"Protect yourself at all times"

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by lencoreastside, Jul 11, 2017.

1. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Its not just the ambush scenario, sometimes when youve buzzed someone, them by making it look like theyre surrendering can buy themselves vital time, time which can be the difference between you getting them out of there and time for them making it to the bell.
    The only way it would work is for it to be written into the rulebook that anyone giving the impression they are surrendering, will be waved off.
    I have seen fighters been waved off before for turning there back.
    Paul sykes got waved off for turning his back on john Gardner for the british in 1979. It wasnt too disimilar to what davies did only it was in the centre of the ring not on the ropes.
    I dont think sykes was quitting it was more like a natural reaction to getting punched but he got tkod in the 6th for it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. lawslaw

lawslaw Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Roberto Duran used to be one of the best at playing possum, used to utilise it to devestating effect. I remember watching sparring videos when he even used to do it with Nigel Benn.

im sparticus likes this.
  3. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    As you say...wave it off...so a guy cheating by trying to buy time to clear his head or recover from a bodyshot will only be hurting himself.
    Problem solved.

4. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Reminds me of paint balling when someone gets shot, they have to hold their arms up and walk off the game and people are not allowed to shoot at them...however, when you spot that it's the lad who's been boiling your p**s all day you just think 'have it' and pepper him with a few shots anyway.

JT was naughty doing what he did but not many including myself wouldn't be able to resist dishing out an extra smack for being called a bum all week.

DJN16 likes this.
  5. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    That's an interesting angle, 20.
    Really almost all human activity relies to some extent on an "honour" system to some degree....boxing ...paintball being 2 examples.

There HAS to be an element of good old fashioned sportsmanship. You know...the " noble" art of self defence and all that jazz.

Something like what Holyfield did in the olympics or Dempsey-sharkey it just human error ...what I have a problem with is the "mma mentality" of anything goes....people saying "a boxer knows what to expect"...."you have to expect to her clobbered if you are on your feet" .....that's not what I want in sport ...not for me anyway..for me .there HAS to be a certain amount of rules and sportsmanship....:)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Camaris, DJN16 and Twentyman like this.
  6. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Your points of view are interesting. Have you boxed or competed in any form of martial arts?

7. Camaris

Camaris Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    I'm with Len on this one, which probably weakens his position but there we go...

lencoreastside and Twentyman like this.
  8. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Neither myself or the 3 other guys I was watching it with noticed how Davies signaled until we saw a replay on Twitter, to be fair but obviously we was outside the ring so that isn't worth much. As for hitting when he took a knee, I mean that's just conjecture at this point. If he'd have done that then I would have fully supported his punishment

9. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    Nothing competitive...just some sparring and karate....but all that was well over 30 yrs ago.

I'm strictly an armchair warrior...prob one of the reasons I admire guys with the guts to do what I don't....:)

10. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I think the poster was talking if the fact every boxer who enters a ring is taking a health risk, obviously me like any true boxing fan does not want any boxer to receive lasting damage , but it was mainly body shots that appeared to make Davies quit.

lencoreastside likes this.
  11. B.A.S.

B.A.S. Active Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2012
    You are obviously an absolute ******.

If a boxer has to be reminded to constantly be on his guard he may as well be constantly reminded to try and punch his opponent, or constantly keep his trunks on, or constantly keep breathing throughout the duration of the fight.

12. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    An honest answer

13. Fhaggis

Fhaggis Active Member Full Member

Oct 12, 2016
    watched the fight back again earlier and Taylor didn't actually seem to throw much or any shts after the ref jumped in, the camera angle changed but he seemed to have stopped throwing and was more giving verbals.

14. jm2729v

jm2729v Active Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2016
    Wait didn't the OP already make a thread about this topic before?

15. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    No, he didnt.