Punching Power P4P (2021 updates)

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by eltirado, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Ok. But your asking me to believe that Pac is 33% faster than Hearns punch for punch. That's not believable imo at least as it relates to velocity at the point of contact

kriszhao and eltirado like this.
  2. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    No not all fighters learn to punch their whole weight at the higher weights it takes time to adjust, Nigel Benn threw far more power shots at 160 than at 168. McCallum had 30 KO`s out of 32 fights at 154 but only 5 KO`s out of 14 fights at 160.

Beouche and eltirado like this.
  3. eltirado

eltirado Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Its a P4Ppower punching list, which doesn't favor Heavyweights, so we can expect Joshua to have a lower P4P ranking & a very close psi to Deontay Wilder, most 6'06"+ Heavyweights can punch over 1200psi if they train for that.

Fury P4P power punching score, will be even much lower because he is much heavier. Current Fury punches at 1200psi, if Fury had a bit more speed his punches would have been much more lethal & at his range it will be impossible to avoid them.

Bofo24 likes this.
  4. eltirado

Jul 31, 2013
    Moving up in weight (and class) causes losing range vs taller highly skilled opponents, its a bigger loss than any gain in punching power from conditioning the CNS

All top boxers will score less KOs at the end of their career, mainly because of hardened opposition....compared to the early fights where they are facing opponents who are supposed to lose

5. eltirado

Jul 31, 2013
    Its very easy to measure speed Slow Down Hearns KO punchs frame by frame, compare it to any punch by Pacman circa 2000s.

Its possible that the need to evolve in that direction stops at the concussion level as that is all the strength they needed, a 6'8" scaled up version of Pacman would have been as amazing as a 3 foot tall praying mantis, but it never evolved because it wasn't necessary (at that time)

6. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    I'm not saying I don't believe the measurements themselves. I just believe something is getting lost in the sauce here because you will never convince me Pac was 30% faster with a single punch on average when compared to Tommy Hearns

kriszhao likes this.
  7. dangerousity

dangerousity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2005
    absolutely not true with strength. Even when you land, the extra strength allows you to deliver more of that impact and even push into it. If your arms are frail, it won’t deliver the same impact.

imagine a 5kg peeled banana landing on a brick wall vs a 5kg iron bar landing. The mass is the same but the results are different. You could say it’s due to the density but I’m referring to the banana crumbling on itself, which is what the human body does when punching at 800+ PSI, how much strength and skill you have will determine how well you can sustain all of that impact without crumbling on yourself.

eltirado likes this.
  8. eltirado

Jul 31, 2013
    Strength in power punching is measured by psi & that is the only strength we can measure.

Trucks vs Roadsters, Hammers vs Bullets. The powerlifters are great at lifting things, but are very weak punchers P4P, so its obviously the wrong direction to gain punching power for a boxer.

Zarate, Hearns, G-Man, Foster, Wilder are very weak (from a weight lifting "strength" pov), but are the Elites of punching power in their divisions.

Powerful punchers look like this...(which is extremely "low strength" in the weight lifting gym).

This content is protected

9. Bukkake

Bukkake Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 20, 2010

Jesus, you have been here for more than 7 years - and if you (should) know anything about boxing, it is that punchers come in all shapes and sizes!

Tua, Tyson, Galento, Langford, Morrison, Liston, Foreman... are just a few of the big punchers, who don't fit your thin-armed weakling profile.

kriszhao and eltirado like this.
  10. eltirado

Jul 31, 2013
    Sir-Bukkake, its a P4P list, so naturally it will favor the thin profile when (every pound matters)

Foreman is an ATG puncher due to size & delivery, but low score P4P due to being a heavyweight

Tua, Tsyon, Hamed...etc are excellent punchers but have low P4P psi ranking. Their punching style is focused on delivering well placed punches without wasting psi.

