Professional boxing champions with class, good role models.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Richard M Murrieta, Sep 15, 2020.

1. sweetsci

sweetsci Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    I'll add Alexis Arguello. Always a complete gentleman, from what I saw on TV.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Just to further irritate the Fuhrer, Max was married to a Jewish woman.

3. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    There are more great role models from our sport than we could ever name. We only hear about the crooks, bullys etc...

4. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I do not buy the Charles Barkley comment that parents are supposed to be the only role models. That comment is a cop out to allow sports figures to misbehave, a free pass. When you are a champion or a professional, you have a responsibility to the youth and public.

sweetsci likes this.
  5. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    All Boys Can...Archies foundation. He had a troubled youth but really turned it around. Always think of Floyd Patterson when I think of role models but idk how he was privately don’t know much of him other then ring ability
    Old George foreman
    Joe Louis before retirement lol

6. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Those are some of the greatest role models.

Gazelle Punch likes this.
  7. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Vernon Forrest

Andre Ward

8. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    He and his wife, whose income as a famous movie actress was not insubstantial, lost all their savings during the war and had to start all over. Luckily, Max was popular enough in Germany that he was able to parlay his income from a few fights after the war to buy into a Coca-Cola distributorship franchise. As for his "failure" to renounce the Nazis, I don't think he could have done any more than he did and come out of the war alive rather than to be imprisoned and executed. Maybe he could have defected, but there were very few Germans who were not Jews or minorities who did that. Being a patriot to the Fatherland (but not to Hitler's Nazi Party), he probably never seriously considered defecting just like most of us would not consider leaving our native countries if we were not being directly persecuted.