Protein Shakes - Do they make you urinate more?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Beatboxer, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Beatboxer

Beatboxer Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Thanks very much for that advice mate, it's certainly something I'll be considering. I am looking more at body building, but any advice like this is most welcome :good

2. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    If your bodybuilding you need good carbs and high does of protein. Note the body doesnt metabolise huge doses of protein very well. It can give you very dark stools high colesterol and constipation. Ensure your diet is very balanced with the right amount of minerals and lots and lots of fibre.

3. Beatboxer

Beatboxer Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Again, thanks very much for the advice it is most appreciated :good

4. 'Ben'

'Ben' Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 8, 2009
    I don't know about pissing.... bit they make me **** like a trooper!

I took one and then went training in the fitness gym and I had to jump off the ****ing running machine at high level and let rip in the toilet. I made it just in time.

5. bobalachko

bobalachko Active Member Full Member

Jun 12, 2009
    well kid best thing to do is stay well away from shakes ,will **** you up.water cant go wrong

6. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    It will do because Protein will make you very gassy.

7. ying

ying New Member Full Member

Aug 31, 2009
    First off, note that the RDI for proteins is the minimum amount for survival, not the optimal daily intake (according to that, a guy working a desk job and, say, a construction worker would require the same amount which is nonsensical). According to Milos Sarcev on his "Secrets of the Pros" dvd series, he reccomends 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight (up to two grams per pound for serious bodybuilders). Naturally, if you drink this all in one sitting, your body isn't going to absorb all of it, so the proteins end up in your gut, where the bacteria will have a field day on it... That's what causes the gasses. It's reccomended to have at least 6 meals spread throughout the day if you're bodybuilding, so your body remains in an anabolic state. I usually eat warm twice a day (when I wake up and supper, obviously) and drink 4 protein shakes daily, usually after a workout session.

There are various kinds of protein: Egg, cassein, whey and soy. You'll probably only need whey, but cassein has its uses if you're serious about bodybuilding. Just skip egg proteins (actual eggs have a higher biological value) and soy is rather controversial since various sources report conflicting information about it.

Whey: Fast absorbtion, if I'm not mistaken, within 30 minutes. Optimal for after a workout.
    Cassein: (Milk protein) Slow absorbtion (7 hours if I'm not mistaken), becomes especially useful when you're about to get some sleep, since the cassein will provide a constant flow of proteins even during sleep.

On a side note, it's been shown that bromelain (can be found in pineapple and papaya) increases the absorbtion rate of proteins in your system. Problem is, the highest concentration of bromelain found in pinapple is in a part which isn't usually consumed. Bromelain supplements would be optimal, but stuff like pineapple juice also contain bromelain only in lower doses. I can't be bothered with bromelain supplementation at the moment so just drink pinapple juice all day long. :good

8. taj-09

taj-09 Guest

protein shakes make you fart alot and make your farts stink. You would only urinate more if you were taking in lots of water or milk.

9. neuf08

neuf08 New Member Full Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Definitely try a bromelain supplement. Bromelain is an enzyme found in pineapple, and when taken with food it can help digest protein. Bromelain actually does a variety of things, like work as an anti-inflammatory as well (which is great for things like sinusitis, and joints), but if you take it with your meals it will work to help with digestion. You can also add in some papain as well (papaya enzyme), and take both together.

10. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    You usually drink them so I'd say yes, as you increase your fluids intake.

11. Chibuku

Chibuku I'm awesome Full Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Not only do they make me pee a lot.If I eat anything else after the shakes I fart like hell.I normally have a shake for lunch (meal replacement) and one for dinner but if I eat anything after that I just cant stop farting

12. wordisbond

wordisbond Active Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I definitely **** more but it's only because I mix the powder with a tall glass of water. If I were to drink only the water, it would cause the same effect.