Promoter of the year 2017?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Skelly, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Skelly

Skelly New Member Full Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Who is your promoter of the year for 2017?
    There's alot more pressure for best vs best with recent fights, which is surely going to keep top promoters on top form. But also maybe see some poor mismatching promoters fall behind as they are too stuck in their ways

2. ryuken87

ryuken87 Active Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2014
    In the UK? Hearn. Joshua vs Klitschko and Brook vs Spence were far better than anything else on offer.

tee_birch likes this.
  3. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    100% Mick Hennessy for the comedy factor.

From start to finish the entire Parker-Fury promotion was comedy gold. The fact that Mick paid over the odds for Parker, lost a fortune on a quarter-filled arena, YouTube PPV, his reaction after the scorecards were read, "Shades of Ali" and then his amazing rant on IFL after.

This content is protected

The bit that kills me every single time is 1:48. The emphasis on the word "f*ck" is what destroys me every time. Classic interview I never get tired of watching that.

I know it's wrong of me to mock someone's misfortune but the whole promotion was a shambles in the extreme. Especially with alcoholic wreck Dave Higgins involved.

In all seriousness, in response to the OP Hearn is clearly the best of 2017.

Kapparino, Plaza, pow and 2 others like this.
  4. Daydorail

Daydorail Member Full Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Id go as far to say as Cyclone were No2

5. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Hearn definitely although Frank and Cyclone had a good year- Cyclone especially with their main events.

Kalle would be mentioned but you get the feeling ITV really aren't that bothered in promoting his product.

CutThroatFade likes this.
  6. Skelly

Skelly New Member Full Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Exactly... just over a month until the biggest fight of the WBSS and not a single ad! Plus it's ppv

Expect it to do 5 figure buys... at best

7. Scyson

Scyson Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Kalle is a great shout. He’s brought us the WBSS in 2017 and there’s already been some great fights and in 2018 there’s some absolutely mega fights.

I can’t help but feel disappointed with Warren and Hearn though. AJ - Klitschko was colossal but that was just a main event. Loads of poor shows other than that. Warren the same. He had Smith - Williams 2 which on paper had the makings of a classic and the biggest domestic dust up for a while but it was in Newcastle in a half empty arena then the likes of Flanagan were let down badly.

Frank will look at 2017 as a good year as it was his first year with BT and he made strides improving his stable.

Eddie will look at 2017 and look at Joshua and the numbers he created and took in and be happy. Obviously he will be happy with the emergence of Kelly too.

But from a fans point of view I can’t help but feel it was poor.

2018 looks great though for the pair of them.
    Frank has got his Selby/Warrington/Frampton/possibly Santa Cruz thing going on, BJS vs GGG or Canelo, Dubois carrying on progressing, Degale in a world title fight, Yarde...
    Hearn has got AJ/Parker/Wilder going on. Haye bellew will do big numbers, Callum Smith could come out of the WBSS as a big star. Then the likes of Kelly, Cordina, Fowler stepping up.
    Then you’ve got the bonus of a Groves-Eubank fight and one of them likely against Smith in a massive fight. Then you’ve got Taylor hopefully challenging for a world title this year.
    That’s without mentioning Tyson Fury and the return of the main man Amir Iqbal Khan!

DJN16, PaddyGarcia and CutThroatFade like this.
  8. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Don Kalle.

Scyson likes this.
  9. Plaza

Plaza Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2017
    I thought that in 2016 Eddie hearn was levels above but I think that he went backwards in 2017, it seemed he put all his eggs in one basket the AJ Klitschko fight and everything after just didn't feel as good as 2016 through to that night in Wembley. I enjoyed the cyclone card with josh Taylor and OD but not a lot else, plus they lost frampton... I think that kalle and the wbss is by far the best idea but agree with most that they seem to lack the might of matchroom in promoting it! Just seems only the die hard boxing fans are following... Warren has made the most progress for me but his shows are still poor, can't even talk about mick Hennessey highlight of his year was the interview after parker fight... I'd say hearn still the top promoter but good to see the others close the gap

10. jm2729v

jm2729v Active Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2016
    Obviously Eddie's on top but Frank's improved the most and made the most progress this year.

11. 2fast2fury

2fast2fury Member Full Member

Jan 12, 2018
    I actually feel for mick lol

12. 2fast2fury

2fast2fury Member Full Member

Jan 12, 2018
    agreed