Pro Boxing is not ice skating!

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by tinman, Jul 19, 2023.

1. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Its pro boxing. Not ice skating. Keep the compubox nonsense to amatuer boxing. I think the best example of stupid amatuer tap dancing scoring is Hagler Leonard. I've seen the fight 3 times. Truly bizarre decision. Soft ass decision that was. Hagler won that fight no doubt about it.

It's the hurt and pain game. I scored DLH Whitaker for DLH too. Judges got that one right IMO. It's always been about hurting the other guy and landing hard punches. 3 pity pat punches are worth less than 1 hard quality blow.

Seamus likes this.
  2. JOKER

JOKER Froat rike butterfry, sting rike MFER! banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    3/10 thread.

pacas likes this.
  3. Lesion of Doom

Lesion of Doom Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2015
    It's not any one thing or another. Scoring fights is much more art than science, hence the reason people complain about conspiracy theories and robberies all the time mostly talking out of their ass.

Hagler lost that fight, btw. Shouldn't have gotten cute the first four rounds.

drenlou likes this.
  4. Guerra

Guerra Well-Known Member Full Member

May 23, 2020
    Power punches vs flashy light punches thread.
    I dont like the idea of stealing rounds with some quick flurries that influence the crowd and judges.

tinman likes this.
  5. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    Imagine the irony if Inoue beats the living pis out of Fulton, but they give the decision to Fulton for pity pat punches.

6. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    Hagler dominated rounds 5-12. Hagler felt nothing. Had no effect on him. Leonard's work was all flash, no substance.

Seamus likes this.
  7. MrPook

MrPook Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 15, 2007
    SRL won that fight.

Maybe like 3 rounds to Hagler.

8. Lesion of Doom

Jan 21, 2015
    I politely disagree. Hagler had some bigger rounds, but imo he did not win 7 out of 8 as would have been necessary for him to win. He simply dug too big a hole.

9. Guerra

May 23, 2020
    From memory I think leonard won rounds 6 and 11. Hagler was down 5-1 after 6. He needed to win every round in the second half.
    I think you could argue it though but its as tight as Pac vs Jmm 2 for me.
    A draw fight that you could argue going either way.
    Its the 118-110 scorecard that pisses me off. Especially given how Hagler always got screwed over while Leonard was the Canelo of that era.

10. Lesion of Doom

Jan 21, 2015
    I haven't watched it in a long time but think I scored it 8-4 last time. Not sure, tho. I definitely don't agree with any controversy. Tough to climb out of a 4-0 hole without getting any KDs.

The true takeaway from that fight was that Hagler was shopworn and his decline was accelerating. He didn't look great against Mugabi and got busted up in that fight, then you add a year of age and inactivity to the clock. Even with all that, he might have won if he had not agreed to Leonard's ring size and puffy gloves - Marvin's arrogance got the better of him.

11. ShanannaGator11

ShanannaGator11 "She said I could." Full Member

Feb 16, 2021
    This might not be a popular statement with alot of people here but fights are won and lost in the first 3 rounds. How you start is just as important as how you finish

12. chacal

chacal F*** the new normal Full Member

Jun 21, 2015
    The problem of that fight is that it was 12 rounds, and hagler had in his gear a 15 rounds mode hardcoded. He fought that fight like a 15 rounds fight (because I think he couldnt help it after so many years fighting 15 rounds) and that's what lost him the fight.

I have no doubt that had this fight been a 15 rounds fight, Leonard does not finish the fight standing (ofc losing on the cards too). But it was not.

PS: 15 rounds boxing is a different sport, btw. A better one imho, with way more tactical approaches. I understand that fighters' health is the most important thing though.

13. fencik45

fencik45 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2022
    The biggest problem is compubox is just two biased guys probably as paid off as the ref and judges.

tinman likes this.
  14. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    115-113 Sugar Ray Leonard

15. Guerra

May 23, 2020
    Yeah true, I think he had been slightly declining since the Roldan fight. After Hearns and Mugabi the decline was evident.
    I dont like SRL but you have to give it to him how shrewd he was. He really waited and took the perfect opportunity to fight Hagler, then really stacked the deck in his favour and used tricks to steal rounds.
    Hagler also shouldnt hve fought orthodox for so long. I think he wanted to prove he was better than Ray or something after years of resenting the guy.
    Had he came out southpaw and straight attacking him I think he would have easily won.
    Sometimes I wish we had Hearns 2 instead and him breaking monzon's record then retiring.
    But atleast we never saw him totally washed up and humiliated like many other past prime greats. Still the greatest middleweight fir me.

Lesion of Doom likes this.