Having maximum height-reach @ high speed = Maximum psi

A long reach, tall boxer who can punch at high speed, seems simple, but not that simple because boxers are pressured into anabolism via PEDs that have anabolic side-effects. The boxer who can take that "anti-trend" position will do what Wilder did and more...a contrarian approach to the PED fueled anabolic trend that took over boxing for the last 3 decades

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  11. dangerousity

dangerousity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2005
    As someone who has boxed himself, had an understanding of my power, built a lot of muscle and strength without gaining too much weight, I can 100% say without a shadow of doubt that strength plays a key role. I was punch washy harder after I got stronger. It isn’t black and white.

Why do you think fighters do strength and conditioning? Do you think JMMs power in pac4 was just down to extra weight? When he could have had that same weight being bloated as when he fought Floyd?

Others who have had similar experience will say the same thing.

do you think Joshua would hit as hard as he does, or Wlad, if these guys weren’t built like trucks? If they were fat instead but weighed the same? There’s multiple ways to attain power, strength is definitely a factor.

eltirado, kriszhao and Bukkake like this.
  12. eltirado

Jul 31, 2013
    I am 100% certain that your punching power improved with age, due to perfected technique. Not muscle gain, drop the weight and test yourself vs any psi machine, nothing will change regardless of weight flactuations.

JMM would have knocked anybody with that perfect punch, it takes much less psi to KO a human. Landing a full impact shot, results in a KO that falls under precise punching skills, not a P4P issue. Its similar to an excellent driver making the best of whatever his driving, versus a normal person driving a powerful car, in traffic (fight conditions)...the skilled driver will be able to neutralize the big engine advantages...or in a shooting scenario a skilled with a standard issued tool will be able to defeat a standard sentry with an advanced tool

In this thread, we are measured raw power-P4P, not skills or absolute punching power. Otherwise different boxers will be on the top of the list. Its just easier to measure material...really no room to debate...height-reach x speed is pretty much the psi output, some journeymen might score high on psi, but fail to translate it into success for other reasons (matchmaking or lack of precision, timing...etc)

13. Bukkake

Bukkake Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 20, 2010
    You have no doubt put a lot of work into this, and it's always nice to see posters doing some research of their own - rather than just repeating the opinions of others. So cudos for that.

Also, I can understand, that you want to share your findings with the rest of us... but when you come up with stuff like "Edgar Berlanga or Thomas Hearns single punch has more psi than Tyson/Tua" it gets a little crazy. Can't you see that?

eltirado and kriszhao like this.
  14. eltirado

Jul 31, 2013
    Tyson is old today so when hits any psi machine and can't surpass 1000, it will be considered an age issue. Any version of Tyson will never be able to exceed 1000 psi, especially with his body-type.

Mike Tyson ability to KO opponents was due to his impetuous style, impregnable defense, and being ferocious...Not because of basic raw power.

We can test this theory in real life vs an identical PSI machine....You can do it on your own at your own comfort...

Pit your best 5"11" Heavyweight puncher & faster 6'02" Middleweight versus a psi machine...if both throw a hundred punches...The faster-taller middleweight will score the 3 highest scores...It will not be the same as getting them inside the ring, because the psi machine doesn't hit back...

Its just psi and P4P that is why I made this list.

I think Mike Tyson will naturally be the favorite vs Edgar Berlanga or Thomas Hearns, but both Hearns and Berlanga have a higher psi score than Mike Tyson, simply because they are larger framed & faster than Mike Tyson. Andy Ruiz did what mike Tyson would have done, because he was able to connect...Mike Tyson natural muscular body was a psychological extra...not the reason he became a world champion, very few people are naturally built that way, so in Tyson case he was conditioned to move fast as he is so it suited him and his boxing education allowed him to get in and do what needed to be done.

mark ant likes this.
  15. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Wilder has scored more one punch KO`s than AJ, I don`t know if AJ has scored any one punch KO`s.

eltirado likes this.