside to land something, Patterson is exactly the opposite...