Provably, demonstrably exaggerated heights

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Feb 3, 2022.

1. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Classic needs to recruit you as the official measuring stick for all disputed boxers' heights.

djanders likes this.
  2. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Mike was 5-9 if he was a foot. But he looked like two dudes stuffed into a sweatsuit.

Entaowed likes this.
  3. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    I met him in the early 90's and thought the same thing. Even old Ali was a big dude.

djanders likes this.
  4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    It's an awkward topic. In your pic Duran is no shorter than Hagler and you can find 4 or 5 more pics where the same comes across. Duran is listed in boxrec at 5'7".

https://www.gettyimages.ae/detail/n...se-during-photo-shoot-to-news-photo/158705359

Tale of the Tape has SRL at 5'10" and Duran at 5'7 1/2" for their match. TOTT had Hagler at 5' 9 1/2" for Mugabi and Hearns. Hagler - SRL say Hagler again at 5'9 1/2" and Ray at 5'10 1/2".

Hagler and Duran look the same height in ring center too. Work that one out.

Pugguy likes this.
  5. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    You need not debate it, but why not have a friendly debate? It may be because of 3 points I mentioned, you cannot rebut any of them.
    I have zero bad feeling towards you. But if you review what I wrote you will see there are no legitimate responses.

So no problem if you choose not to argue.
    However, I am exercising my prerogative to politely correct you on what you wrongly claimed was what I presented as MY evidence.
    Did you really only look at the very top search result-listed without a source& not scroll down the page?
    Once more: heghts between 5'8"-5'10" are claimed for Hagler.
    5' 10" is the EXCEPTION.

Box Rec, Wikipedia & others authoritive sources say 5' 8".
    YOU said Minter was looking down at him. As others note & you can discern online, Minter was 5'9".
    Hagler was at best 5' 8 & a 1/2". Maybe.

If he was 5' 10", he would almost tower over Duran.
    As you can see in their fight or the photo together on this very thread, they are near the same height. As Duran spoke about, inspiring him to seek their fight.
    I see Duran listed everywhere as 5'7".

6. Entaowed

Dec 16, 2012
    C'mon now what a tease, first you will bring us a potential girl to civilize us, now you want us to beg for that story?!

OK, I am pleading for it!

Pugguy likes this.
  7. Entaowed

Dec 16, 2012
    I never heard nor saw online speculation that he was shorter than 5' 10". He may have been & I thought he said 5' 10" 1/2, but I really doubt he is 5' 9".
    Recall he wll look shorter than he actually is because he is wide, because he fought much taller men, & he often was crouched in the ring.

8. ThatOne

ThatOne Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 13, 2022
    You two met the GOAT. I'm beyond envious. My mom met him in 86. She was working in the federal government building in Orlando. Ali was there to testify as a character witness for a friend. During a break he sat down in the cafeteria to sign autographs. All my mom had was an envelope. She told him my son loves you, God bless her memory, and asked him to sign it to him which he did. When I was a teenager I lived in Sunny Isles. I used to play pool in the game room at the Marco Polo Hotel. In the bottom floor was a nightclub called the Swingers Loungue. Ali and his entourage went there (1976) to see Melba Moore. We were too young to get in but we could watch others go in. I wad told I missed Ali and his entourage by minutes. I live in Woodland Hills now. My buddy said he saw Lalia Ali at the park with her kids.

cross_trainer likes this.
  9. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    He was within a few feet of me the first time I saw him for quite a while, 15 minutes or so. I was looking down on him the whole time.

10. Entaowed

Dec 16, 2012
    What you gonna make me ask how tall you are?
    I met Iron Mike once in the early '90's & thought he was his listed height, & I am barely under 6'. I was wrong.
    These things can be deceptive, footwear, how someone stands...

11. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I've heard he's barely 5'10. He looked a good 5 inches shorter than Holmes.

12. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    I'm 5-11. We were both in boxing shoes.

13. crixus85

crixus85 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2014
    On a Johnny Carson show on YouTube, maybe it’s still there, Ali appeared with Eastwood and said he was 6ft 2ins, when their respective heights came up, for some reason or other.

14. Pugguy

Pugguy Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Postures and deceiving angles can make it difficult. In the stills, going by eye level, I’d give Hags about 1/2” to 1” - Roberto had a nice mane happening there while Hags only had the top of his shiny pate for height effect. IMO, live vision is often best to judge by so I’ll have to have a look at their actual fight again - and at ring centre as you’ve pointed to.

Height wise, Hags was definitely on the shorter side for a MW. IIRC, Hags looked about scratch with Briscoe, not sure of Bad Bennie’s listing - maybe just 5’8” also? Just an aside but I think Hags had the best shaven skull of any fighter - the perfect dome, LOL.

JohnThomas1 and Entaowed like this.
  15. Entaowed

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks man.